Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:22:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsSki Joust
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ski Joust  (Read 3976 times)
marnaouf
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2012, 02:27:06 AM »

What do you get when you mix skiing, ragdoll physics and violence: Ski Joust. Basically, you make a ski jump and then have to fight a fellow skier in mid air using your skis and ski poles. I know the game would work in 3d but I have no experience with 3d and barely have any time to work on the game as is so its going to be 2d. For controls, you control when the player jumps (timing), his in-air rotation, his arm movement and his jump height (you can slightly move up and down in air); even though all of this is still subject to change.

Now, the problem is I don't have a lot of free time at the moment because of school. I'm doing IB, if any of you know it Sad and so I don't usually find a lot of time to work on my games during the week. I am going to try my best to finish the game before the deadline but if I don't I think I'm still going to try and finish it.

I plan on using as3 and most probably flashpunk. For the physics I plan on using a physics engine. I'm currently about to try out nape to see how it works with flashpunk. I'd really appreciate advice on which as3 physics engine is best especially with flashpunk.

This is my checklist of things I plan on adding as I develop the game:

• Get the ragdoll physics working
  • Implement the basic game (Hopefully I can finish this by the end of the week)
  • Particle Blood and Gore
  • Unlockable characters with their own unique weapons
  • My own unique graphics and sound

Ok so thats the idea I have in mind at the moment. Even though it might change, you never know. Gonna start working on it immediately and will keep updating this post as I make progress. I'd also love to hear what you think about the idea and the game. I'm open to all criticism and suggestions.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 08:40:58 AM »

Good to see another Jousting game in this compo. I am looking forward to seeing where you take this.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
marnaouf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »

Update:

Today didn't go exactly as planned. After I made my initial post I had planned on working but instead got sidetracked and didn't get to work until around 5. I then played around with Nape and Flashpunk. I had to stop at 7, though, cuz I went out to watch Wreck it Ralph which was a great movie and completely worth losing time working. When I got home I got down to buissness immediately and I now have nape running with flashpunk along with a simple demo.

Tomorrow I plan on organizing my code, building nape's functionality into flashpunk and getting to work on ragdolls.

And so ends day 1 of TIGCOMPO, for me that is. Didn't really get much done but I did learn some new things so it was alright.

And Wilson, thanks. Your game looks pretty sweet. Looking forward to playing it.
marnaouf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 07:15:10 AM »

Update:

So, I've been working on the game in my free time. Although, I still have a lot of work to do. I've mainly been getting used to Nape throughout this week. Like all new things it takes awhile to learn and get used to. At the moment, I have Nape up and running and some crude ski slopes and boxes instead of ragdolls.

The main reason I haven't done more work is school has really been taking up a lot of my time but now that the weekend is upon us I hope to get a lot more done and hopefully post a playable build of the game, very soon. Tomorrow I'll try to get some screenshots up even though theres really nothing to see.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »

I can understand the onset of school... takes up so much time.

I can't wait to see screenshots!
marnaouf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 04:16:44 AM »

So here comes a post I really hoped I wouldn't have to make when I started working on this game...

It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to finish the game in time. I just didn't find enough time to finish it. This is mostly due to school and cause of some technical aspects of the game (Getting the ragdoll physics working properly) that took up a lot of time.
I still plan on working on the game but I'm gonna put it aside for now. I really want to try to make the game 3d so maybe when I have the time I'll try that.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic