Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:01:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsThe Spirit of Cricket
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Spirit of Cricket  (Read 2295 times)
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »

A choose-your-own-adventure text game where you are an impromptu replacement official for a short time at a cricket game.  Target audience is fellow Americans that basically have no clue what cricket is.

The man sitting next to you jumps to his feet and cheers, spraying a small amount of the beverage he was sipping a moment ago into a brief vapor above the spectators ahead of him.

Your attention, however is on a small book in your hands, that you found below your seat.

"Spirit of Cricket: Preamble to the Laws"

"Cricket is a game that owes much of its unique appeal to the fact that it should be played not only within its Laws but also within the Spirit of the Game. Any action which is seen..."

Etc., etc...

"2. Fair and unfair play
According to the Laws the umpires are the sole judges of fair and unfair play."

"The umpires may intervene at any time and it is the responsibility of..."

Disclaimer: Playing this game may endanger loved ones and the very fate of humanity. It may also make you rockstar rich and win you the girl of your dreams.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:27:52 PM by J. R. Hill » Logged

hi
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »

This sounds wonderful.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »

Thanks man!  So far I've spent about an hour and a half watching videos and reading up on how cricket is actually played.

If you want to know what kind of direction I'm going with this game, here's a SPOILER choice.
At some point you may be able to DECLARE MARTIAL LAW

I think I have about 80% of what I need to understand to make the game's story, there are just a few gaps in my understanding about the flow of a game and I think I just need to watch an actual cricket match to figure that out.

Next up on the to-do list: learn ChoiceScript.

The plan is to finish this game sometime today or tomorrow.  I may or may not port the finished game to a graphical interface using AGS or FlashPunk, but that depends on whether I get a better idea for a second entry after this.

Edit: Ok, I'm finding as I'm writing that more and more context-specific research has to be done.  I'm fading tonight, so I'll resume coding tomorrow morning.  I think the ETA for this game will be roughly Saturday morning, if not, then Monday morning would finish it off.  Maybe as late as Tuesday if I turn verbose in the writing.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:10:11 PM by J. R. Hill » Logged

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »

Updated first post.  Progressing slowly.

hi
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »

This sounds like a good time -- looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic