Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:20:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame Development: Why do we do it?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Game Development: Why do we do it?  (Read 6929 times)
godsavant
« on: September 19, 2008, 11:23:06 AM »

I've been thinking about something lately: why do we make games? I've been confused by the people who can look at something great - not even games - without thinking, even for a second, "I wish I could make that". For the most part, a lot of free downloadable and online games are relegated to the shady corners of flash sites or imageboards, having barely seen the light of day, yet this seems to have no effect on the spirits of the development community.
      One could say, "oh, it's because they love what they do", and that's certainly true to a degree, but isn't it also because we want others to play the finished product? Or because we want to get our name out or promote indie development? I'm sure you guys have all those moments, sitting in front of a computer at 3:00 AM working, and thinking to yourself, "why am I doing this? how does this help me?" (provided, of course, that you are developing freeware) Certainly some people (like, arguably, the guy behind 'Bob's Story') do it just so they can tell people they did, and subsequently bathe in an orgy of navel-gazing and self-contentment. We've all suffered from that temptation
      But not everyone looks to gaming as a potential career, even if they have a serious commitment or passion for it, so I'd like to hear the motivations behind the momentous amounts of work TIGgers put into their games.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 11:48:32 AM by godsavant » Logged
Hedenius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 11:32:49 AM »

It's fun.

I actually think it's fun to just program, draw the art and see if i can make it work like i think it should work. I have never released a game although i have created quite a few. I don't think any of them are original/innovative/good enough to be released, but i still had alot of fun creating them. To me, it's like a game in itself to create games.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:37:07 AM »

My story goes something like this: I decided early on in life (when I was 12 or something) that I wanted to improve the world in some major way, like cure cancer or aging or something.

I went to college majoring in biochemistry, intending to do something like that, perhaps to go into nanotechnology. I still remember the structures of most of the amino acids, for instance.

But gradually I realized that the biggest problems in the world, and the largest obstacles, are not scientific or technological, but cultural and psychological. I also realized that I was much better at creating games than I was at curing disease and the like. There were people who really enjoy science and technology already, who do it for fun as a hobby, whereas for fun as a hobby I made games instead.

So it made more sense to me to make games as a career rather than becoming a researcher, because hopefully through games I could in a small way influence culture and improve people's lives on an individual basis, which is really the biggest problem in the world. War, famine, disasters and all that have as their source the unhappiness and immaturity of individual people, and games and other forms of art are a way of improving that.

I also knew that just working for others as an employee, I'd never be able to do that, because I'd be creating sequels to last year's best-seller, games which don't really improve people in any way, games which just amuse them but ultimately just waste their time and don't really make them any happier.

I think that truly fun games are those games which don't just improve your short-term happiness by giving pleasure for a few moments, but games which are "fun" longer term, games which improve your long-term happiness, which continue to be of benefit to you long after you've finished them. And those games are fewer, but they exist, I've experienced them, and those are the types of games I want to make.

So independent game development was a natural choice. The only real decision was whether to work at it full time and try to monetize it so that I can survive while doing it (which leaves me more time to focus on it so I could create better games), or alternatively getting a day job and making games during my spare moments. So far I went with the first method, but if I can't make enough to live on within a few years I will probably just go with the second method.

So to answer why I do it, it's because I see a lot of unhappiness in people and want to ameliorate it a bit.

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:00:11 PM »

That question is more difficult to answer than I initially expected.

It combines existing interests of mine (programming, writing, art, and music) while also being its own distinct thing. Simply dreaming up and visualizing a game is fun by itself, and naturally, the process of making it is even more fun.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 12:01:14 PM »

I've been thinking about something lately: why do we make games? I've been confused by the people who can look at something great - not even games - without thinking, even for a second, "I wish I could make that".
I think that everybody who looks at a great achievement (be it game or painting or construction or whatever), wish he could do that.
But after it's just a matter of fixing one's wn priority.
Some people don't think making games is important enough so that they could waste so much time on it (and to be honnest I tend to think they're in the right).

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 12:10:07 PM »

I create because the thought of some things not existing is unacceptable.

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 12:51:48 PM »

I make things because I can't help it.  Leave me alone for a few minutes and I'll start thinking of something cool I could make.  And then once I've had all these ideas, it would be frustrating not to bring some of them to life.
I've always made stuff, right from when I was little and I'd tape together toilet rolls and boxes into.. I'm not quite sure what.  Something grand and ambitious.
Also, if I go for a while without making stuff I get depressed.

Why I make games specifically, I think is because they're a synthesis of several different things that I like doing.  There are the sensory aspects, graphics and sound, and the technical side, programming, and the abstract formalism of how game mechanics interact.  I can work on whichever part I feel like at a given time, and it all comes together in the end.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 01:05:06 PM »

I feel like I was born to create, in one way or another, and games seems to be (one of) the epitome of creation - making entire worlds and universes, with their own cultures and religions and technology. All other created things are subject to the laws that have been determined by our world, such as paintings, sculpture, architecture, etc. These are all limited by physics, and material acquisition, and other such things, but games have the potential to create their own physics and stuff. Even books are limited in that you only know what you are told, but games, you know what you are told, know what you see, know what you hear. Not only that, but other people can't really run around within and interact with the worlds of books and paintings, but games allow others to come and go as they please. Essentially, I guess I have a kind of maker-complex, in that I want to create worlds, histories, and civilizations for others to romp around in, and characters for others to interact with, and you can't really do that in any other medium. Just like, invite others into my mind, you know?
That said, I've still never finished a game.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 01:58:30 PM »

For me, I guess part of it is the potential. Looking at most games nowadays I see oceans of wasted potential, dashed away in the name of the Almighty Dollar and the silly short-term pleasures of the masses. Gaming was an industry before it was a form of expression and I want to try and do my part in waking people up to its potential.

The potential to create entire worlds that aren't told directly, but instead actually exist right there for the player to explore. To create experiences which are fundamentally impossible on nearly any other medium. The power to guide the story and its characters, to make your choices mean something. Games like Planescape: Torment opened my eyes to those possibilities.

The reason most people think game development is a waste of time is simply because all that they have for reference are games built from the ground up to sell as much as possible, making them shallow and useless time-wasters, who believe that boobs + gore = mature, when in truth they're awfully childish. In fact, part of the reason I plan on focusing solely on freeware development with donations on the side is that I won't allow myself to think on "what will make the game sell" and instead think of "how do I transmit my message across".

So yeah, my biggest motivator is the potential of this medium. I'm happy to see independent developers trying to explore that a bit, whether they fail or succeed at creating some kind of meaningful work, because it means that we're taking the first steps into a new and exciting direction.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »

because I want to be rich, game developer rich.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 02:05:12 PM »

Do I smell sum DAIKATANA on your future?

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 02:08:45 PM »

- Because I like it!
- Because typing some numbers and seeing them turn into all kinds of wonders fills me with a pure joy of creation.
- Because I love when people are entertained by what I do.
- Because I really like it.
- Because I love games, but feel that some niches are left without enough attention.
- Because it keeps me alive, pays the bills and leaves me with enough to live well and do more games.
- Because I enjoy being recognized for my work.
- Because I really, really, really like it!!!

Did I mentioned I just like it?

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 03:53:38 PM »

I make games because it's a cry for attention.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 04:21:06 PM »

I like:

• Art
  • Messing around with computers
  • Playing games
  • Tinkering
  • Figuring out puzzles

Making games is just a natural choice of hobby for someone with those interests.  Sure, I like it when someone likes what I do.  That's a bonus.  But I'd be doing it anyway even if nobody liked it.  Hell, considering I rarely show any of my work to anyone, I pretty much already do it without any external validation.

And yeah, I hope to make some kind of money from it some day, but that's just the urge to get compensation for doing what you like to do.  Everyone wants a job they like, most people don't have that luxury.  But even if I never sell (or even finish) a game, I'll still tinker around with them.

And I agree with what Pyrrhon said... making games is like a game in itself.  It's very satisfying to see what you've dreamed up in your head come to life on the screen.  And doubly so when, after several attempts, it finally works right.  It's like a puzzle.  You mull it over, trying pieces here and there, then when one snaps into place you get this mini "eureka!" moment that feels really nice.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:24:28 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 05:50:21 PM »

My "Eureka!" sounds more like "Fuck yeah!" Grin

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 07:29:43 PM »

I make games (in a few years it'll officially be my career... got to finish college... I definitely plan to go indie cause there's a lot more freedom that way) because I loved to play games as a kid.

I thought stuff like sonic and mario was neat and when I was little I spent some of my time drawing out imaginary levels for games I liked or drawing out levels and ideas for imaginary games on a very large roll of paper (we had a lot of these rolls of paper cause the Yankee Candle company gave them away for free if you went to their warehouse to pick them up). Anyway I really liked making up ideas for games even though I didn't have the skills to actually make them, nor did I realize what programming was and I didn't have any idea how they worked in the first place.

Come 7th grade I decided to learn how to make games for real (armed with a copy of Flash 4). Since then I've just loved being able to take my ideas and put them into a form that everyone can enjoy. Programming is an art that everyone can appreciate, but only a few know how to do it. Plus I love math and I love physics and I love making and playing music and I love computers and I love games. Put them all together and you get a game. (Well you need art and animation... which personally I don't like making... but that's what artists are for).

Then once I've made my creation, I love seeing what other people think about it. Especially other game developers. It's a nice group of people to be a part of, because I've noticed developers are always willing to help each other out (most are at least).

Anyway it is also a very practical art form. It takes a while to learn how to make games well but the payoff is good cause it can easily be made into a career. Luckily for me, I am learning how to make games in school, and taught myself how to make games all throughout high school, so I really had a lot of free time to teach myself how to make games because I didn't have to worry about making money.

It's just fun to do and one of the few hobbies that can be turned into a career, and really, everyone would love to be able to turn their hobbies into careers if they could.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »

Holy shit, Glaiel. I've been playing your flash games, since like, forever.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 07:35:08 PM »

Holy shit, Glaiel. I've been playing your flash games, since like, forever.

And responses like this (random people knowing who I am) make it all worthwhile.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »

I hope you stay here. I love your games.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 02:11:16 AM »

Do I smell sum DAIKATANA on your future?

Im pretty sure im unable to link money to bad games, if anything money makes it all the better, dont you know?!  :D

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic