Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 04:18:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopDrawing Workshop 1: Gesture Drawings
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Drawing Workshop 1: Gesture Drawings  (Read 136016 times)
Renton
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 02:12:52 PM »

Burne Hogarth says good job, derek.

Hogarth is the God of Figure Drawing to me, since he draws like one, and because he was the author of the first anatomy book I bought.

Homework coming tomorrow.
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 08:44:03 AM »

Just did eight figures, and I'll likely do more on another moment. I'd show them, if I had a scanner.

It surprised me that I just can't do it with limited time. I tried with 30 seconds, the figure appeared, didn't know what, freaked out, and didn't do anything. Then tried with the random poses. I guess it isn't the same, but it worked fine, and I tried to do the thing as fast as possible.

The-Imp
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 08:54:05 AM »

Gee wiz, I can barely do 60 seconds...

And yes, it was absoloutely neccesary I said gee wiz.
 Gentleman
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 03:16:24 PM »

Hehe, it's important that you do it with the time limit, so you don't have time to simplify it in your head.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
PowRTocH
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 05:18:58 PM »

I just have to say cow, you're sketches make me want to go back and do more to try and get as good as yours.
Aww thanks. Smiley

Anyway, I wish I could make myself more useful but these sort of things are hard to crit. Nice stuff anyway though guys. :B
Tobasco Panda
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 01:17:54 PM »

I had a figure drawing instructor who taught us this same way. We rarely ever had more than 10 minutes for a pose, most were 5 minutes and we always started off with 30 second quick poses to warm up. Work FAST.

The general idea is that if you don't have the pose right in that amount of time, you probably aren't going to get it much better by futzing around with if for longer, and that is OKAY! Better to do more of the construction work, learning the figure than to worry about the polish work.

Another benefit of working fast like that is that if a limb or head or any part at all is wrong, just erase it and do it over, it isn't like you spent much time and effort on it yet anyway.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 03:03:14 PM »

Great work, guys!  Yep, 10 seconds is tough!  The idea is to loosen you up.  When you have all the time in the world it's easy to tighten up and prematurely start worrying about details.

A few more general tips:

- It's usually good to start with a line to define the central axis of the figure.  This usually follows the spine.  Build out from there.

- Even when a limb is extended perfectly straight, it is not perfectly straight, and you should avoid drawing them as a straight line.  Muscle and bones are twisty.  Try to capture the natural curvature of the arms and legs.
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »

I know what I definitely need to work on is stroke confidence. I'll redo a line three or four times before I move on to the next one. >:O
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 10:18:22 PM »

Homework! http://isaacwilliams.net/uploads/gesturedraws.png First half is 10secs, second half is 30secs.

I really like your gesture draws, cow. Real organic looking.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 05:31:52 AM »

Here's mine! 10s 30s 60s 90s nolimit
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 05:47:42 AM »

I figured I'd lower the bar, so more programmers can join in Smiley
This series is a fantastic idea Derek. Please keep 'em coming!
 Beer!
tufetuf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 12:21:50 PM »

Is it a bad idea to start by tracing gestures over pictures, as was done in the first tutorial image?

Thanks for this thread btw, it's definitely great info.
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 04:16:26 PM »

Is it a bad idea to start by tracing gestures over pictures, as was done in the first tutorial image?

IMHO not really, but you won't learn as much. Trying to visually gauge distances, sizes and angles of different shapes will teach a lot of how the body is put together. Just tracing will only teach you the basic shapes.

Biggerfish
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 03:19:46 AM »

Great idea! I Had to go onto 30 second sketches to help me get my head around this. Just the motivation I needed to get back into drawing. It was also interesting drawing with a permanent marker, really fun.

One thing I find is that I am constantly talking to myself in my head while drawing, telling myself where this line should extend, what this shape looks like, giving words to the pose so I get an idea of what type of lines to use, etc. I can't help feeling like I'm overthinking things (I mean, I think these thoughts very quickly and as I draw them, but I don't know).
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »

heres my homework, a bit rusty but i decided im going to try and do these every day.
each ten seconds.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o214/ndk5027/Drawings/gesture1.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o214/ndk5027/Drawings/gesture2.jpg

medieval
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »

Shit. I can't actually post my homework because I have no scanner and no camera.
PowRTocH
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 04:31:23 PM »

No limit, you say?

Still kinda rushed though.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 09:01:18 PM »

This thread is excellent.  I personally like 5-second and 10-second poses myself, if just because they force you to abstract the motion more than say, a 30-second to 1-minute.  Top notch stuff.  I think I'm going to do the homework for this while at college tomorrow.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 09:16:03 PM »

Tried it on 10 and the abominations I produced are too horrible to express. I'll try it again when I'm a little more lucid, this cold is kicking my ass.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 10:34:09 PM »

10sec; 123
30sec; 1234
60sec; 12
5  min; 1

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to: