Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:02:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsSugar Loco Wrestling [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sugar Loco Wrestling [FINISHED]  (Read 8239 times)
GreyShock
Level 0

Deconstructeam

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:12:20 AM »

SUGAR LOCO WRESTLING

Finished on time!

PLAY SUGAR LOCO WRESTLING

This is an online multiplayer game. The matching is automatic so, you need luck to found someone playing or... tell a friend to connect so you can share a game with him :D

Further instructions on the play page!

-------------------------------------------
Journal

Sugar Loco Wrestling is a multiplayer minigame starred by wrestling stereotipes wearing aprons and beating them off with cakes. The game will have two main phases:

The first one, a minute to make all the cakes we can with a limited amount of ingredients, wich will affect the behaviours of the cakes when we launch them (speed, strength, bouncing, multiple shot...); and in the second one, the players will fight against each other on a wrestling ring launching the cakes they’ve made to each other in order to get their rivals dirty during three assaults. The cleaner player at the end of the rounds, will win the game.

PHASE 1

PHASE 2

(Can you guess who the commentators are? Tongue)

We are aiming to an online multiplayer experiencie. This is the first time we try to do something online so... In case of failing, it will remain as a local multiplayer game and work the online after the compo Tongue

There will be just 4 characters with a secret ingredient for each. We hope you like this cake! :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:42:08 PM by GreyShock » Logged

Sólo el que intenta cien mil veces lo absurdo es capaz de lograr lo imposible.
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:41:39 AM »

Legen... wait for it DARY!

The character sprites are looking really good! Impatient to see how this game goes.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:42:53 PM »

I like the idea of influencing how your projectiles work, and having each character use a 'secret ingredient' is just ingenious. I can't wait to see some gameplay!
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 04:48:43 AM »

Haha oh man this is looking pretty great!
NightPatrol
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 05:15:45 AM »

This looks pretty sweet, haha  Wink I don't know who the grey-haired commentator is, but my guess on the guy with the black/yellow flowered shirt and a hat is Hunter S. Thompson?
GreyShock
Level 0

Deconstructeam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 05:29:28 AM »

Glad you like it! Smiley

It's Johnny Depp at Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, so you kinda guessed it! Wink

More images! This ones are for the title intro. A fighter getting ready before the bittersweet combat that awaits him at the stadium.

And a promo poster :D

Oven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 10:08:02 AM »

Looks great so far, can't wait to try it out.
GreyShock
Level 0

Deconstructeam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 12:47:30 AM »

Hi!

I noticed I didn't speak about the technical issues of this project. Now I just setted the online platform I think it's time to :D

I'm developing Sugar Loco Wrestling in HTML5 with ImpactJS, it'll played on browser, and it will be 1vs1 multiplayer online (2vs2 as shown on the first mock up is too hard for the deadline). The online communication is done with node.js on a heroku server. I host the game on my own server (www.deconstructeam.com) and use heroku for sending and broadcasting actions to all the players.

The project at this moment has the main controls already done, and 5 out of 11 ingredientes programmed (The way ingredients interact each other on a 3 layer cake provides and awesome emergent gameplay  Addicted, beyond expected).

Now I'm working on the lag compensation for the online... I think I'll go with a mixed strategy of key capturing and absolut positions. I'd like to make the online all about absolut coordinates but heroku does not admit websockets, so the long-polling alternative may stress to much with constant refresh. So, I'll send the keys the player is pressing to the opponent and reproduce his actions on the other view, and every... 0.4 seconds (testing pending) check by absolute coordinates if everything is OK on the two clients.

Here you are another screen. This will be shown before each round  Well, hello there!

(text pending, it will be probably about cake recipees advice)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:57:49 AM by GreyShock » Logged

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 02:10:49 AM »

Impressive! The idea, the graphics, the progress, everything! WTF Hand Thumbs Up Right

felipezille
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 03:08:25 AM »

Dude, the art is amazing!!!!!  Hand Shake Left No No NO Hand Shake Right
Kaoseater
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 02:06:12 PM »

This is awesome!! Can't wait to see it in action  Beer!
GreyShock
Level 0

Deconstructeam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 01:58:10 AM »

Hi everybody!

We've been working hard this November! I've been programming 15 hours a day, including weekends, since the last two weeks. I thought the game would be easy and fun to develop but, two words made it almost impossible: ONLINE ARCHITECTURE.

I spent 80% of the month developing the online communications and lag compensation, and didn't achieve an excellent result. Due to budget limitations, I had to run node.js and socket.io on a free heroku server that doesn't admit websockets, so I had to figure out a way to come with a playable online experience with a long-polling system, trying to keep the communication under 10-15 messages per second. So, most of the movements of the game are represented on a prediction basis, interpolating positions and, every 5 seconds checking if everything is equal between the 2 clients, and if the positions are too different, correct them with an ugly teleportation.

Eating cake while coding some sugar action.

Moreover, ImpactJS can't run on server side since it needs a window object to work. I didn't feel like hacking the framework so, some parts of the game are authoritative on player's client and some other on the opponent. This means that if you saw that you hit your opponent, you did. But if you saw that you dodged your rival projectile, and he hit you con his client, you will receive damage. I tried the other way but was more frustrating, hitting your opponent and nothing happening.

I felt that I could improve more and more the online system, but hey, and online architecture worths nothing without a game to play Tongue

Here you are some actual gameplay screens:

http://imgur.com/a/1jsnb

We are working on the sound and some additional art right now, see you soon!!

GreyShock
Level 0

Deconstructeam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »

SUGAR LOCO WRESTLING

Finished on time!

PLAY SUGAR LOCO WRESTLING

This is an online multiplayer game. The matching is automatic so, you need luck to found someone playing or... tell a friend to connect so you can share a game with him :D

Further instructions on the play page!

------------------

We let some things out, like the intro and the advices of the trainers between rounds but, at least the game seems to work! I worked hard on compesating the lag and the latency of our crappy cheap server and.. I don't know if this will collapse under many players connecting to it but... We'll have to find out. Come on and play! :D

louroboros
Level 0

wat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »

Oh, sweet! Glad to see another ImpactJS game here. And multiplayer?! Awesome. I will report back once I find an opponent.

And it should go without saying that I love the artwork.

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 04:32:58 PM »

I can explain my frustration with an image:

Indie4Fun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 12:41:06 AM »

OMG, I just played it with my GF and its awesome. The aesthetics is great and the music is hilarious Tongue

Sometimes there is some type of lag as the flying cakes appear from nowhere. But appart from that everything works great Tongue

Kickstarting Izzy's Revenge right now!!

GreyShock
Level 0

Deconstructeam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 03:23:54 AM »

Midgard, your opponent probably disconnected, we didn't made the disconnection detection so there is no message when your opponent leaves the game. We'll work that on the post-compo version.

Since there is too few people playing the game, you probably should call a friend to start a game. We are not very famous Tongue

Glad you liked it Indie4fun!

volando
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 09:11:07 AM »

killing it for the friday karaoke:

x2

y fresa limón
y platano café
melocotontontón melocotontontón
piña por aqui
piña por alli

este tema está dedicado para esas chicas tan guapas