Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:29:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsTiny Soccer Manager Stories [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Soccer Manager Stories [FINISHED]  (Read 25846 times)
Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2012, 02:24:18 PM »

Download the game (Windows Only): http://www.mediafire.com/?6bozovtg7wh3u9h

Do you remember your Physical Education classes in 8th grade ? Well...Tiny Soccer Manager Stories might help you.

Why Tiny ?
Obviously because I'm not able to do something big in less than a month.

Why Soccer ?
Because soccer implies teams, and that's all the game is about.

Why Manager ?
Because you endorse the role of a P.E teacher in this mathematical puzzle.

Why Stories ?
Hmm...you'll see.

I tried to craft an experience more than I tried to craft a game. So...if you don't like the game, you might want to hold on to get the experience. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 03:16:20 AM by Pierrec » Logged

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »

Awesome!

Lovin the graphics.

hi
Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 03:36:44 AM »

Thank you J.R.

And here's the whole team :

The game might turn into a puzzle eventually...we'll see. I'm working on Adventure Game Studio, so I have a lot of coding limitations.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 02:18:05 PM by Pierrec » Logged

Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:30:16 AM »

Still Working on it, but now, I know precisely what I am doing.

You are a sport teacher in school, with a class of 12-14 years old kids, and you have to make the teams for the game to be well balanced. This is going to be a mathematical puzzle, but with a narration in it.

Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 05:10:50 AM »

I eventually came up with something playable!
The game is far from being finished, there are a lot of thing I still want to add, to change...so much that I need some feedback to know on what I should work first!

Tiny Football Manager Stories (and by football I mean soccer) is somehow a narrative puzzle. I exactly know what I'm trying to do, but I'm not sure it works so, if you could give me some feedback, it would be really helpful. What do you feel while playing the game ?

I think it takes around 30 minutes to finish it but I can't be sure

Here's the link (windows only, Ctrl+Q to quit, instructions in game...sort of) :
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wl9p0l2q2q4cmv6

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 03:17:17 AM by Pierrec » Logged

MapiMopi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »

It's nice but if I get it right there's only one puzzle? And the same puzzle become boring quickly.

Though, if there would be an interesting story going on, I'd love it. Like visual novel, with not just narration, but some action in text with poor visual effects.
You can make a VN with same character sprites, you even have traits for everyone, only need to add few backgrounds and huge amount of text.

Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:30:05 AM »

It didn't turn out as a visual novel, but I try to make the puzzles more easy and entertaining. Now You also can skip a puzzle by pressing Escape if it's getting too boring/hard.

The game is finished by the way. See the firt post for details.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?6bozovtg7wh3u9h

felipezille
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 05:08:22 AM »

I love it, the narration and background sounds make it feel very much alive, and the characters are just awesome. Also the game itself is engaging, I don't find it boring at all, in fact I fond its math style.

Toast Left Cheers to a well done job!

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 05:28:12 AM »

A logical and a sports game - cool! I am delighted by the game's mood and aesthetics. The music and the sound of kids playng, it all made cheer up a little.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 10:54:58 AM »

Your game was amazing! Cry

This is the best game I've played so far I think. Very original take on the theme.

Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 11:31:27 AM »

Thanks a lot! :D

MapiMopi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 08:08:57 PM »

I loved the story!
Honestly, I wouldn't read it without skip button. Not because the puzzle is lame (it was a great idea when puzzle was affected by the story and how children are changing), just that I don't have lots of spare time.
This game diffidently is one of the coolest games on this compo.

Fromage de Soja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 11:33:18 PM »

This was a very charming piece. The story was thoughtful and touched on a lot of interesting topics without being heavy handed about any of them. It was a great touch how each kid had a unique arc within the story, and how they interacted. That last kid still creeps me out though. Great job Pierrec!
felipezille
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 03:33:31 AM »

This game diffidently is one of the coolest games on this compo.

I second that  Smiley
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »

You definitely have a gift for telling amusing stories! I laughed out loud at the Louis thing near the end. I'm now wondering if the story can be changed at all given different team alignments; however, the puzzle part I'm not fond of at all and ended up solving it by brute force each time. :/ Opaque as though the puzzling may be, I enjoyed how it played a part in the storytelling (like finding out about Isa's problem before it was made plain and evident). So the way I played this was: first I explored the relationships between the characters by moving them from team to team and watching how their numbers changed, then I'd just brute-force my way to a solution in order to continue.

Anyway, great game you have here. Grew fond of the whole cast.

P.S.: I tried, but I never figured out Louis.

claudiom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 12:38:02 AM »

Very nice idea. I loved the story. The puzzle is interesting but it's too repetitive. I'd like to see this game with more polishing such as animations to make things less static when playing.

Murilo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »

Interesting. I played it to the end just because of the story. As for the puzzles I only solved a couple of them and skipped the rest. Nice game overall!!

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »

You did a really great job on this.  The narrative was quite captivating, with each of the kids' storylines.  I had no problem with the actual puzzles, either.  I liked the dynamics of each kid reacting to each other, and would take their eccentricities into account even when I ended up at the "brute force" state of things.  It was, after all, the point to get to know everybody well enough to keep things fair.

Very well done.
donhilo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 02:47:17 PM »

This game was really good, I liked the puzzling stuff and the story was really nice how it unfolded. Congratulations, it was really really engaging.
jacksnappert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 11:54:28 PM »

This was so charming! The mechanic was simple and elegant, but the narrative sure wasn't (so great to see some of those growing up topics touched upon in a game for once). I have to second the brute forcing after a while, I'm not sure how it could be adjusted to work out a bit more, but I still thought the gameplay progression was super, super good.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic