Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:32:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopDrawing Workshop 1: Gesture Drawings
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Drawing Workshop 1: Gesture Drawings  (Read 136192 times)
Tobasco Panda
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 11:29:53 PM »

Hey Xion, have you tried vine charcoal? It is really quick to throw down and easier to make corrections with than conte, though if you want to preserve a piece you should spray it afterward with hairspray. I also like it cause you can really push the contrast, or throw down a quick ground and start up from there.

That said, as Conte doesn't come off as easily, it forces you to be more deliberate with your strokes.

Another quick tip for everyone is to try holding your drawing tool parallel to your hand, rather than in a writing grip, this allows for more control when drawing from the arm.

I'll have to dig some stuff out of my portfolio (put up or shut up, as they say) or find some time do some myself.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2008, 07:29:15 AM »

I am rushing out the door and will try this later.

This was totally the perfect thing to find on returning to the forums to hook me back in for good.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2008, 08:42:56 AM »

I present my homework!

10sec

15sec

30sec

45sec

60sec

Critique HIGHLY appreciated. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »

Hey Xion, have you tried vine charcoal? It is really quick to throw down and easier to make corrections with than conte, though if you want to preserve a piece you should spray it afterward with hairspray. I also like it cause you can really push the contrast, or throw down a quick ground and start up from there.

That said, as Conte doesn't come off as easily, it forces you to be more deliberate with your strokes.
I haven't tried any charcoal other than conte yet. I only just started using it at all, but it's really fun stuff. I'll have to check out vine - thanks for the suggestion! Gentleman

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2008, 06:01:58 PM »

Is there a downloadable version of the poser thing? I'd love one to use on my train trip home, I've been drawing people on the train but they're pretty much always in the same pose of sitting there reading a book.
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2008, 06:38:18 AM »

What's... the top left guy doing in the 60 sec-picture, Melly... ?
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2008, 04:28:35 AM »

It is not my place to inquire the 3D skinless poser that. Wink

By the way Derek, another workshop coming anytime soon?

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2008, 01:38:16 AM »

I gave this a try a while ago but my scanner wasn't working.  It still isn't, but I took another shot at this just now and thought I'd resort to photographing my sketchbook.

10 sec from a couple weeks ago (crayola twistable crayons, woot)

and another 10 sec from today (new markers)

and then after this I tried 30 sec but somehow it came out worse ... maybe 2am just isn't the best time to practice this?

The first time I tried this, it seemed to devolve into stick figures quickly.  Probably there's no quick fix here and I just need to practice, but any tips would be welcome.

(On the plus side, this inspired me to try sketching my new baby boy's face, and that somehow came out awesome, so yay.)

p.s. More drawing workshops please!

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
cyprien
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2008, 06:40:18 AM »

I usually try to fit in a few sketches of people while I'm riding the subway to work. Haven't been very motivated lately due to lack of sleep w/ GameMaker.
Biggerfish
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2008, 12:59:30 AM »

Doodling people in class is good practise for me. Seeing as most of the time it looks like I'm taking notes and I have to get it done in a few seconds before they move.

I need to get back into this but I used up too much paper last time and would rather do it on the computer (to save paper) but have yet to figure out a way to be able to do that.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »

Dereeeeeeek, where's our next workshop?

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2008, 02:15:48 PM »

Coming soon - I've been hankering to practice anatomy lately, so it seems like a good time. Well, hello there!
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2009, 10:26:04 AM »

I'm forcing myself to follow Derek's words of wisdom, so... Here's some crappy stressed out 10 second practice to burn your eyes out.
CLICK HERE AND DIE!
I'm looking forward to more of these tutorials, but for now, I'm just going to practicepracticepractice.

tylerjhutchison
Level 1

hebbo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »

Coming soon - I've been hankering to practice anatomy lately, so it seems like a good time. Well, hello there!
Anatomy? No no no, you are letting everyone get to the cake way too early. First: ONE HOUR BLIND CONTOURS!!!  Evil

tylersaurus.com | twitter | blog | wedrawcomics.com -- software engineer by day, comic book artist/game dev by night.
increpare
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2010, 08:07:37 AM »

I'm guessing it's okay to necropost to this excellent thread Smiley

Hmm.  Got a tablet, and gave myself the afternoon off to try flexing my sketch-muscles with some ten-second things...didn't really work out, but it was satisfying...hope I'll get time to keep this up...I miss drawing Sad

it's funny how they make a lot more sense when you look at them in series Tongue
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »

I love Derek forever for putting this up.

Gesture drawing is kind of fun, isn't it
jwk5
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »

Sometimes I find it handy (and fun) to throw down random shapes and then draw figures interacting with the shapes (as if they were part of an environment). It really makes you focus solely on the placement of limbs as the push and pull against the surface of objects and how the body arches and bends in relation to such.

I think a lot of people misunderstand what a gesture sketch is supposed to be. It is not supposed to be this abstract artsy thing but rather an outline of a form that gives a sense of motion or "life". It doesn't really matter in the end how straight or curvy the lines are, how messy or clean, etc. it only really matters that you can read the form and get the implied motion (or dynamic pose). Even with the base layers of gesture sketching and basic form frameworking everyone's got their own style (I personally like to go bold and messy with a combination of curves and straights).

EDIT: I gotta quit using Image Shack. I will re-upload them with tiny pic later.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:55:00 PM by jwk5 » Logged
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2010, 10:53:41 PM »

Lips Sealed

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2010, 07:58:23 AM »

Here are some I did last night but didn't have a chance to post. Some are better than others but I don't think any of them are particularly good.

Any tips?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:29:01 PM by Sean A. » Logged
ChevyRay
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2010, 11:13:09 PM »

Imageshack killed your picture.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic