Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:39:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsMini Golf Master [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Mini Golf Master [FINISHED]  (Read 15453 times)
whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »

I am torn between:
Going by fond memories of sports games as a kid, I am thinking something in the ball park (no pun intended) of:

-Mini-putt or Golf (Jack Nicklaus Golf!)
-Hockey (NHL 94 style, or Wayne Gretzky Hockey style)
-Or a Ski or Die type game

I am trying to think through scoping these individually, and they are all quite ambitious. Ideally I want something with local multiplayer, because I think that'd be the most fun.

Hrmmm... Undecided

Update: I've landed on mini golf! If I get it done with time to spare, I want to attempt a hockey game as well. Fun!

Update #2:

So I am finished my game! Yay! I've posted the stuff over in the finished game thread.

Now I want to have some fun with it. I'm actually going to play through for fun and find my absolute best scores. Then I am going to post a screenshot of my score card, and open a challenge for everyone to try to beat each other.  Woo, fun! Beer!

Here's a DOWNLOAD LINK for the finished game (as of compo deadline)

Here's a POST COMPO download link for the finished game (currently v1.3)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:55:17 PM by whilefun » Logged

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »

First bit of progress:

I can hit the ball and it moves, bounces, animates (rolls), and slows down based on friction.   Beer! Hand Thumbs Up Right

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »

A bit more progress. Ramps are working mostly, and I implemented the hole

The hole will be adjustable based on the difficulty. So a really easy game means you can fire the ball at the hole at top speed and not quite hit it, but the ball will magnetically start rolling in. A hard game would require very soft touch on the final putt, and a very exact aim.

Fun!  Smiley

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 09:27:59 AM »

Small progress update. Got multi-ball collision working, and fixed some bugs. Also implemented arbitrary angled ramps which work very nicely. I am happy with the progress so far. Coffee

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »

More progress...yay Smiley

Implemented aiming and a working power meter with swing error factor (so if you make a very bad swing, the ball doesn't go exactly where you were aiming)

Still having very occasional "physics freakouts" though which cause the ball to launch into orbit. Oh well...getting there mechanics-wise

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »

I think I am going to retire for the evening. Got basics of players and gameplay in, but they are not working properly yet. Did some preliminary texture work, but it's still just placeholder more or less.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »

good luck, looks like you're making great progress

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:43:31 PM »

good luck, looks like you're making great progress

Thanks Smiley

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »

I just LOL'd at my code:

Code:
// for now, just shoot all the balls since we are only testing with one
ballID = 0;
with(objectBall){
    other.ballID = id;
}//with

This was causing such confounded rage just a moment ago..."WHY ARE RANDOM BALLS MOVING WHEN I PUUUUUUTT?!?!?! Angry"

Anyway...haha...making progress Smiley

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 07:06:16 PM »

Progress for the evening. Player rotation and "hole done" works for each player and all players (to move to next hole).

But I broke something in the "power meter" shooting mechanism that shoots all the balls. Need to re-factor that code.

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »

Just a little progress today. Fixed "all balls move at once" issues. But I am still working out some kinks in wall collision sticking "inside the wall" stuff.  Durr...? Will work on that tomorrow...

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »

Small progress update: Collisions are behaving 99% better. I improved this by doing 2 things: actually changing the angles for each wall (d'oh) and adding little 45 degree corner bits so that there were no seams present for orthogonal wall objects.

I also got the tee working such that a shot that lands back on the tee requires a mulligan or scratch shot be taken.

Time to play with some more obstacles, ramps, and other real world fun mini golf stuff.  Smiley

P.S. the tiny things near the walls were just little flashing debug objects I made. They'll be gone soon.

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »

Some more progress! Woohoo! Got regular and moving obstacles working. Also added those cool "teleport cups" (where the ball goes in the cup, goes down a pipe then comes out somewhere else on the hole). I've also been playing with the physics and adjusting the friction value of the "grass" and added some absorbing wall factors so that it's more like a golf ball and less like a hockey puck.

Next, I want to add more hazards like water. And maybe add ramps and stuff where you can jump/gap hazards if you shoot hard enough.

It's actually getting pretty fun, because all the little systems are interacting. For example, player 3 hit player 1's ball and knocked it down the teleport pipe where it was hit by a moving obstacle and knocked into a sand trap.  Shocked Neat!

Kaoseater
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 08:54:16 PM »

Looks like you're doing heaps of work, can't wait to see how it finishes up.
whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 06:01:47 PM »

Looks like you're doing heaps of work, can't wait to see how it finishes up.

Thanks Smiley

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »

An unexciting update...just chipping away at tedious things. Got a game setup screen working, and am sorting out game state management (switching holes, managing scores, ball states, etc.)

lukke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 12:21:33 AM »

I was totally hooked up on golf games as a kid.
Can't wait to play this game, looks like great fun.
Video ? Addicted
whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »

I was totally hooked up on golf games as a kid.
Can't wait to play this game, looks like great fun.
Video ? Addicted

A very brief and crude video, but here's how it looks (in poorly frame-rated SD):

Smiley

Now back to work! hehe.

lukke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 01:01:08 AM »

Thank you!
Will you add FXs and such, going for a cartoon way, or keep a more serious style ?
whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 04:33:19 AM »

Thank you!
Will you add FXs and such, going for a cartoon way, or keep a more serious style ?

I think I want to make it a mix of both actually Smiley

Edit: And by that I mean semi-realistic looking balls, grass, etc. but with some juicy fun visual and audio effects. So serious looking, but not serious.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:28:15 AM by whilefun » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic