Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:05:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSports"This what is sport in hinterlands!"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "This what is sport in hinterlands!"  (Read 5547 times)
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2012, 05:04:47 AM »

Update: scroll down for mockup and description!

I like to throw knives. It's kind of a sport.
We should make a game about people throwing knives at each other, and we should try to make that seem like a sport. Maybe it's like horseshoes, but with knives. And you lose points if you kill each other. Or you get extra points if you kill each other. Actually, this sounds really good.

I can do art and music. You can program?
My art looks like this.
My music sounds like this.

I would write more words or draw some mockups, but I need to go to work.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 02:46:04 PM by Ness Kain » Logged

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »

I like this, just because it reminds me of Beach Head II:

(Skip ahead to about 02:15 or so)

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »

Oh, man. That's glorious.

(Mockup coming tonight or tomorrow, hopefully.)

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »

I think I know what we're doing now!

This would probably be a game for two local players, unless somebody out there is ambitious enough to do AI or online multiplayer.
Basically, the objective would be to stick knives in the posts on the opposite end of the field. Each post can hold, say, two or three knives. Anything else bounces off the already-stuck knives -- so there's a maximum number of possible points that can be scored. Maybe a match is divided into two or three rounds, and each round is timed.
Players would be able to deflect oncoming knives with their own, so as to defend their posts.
Hitting the opponent directly with a knife is a foul (free throw or something like that), but injuries are sustained (injured people move slower and throw with less accuracy), so players could elect to play by an alternate strategy of trying to harm the other player just slightly in order to have an advantage overall. If somebody is injured too much and is incapacitated, however, the other player is disqualified and forfeits the whole match.

I'd like to make the bare-bones game first, but make it highly polished, with all the shadows and footprints and suchlike you see in the mockup, full audio (including voices for the characters?), et cetera.
Beyond the competition, though -- assuming the game is fun enough we want to keep working on it -- it would be cool to add more characters, different knives with varying attributes (speed, accuracy, ease of deflection), doubles matches, and things like that.

I'm going to keep working on visual assets, but obviously if I don't find a programmer this game won't actually happen. If anyone is interested, let me know!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:36:56 PM by Ness Kain » Logged

My music.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 05:17:13 PM »

I hope someone bites on this one, it sounds great and the mockup is glorious  Smiley
Spring Missile
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »

I'm interested, I love your music and art Smiley I'll send you a PM Smiley

Theophilus
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »

Yo, I twitter'd you but i'm not sure you got it. I'd like to work on this game with you.

here's a list of my games.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 05:45:45 AM »

Thanks for the interest, everybody!

I didn't get any tweets from you, Shelby; I don't know what happened there. But, yes, we should do this! I will message you or something later today after I get home again.

Joey- Thanks; maybe some different time down the road we can do something. Since more than one person expressed interest (I guess I wasn't really expecting that), I'd prefer to work with Shelby as I already know him. No hard feelings!

My music.
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »

I like where this is going!

(Also this idea sounds much more manageable and focussed like what we attempted for the versus compo! And much easier to make fun!)

Good luck you guys, will watch closely!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 09:40:29 PM »

This art is adorable! I can't wait for this one.  Smiley
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 07:23:35 AM »

Thanks, guys!

(Also this idea sounds much more manageable and focussed like what we attempted for the versus compo! And much easier to make fun!)
Ha; yes. If nothing else, I feel like that was one of those valuable what-not-to-do learning experiences.

My music.
TobiasW
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 07:53:17 AM »

If I wasn't 4 days late to the party, I would've expressed interest too. Message me if Shelby wants to drop out Durr...?

Also we demand progress! Where is the first build!

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »

Sadly, we have little to show right now, but I thought I would show up anyhow just to say we are making progress on this, and we still hope to have something vaguely game-esque by the deadline!

My music.
Mallus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 05:36:42 AM »

Great art. Bring it to life!
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »

I'm just about finished with all I'm going to try to do for the competition build.
This thread is now the "motivate Shelby" thread. Smiley

My music.
TobiasW
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »

Shelby, you better do something cool! Evil

PS: Post some art meanwhile!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic