Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:39:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPixel: ru² -- A color theory based puzzle/platformer/shooter.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel: ru² -- A color theory based puzzle/platformer/shooter.  (Read 1540 times)
Wolfenhex
Level 0

Hello.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:34:49 PM »

Hello!

I would like to get some feedback from fellow developers on a game me and my fiancee have been working on in our space time for almost two years.  The game is called Pixel: ru² (are you squared) and it is a combination of a platformer and a shooter, but there are also a lot of puzzle elements as well.

The game revolves around colors.  You need to change your color to get through barriers by adding or removing primary colors.  If you're blue and you need to get through a magenta barrier, you need to find a switch that adds red.  The combat is also color based.  You need to shoot enemies with the opposite color to turn them white and make them a dead pixel.

Color theory is not the only mechanic that stands out in Pixel, there is also gravity manipulation.  Not only are you able to jump, but you can also flip your gravity.  On top of that, there are also switches around levels that will change your gravity orientation to the rest of the level or the gravity of other objects you push into the switch.

Our goal was to create a game that tested both your physical and mental skills.  After taking the game to several events and having other people play it, we feel like we achieved this goal.  The game may sound complex, but once players started playing it and learning the different mechanics, it worked out really well and everything fits together.

Here is a gameplay video if you would like to see what it's like:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ymx_oYQc1HE

There is also a level editor built into the game.  It is based around dragging and dropping blocks, but offers a lot of options for anyone that wants to make a more complex level.  There is even a logic system built into it with nodes that can be chained together.

If you'd like to give the game a try, you can download a demo of the latest build at:
AreYouSquared.com

The current build is Windows only at the moment, but we are using Mono to make a Linux version as well.

Thank you for your time and for any feedback.

Wolfenhex | Check out my game Pixel: ru² @ AreYouSquared.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic