Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:39:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame Development: Why do we do it?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Game Development: Why do we do it?  (Read 6928 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 07:11:58 AM »

I love making games because they're the total package: I can express my ideas in virtually every medium at once, they're satisfying to make, and (I think moreso than in any other creative industry) there's real potential to make a living off of it while working solely for yourself.

I also agree with rinku as far as the potential of games (much like stories) to change the way people think about things. That is part of what makes it satisfying for me.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 02:24:16 PM »

because I want to be rich, game developer rich.

Do I smell sum DAIKATANA on your future?

Im pretty sure im unable to link money to bad games, if anything money makes it all the better, dont you know?!  :D

I'm not sure, Romero's downfall was heavily linked to him acting like a rock star and burning cash in frivolous stuff instead of getting his shit together about his company.

That, and having a black guy named Superfly Johnson in a game.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Renton
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 02:45:11 PM »

I make (or used to make, haven't started and/or finished a project in a long time) games because there are some things you'd love to see made a game, and no one makes those things. Well, the game ain't gonna develop itself now, is it?
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 04:37:44 PM »

[
because I want to be rich, game developer rich.

Do I smell sum DAIKATANA on your future?

Im pretty sure im unable to link money to bad games, if anything money makes it all the better, dont you know?!  :D

I'm not sure, Romero's downfall was heavily linked to him acting like a rock star and burning cash in frivolous stuff instead of getting his shit together about his company.

That, and having a black guy named Superfly Johnson in a game.

You cant tell me if you made a few million dollars on a supadupawtfhitgame you wouldn't drop it on a ferrari some hookers, I think game developers have there priorities wrong.

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »

for shits and giggles.
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 07:00:53 PM »

Holy shit, Glaiel. I've been playing your flash games, since like, forever.

And responses like this (random people knowing who I am) make it all worthwhile.
Same here. You did some tutorials for AS:Main, right?

Anyway, I do game development just because it's fun. I have never released anything, though.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 07:22:36 PM »

I guess I'm still doing it because I think it's a nice hobby that complements architecture nicely.  There are a lot of connections, and a lot of the knowledge I'm currently getting from my architectural education also applied to game design too. 

I'm also quite interested in the potential of the medium, as I think current games are only scratching the surface.  I guess I'd like to be a part of that, and hopefully contribute something new and interesting.

And of course, being a video game enthusiast I've got my "if only it existed" games, so maybe I'll get to bring a few of them into reality one day.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 08:23:48 PM »

The reason I'm so involved in game developing is because I have a yearning to tell a story that satisfies me. Also, hey if I can make a few bucks too, then that ain't bad either 8] That, and I got tired of saying "I could do that game better"

I've been making small games since I was 12, and I loved it ever since. Making a small sprite on Klik & Play and then later making simple platforms on visual basic.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 08:36:34 PM »

I DONT KNOW

Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 09:02:49 PM »

I started making games because i saw it as one of the ultimate art forms, and something very challenging that not many people seemed to be doing (as oppose to music, movies, painting, writing).

I continue to make games because i think its such a new unmolded art form. there is just soooo many untapped aspect of it that people like us can actually do something new with it, us normal everyday joes can actually form the direction that the mainstream medium of video games will take as the years go by. this is very exciting and motivating to me.

i also continue to make games because i like playing them, there arnt a ton of games out there that i really enjoy.. and in a lot of ways making a game is a game in itself and like many have said its both fun and rewarding.

but i kinda think the main reason why i make games is because i cant have a baby.

-Edmund
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 09:55:55 PM »

Most likely out of a urge to express myself creatively, and since I stopped drawing around age 11, game design it is! Age 11 is also about the same time I got my Sega Genesis...

Or maybe GAMEDEV is like a virus that spreads throughout your body until it controls every element of your life. Maybe I actually CAN'T STOP MAKING GAMES, or else I will shut down.

Oh dear.

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 10:27:42 PM »

Or maybe GAMEDEV is like a virus that spreads throughout your body until it controls every element of your life. Maybe I actually CAN'T STOP MAKING GAMES, or else I will shut down.

Oh dear.

*zombie* UGNNNN DEVS, SOURCE CODES, GRAPHIC LIBRARIES UGHNNNNNN BRAINS....*/zombie*  Evil
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 06:53:23 AM »

I'm just not content unless I'm creating something.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 07:05:34 AM »

It's just what I do.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 07:07:18 AM »

To explain why I love developing games I would have to delve much deeper into my subconsciousness, but my brain clearly labeled that door with "OFF LIMITS" and I'm too much of a pussy to argue with my brain.

So this will probably forever remain a mystery.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 09:11:55 AM »

I make things because I can't help it.  Leave me alone for a few minutes and I'll start thinking of something cool I could make.  And then once I've had all these ideas, it would be frustrating not to bring some of them to life.

I am the same way. Game ideas just pop into my head and I if I don't put them into a tangable form it drives me nuts.  Beer!

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 09:14:48 AM »

'cause it's fun.
arrogancy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 09:27:13 AM »

For the same reason I paint or draw or compose music or write - I like to create things and see them take a life of their own. Probably the same reason people have children. Games are just another aspect of that.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic