Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:07:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsVelodrome [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Velodrome [FINISHED]  (Read 17611 times)
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »

Didn't realize at first that the dot matrix display with the triangles right in the middle was the visual cue to the beat (I first thought it was responding to my own input). Wow, the game's super picky with the timing! What if the ratings were more fine-grained than just 'miss', 'OK', and 'perfect', to get a better sense of evolution, perhaps?

I sadly played it myself, but I can see this becoming very competitive with more people. If the track was a figure-eight, for instance, you would not have the problem of losing all visual reference to who's doing better as with this oval-shaped track, by the way, which sounds ideal for heated competitions. "Ooh, I'm about to overtake you!," and such.

Anyway, cool concept. I'm partial to rhythm games; mapping timing accuracy with distance travelled is a great idea.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »

Looking very swish. Unfortunately I have no rythm so I was hopeless. I managed a bit of a run of perfects but most of the time I get misses. I did notice there isn't much of a penalty to mashing the keys. Also the visual cues had no lead in. In most rythm games you can see the button press approuching on the display. That might help those of us with no rythm. All the same, good stuff Hand Thumbs Up Left

arcsin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »

- really elegant UI, I like the sapient mixture of text and vector art, it reminds me of Wipeout and The Designers Republic
- the game mechanic is simple but really effective
- very well designed. bravo!
louroboros
Level 0

wat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »

Very cool. My cup of tea, totally. The A/V sync calibration feature is something I wish more online games had.

Here's something interesting: I first tried it twice, keeping my eye on the "OK/Good/Perfect" indicator kinda like I would in DDR; my scores being 5225 and then 5248. Then I tried it a third time with my eyes closed and focused entirely on the rhythm, and got 5345 -- a pretty substantial improvement, if you ask me. Do you know what a "perfect" score is?

A few suggestions:

- It would be pretty cool to have a "ghost" version of your personal-best to race against, for us lonely single-players.
 - The simplicity of the gameplay is one of its selling points, but did you try spicing it up by throwing in "mines" that make you skip a beat, or "jumps" that require you to hit both buttons, or anything like that?

Nevertheless, this is a very slick and polished game.  Beer!

Glassmoon
Level 0

Matthew Brown

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 02:41:08 AM »

@arcsin

Thanks. Good spot on the art style, I'm a huge fan of The Designers Republic and was looking through some of their stuff for inspiration when designing the menu Smiley

@louroboros

Cheers! I've never managed to work out exactly what the perfect score would be as it adds speed to the rider rather score directly so it can be tricky to calculate, but the best I ever managed was around 5400, so you're doing pretty well. Like the idea of adding a ghost mode and obstacles on the track, if I ever re-visit this idea I'd definitely give them a go, as well as adding more complex input rhythms and stuff.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic