Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:29:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGunbox
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Gunbox  (Read 24557 times)
poe
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2012, 04:16:17 PM »

Progress Update

Game runs great locally, runs like crap online. Going to change some stuff around to trust the client a bunch since hey, we're playing with friends anyways right? It should make the game much more playable. I'll let you guys know when it runs better.

Here's the current version setup so it will only play singleplayer:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53265438/Gunbox.rar

I don't want to bother making it so you can play multiplayer with it because it truly is unplayable unless you're on a LAN. So feedback is welcome but the next update will just be multiplayer running fine.

Run server.exe in the server folder, and then run client.exe in the client folder.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:26:08 PM by poe » Logged
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2012, 03:14:11 PM »

Progress Update

Game runs great locally, runs like crap online. Going to change some stuff around to trust the client a bunch since hey, we're playing with friends anyways right? It should make the game much more playable. I'll let you guys know when it runs better.

I don't want to bother making it so you can play multiplayer with it because it truly is unplayable unless you're on a LAN. So feedback is welcome but the next update will just be multiplayer running fine.

Run server.exe in the server folder, and then run client.exe in the client folder.

I tried this yesterday and it worked pretty good except for typing in the chat which can become a bit annoying. It tends to print out letters too fast.... perhaps add some delay?
poe
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »

Progress Update

I tried this yesterday and it worked pretty good except for typing in the chat which can become a bit annoying. It tends to print out letters too fast.... perhaps add some delay?

Glad to hear it ran alright, yeah I still don't have text input nailed down but I'll figure it out soon. I have to do it before the next Six Sided Sanctuary update, so.
poe
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »

Restarted from scratch to get it running better, currently done:

Loading maps, very much improved, currently not from the server though
Movement, now local and much smoother
Pistol, pew pew

Reset devlog icon accordingly. The game now actually runs in a fashion that isn't disgusting Smiley
poe
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2013, 07:42:47 PM »

Added in mobs, now also local (though the server will sync them every once and a while)
Added in "vending machines" use them to start rounds, buy guns, gamble

I've changed the design of the game a bit. I plan on having different game modes now, the super crate box clone will be a small piece of the game, and not the main mode. The main mode will be survival, where you can buy upgrades to yourself (additional speed, damage, armor, gun of your choice, etc)

In survival you try to get through as many waves as you possibly can with your team. Not sure if every map will support every mode, but most likely this will be the case.
poe
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »

Added in the gunbox vending machine, takes money and gives a random weapon
Added knockback from enemies, and health

Here's a video of what I have so far:

Thos blue popup things show what you're doing to other players, and they can take your reward from the gunbox if you feel like sharing.

Those little yellow things the mobs drop are coins/xp/whatever you'll use it to buy upgrades and guns.

The top left thing is a progress bar of how many enemies you killed/are left.
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »

Yay this is still alive. Keep it up  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »

Not sure if you ever fixed it, but you spelled grenade as "genade".

poe
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2013, 01:25:56 PM »

Some backgrounds in the game now.

Not sure if you ever fixed it, but you spelled grenade as "genade".

lol, never noticed. This is completely rewritten from scratch though so I'll make sure I spell it right this time Smiley

Gotta add in bats (half done, for some reason they won't cooperate, gotta try at a later time) and upgrade machines next. Not sure what I'm going to do with the different skins but I'll definitely use them.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2013, 04:24:41 PM »

Sorry you had to restart, trust me, I feel your pain. Anyways, at least it looks like you're getting back to where you were pretty fast! Keep up the good work!
poe
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »

Sorry you had to restart, trust me, I feel your pain. Anyways, at least it looks like you're getting back to where you were pretty fast! Keep up the good work!

Sorry to hear you've had to restart, I didn't but I wanted to clean up the game a bit more and make it run better. Yeah I have mostly everything I had before.

Main menu will be interactive just like Spelunky  Noir
The speech bubble thing is for logging in. The idea is you login with that and then the house opens up, inside the house you will enter an ip and then jump in the pit. There will also be stats and stuff in the house. Yes I know it isn't a house right now and it's badly mapped, but that's because it's still a concept ;p

Launching a local game will be possible too, and won't require logging in.
poe
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »

Animated title screen fade out thing.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2013, 04:01:51 AM »

I'm not really fond of the mixed pixel sizes, but looks wonderful otherwise
poe
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2013, 11:42:21 AM »

Anything that isn't the correct size of pixels is most likely because it's a placeholder Smiley
poe
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2013, 05:28:16 PM »

Just a video of what I have so far. I'll have a demo once I fix the following:
Remove players when they leave
Smooth out player movement
Restart when everyone is dead
Flip other players when they change direction

You will need an account here to play:
http://www.poega.me/index.php

(Let me know what your username is because I'm going to keep the game in a private beta sorta thing while I'm still working on it)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:53:10 PM by poe » Logged
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »

I want in on teh private beta! Username is Code_Assassin on your forums Smiley
OnionBlaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »

Been looking at this game for a while now. I want to be in on the private beta too! My username on there's OnionBlaze.  Coffee

poe
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »

Added you both to the beta group, so you should be able to see a forum that was previously hidden Smiley. I'll post the build in there but I'll post here when I have up the builds.
geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »

I am also interested in partaking in the beta!
My usernames the same as on here.
poe
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »

Added you, I should have a build up in a few hours Smiley Just going to do some finishing touches/testing on my own to catch possible bugs.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic