Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 02:53:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XVI- Character Theme: Maverick Denizen Wins!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XVI- Character Theme: Maverick Denizen Wins!  (Read 6197 times)
medieval
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »

I could get an entry up before wednesday.
JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2012, 01:35:34 PM »

I am ok with letting it run till Wednesday. Hopefully that will let others submit as well. I am looking forward to hearing more entries. So we will move the dead line to Nov 21 at midnight.

Peregrinus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2012, 05:38:07 AM »

I can't say for sure, but I guess it could help haha!

There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

I'm a composer. If you would like to hear my work : http://soundcloud.com/n-galipeau
Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2012, 06:01:06 AM »

Pretty cool entry there, Bert!  Wink

Peregrinus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »

Sorry about that, but I won't be able to post a track for this challenge. Things won't stop getting in the way of it!

Anyhow, I'll still finish it and post it here once it is done. Smiley

There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

I'm a composer. If you would like to hear my work : http://soundcloud.com/n-galipeau
medieval
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 02:57:41 PM »

shit.. Unfortunately I won't be able to submit an entry before due time, sorry for requesting the extension in the first place.
Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »

shit.. Unfortunately I won't be able to submit an entry before due time, sorry for requesting the extension in the first place.
No worries man, hope you'll have better luck next time!

Bit By Bit Sound
Level 0

Great music is more important that great graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2012, 05:25:16 PM »

Pretty cool entry there, Bert!  Wink

Thanks Maverick! I really enjoyed your entry as well.  Smiley
JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2012, 09:59:28 AM »

Ok humans I will be posting my thoughts on all the entries and announcing the winner later today. So for the delay but I had lots of holiday stuff happening yesterday.

KeepItSimple
Level 0

Classically trained composer and trumpet player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2012, 03:18:15 PM »

it's a bummer that i couldn't do this one due to real-life related stuff. good luck everyone.

Keep it simple.
JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2012, 08:36:14 PM »

Python Blue: Dirk The Thug
The mood set by this piece is very heavy. I really like the swells. I would have liked them to be slightly louder in the mix. I think it fits very well with the tragic background of your character. That being said I also feel like its dimension. Going strictly on this piece gives the impression that Dirk lacks real depth. Over all nicely done.

Ray Wonder: Bell Avenue Tatl & Tael
Your instrument choices for this piece are spot on. I also like this style of writing. Having a single harmonic line remain constant throughout the piece while the harmony and melody modulate is something I am quite fond of. There are a few minor things that bugged me. There are a few section where there is either some clipping or some audio clips that were not crossfaded. Also the transition 0:34 is a little sloppy. I little extra automation there would go a long way. I really enjoyed listening to this.

Maverick Denizen: Sin-Apss-Theme
I really love the way the main synth in the first section sweeps through the stereo field. Very Cool! Both the character and its theme remind me of a masculine GLados. At 0:35 when the harmony comes in I thought that could have been a little more forward in the mix. All the transitions are very cool and interesting with lots of nice subtle details. I listened to this quite a few times and continued to find new things with each listen. Very nicely done.

Jacob Morrison-Gardiner: Rhumbal with El Pulpo
I crack up every time I think about playing this character in a D&D game. The music really captures the characters persona. Its a Light hearted comical piece and I found it very amusing. The mix is uneven and needs some work. The instruments sound like they are in very different spaces. The guitar has a little to much low end and needs some more EQing. This was a fun piece of music.

JSX2007: Hoisin
I really want to play a game with this character. Ferro-fluid and an upgradeable magnetic field emitter my imagination went crazy with the possibilities. I really liked the melody in your piece and the bass line made me miss the 80's. Given the polymorphic nature of your character I was hoping for a little more variation. I thought the high-hats and snare in the end were a little loud. other than that very good piece. Now someone please make this a game and bring me some Pho.

8thmode: Marios theme
This melody is very pretty. It was very interesting to think of Mario in this way. The way you played with resolution throughout this piece was very cool. The automation is done well. The only thing that was a little weird was that the piano in the beginning is a little to percussive. Great job!

MegaZoneEX: Saar: The savior :The wanderer
This was a pretty interesting piece. I like the melody but i feel like it gets lost in the arpeggios. The chip sounds are pretty cool. there are a few that are a little to harsh like around 0:47. The composition is solid but the mix needs work. I think what this tells me about Saar is that he is full of confusion and struggle. I would like to hear this piece again with a little more time spent on the mix.

Bert Like Sounds: Goemon's theme
This could very easily been a track from the ost. You did a great job matching the kind of mix and instrumentation that was used in mystical ninja starring Goemon. All the music in that game had a very mono sort of quality that was very cool and you captured that quite well while still letting the instruments have there own space. From 0:33 to 0:39 i felt like it was a little empty. keep up the good work.

Trurkowski: Frynic
The instrument you produced for this piece are very cool. The composition of this piece is also very nice. The mix for the toms is cool it has no center image so it dosnt get in the way of the big bass drums. The transition at 2:12 is very pretty. The 6/8 part that comes after that feels like it is a measure to long before the other instruments come in. I also noticed you used your phasing trick with the high end. Its an interesting effect but it could have been a little more subtle.

AND THE WINNER IS!!!

Maverick Denizen: Sin-Aps's theme.

I really thought you captured the character beautifully and at no point during the piece was I bored.

This was very hard to judge because there were so many great entries. Thank you so much for participating everyone. I look forward to participating in the next competition. 

8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »

Congrats Maverick!
Looking forward to seeing what the next theme is!
trurkowski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »

Hmmmmmm I didn't use any phasing (nor did I hear that) I need new listening devices.

I still need to work on mah mixing :p

CONGRATULASHUNS MAVERICK!

looking forward to see what you've got in store for us
 Big Laff Toast Right

Sound Design & Music Composition<br />http://soundcloud.com/trurkowski
JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2012, 03:57:09 AM »

@Trurkowski there is definitely something happening in the the high end like from 4k up. I have heard it in quite a few of your mixes. If it is not intentional that is very strange. It's sounds kind of like running your mix through a highpass filter set at 2-4k and then sending that through a leslie cab and sending it back to the main bus.

trurkowski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2012, 04:45:53 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, I've never noticed it before. I'm still working with a pretty crappy setup, been saving to get a new set of monitors and hopefully some foam for the room. I'm going to see if I can Isolate the problem.

trurkowski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2012, 06:18:32 AM »

Ya know what, i just realized, one of the pads I layered in has that phasing (for this song at least)

Bit By Bit Sound
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »

Congrats Maverick!
Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2012, 07:44:03 AM »

Wow, I have to say, this took me somewhat as a suprise!
At any rate I'm really grateful, your decision made me incredibly happy! There were many amazing tunes entered for contest, and I definitely feel like congratulating everyone, one by one!  Gentleman Keep rocking guys, I'm really looking forward to listen to the entries for the new challenge - which I will post either today or tomorrow depending on my free time.
Now that it's over, I can also confess that my personal favourite was Golemon's Theme from Bert Like Sounds - for me that was the one that sounded the most as a proper video game tune, and its complexity and style really brought its place in my heart. Wink Bert, if you read me, there will be no excuse for you for not bringing a new track for the next challenge!  Wink
Thank you once again, it was a pleasure both to take a part in the contest and to hear all the creative tracks that were entered!
See you all in the TIGSource Musical Challenge XVII!  Smiley

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »

Thank you very much for the critique, JudahRoydes. Smiley And congrats, Maverick! Wink

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Bit By Bit Sound
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »

Wow, I have to say, this took me somewhat as a suprise!
At any rate I'm really grateful, your decision made me incredibly happy! There were many amazing tunes entered for contest, and I definitely feel like congratulating everyone, one by one!  Gentleman Keep rocking guys, I'm really looking forward to listen to the entries for the new challenge - which I will post either today or tomorrow depending on my free time.
Now that it's over, I can also confess that my personal favourite was Golemon's Theme from Bert Like Sounds - for me that was the one that sounded the most as a proper video game tune, and its complexity and style really brought its place in my heart. Wink Bert, if you read me, there will be no excuse for you for not bringing a new track for the next challenge!  Wink
Thank you once again, it was a pleasure both to take a part in the contest and to hear all the creative tracks that were entered!
See you all in the TIGSource Musical Challenge XVII!  Smiley

Thanks for the kind words Maverick, it really means a lot to me!  Grin I'll definitely do my best to participate in the next challenge. Looking forward to all the new entries everyone!  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic