Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 07:37:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsBuckets of Blood
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Buckets of Blood  (Read 6464 times)
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2012, 10:56:22 PM »

Started on my game, but I'm not really ready to talk about it yet. But I do have some placeholder art done:

Grin

Ashkin
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »

That's your PLACEHOLDER art? I can only imagine how great the final art will look...
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:37:57 PM »

Ancient basketball? Interesting.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:16:52 PM »

So, I'm using this project to try and learn Unity. The plan is to make a 2 on 2 basketball game with fighting and some extra stuff thrown in that I'll detail soon. I've made some progress on a base character here:

And here he is with some sweet gear on:

He isn't actually standing in game yet- the bg is just some Photoshop magic. I'm hoping to let you customize your player, including hair and equipment etc. To do this, I bought Smooth Moves (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/124211-Smooth-Moves-2D-Skeletal-Animation) for Unity, which is sort of like Spriter, so I can make segmented characters and swap parts in and out. So far I really like it. I'll try to post some animations soon... I was having trouble making decent looking gifs.

I was able to get a decent enough looking gif to spit out finally. Just a test standing animation to learn the ropes of Smooth Move.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:31:53 PM by astrospoon » Logged

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:40:20 PM »

Is this gonna be like basketball red ice? Lookin pretty awesome so far!

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 09:49:56 PM »

This looks so sick, I wish you luck  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Think happy thoughts.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 11:46:38 PM »

Got the Mcduder running around in game. He can dribble the ball and throw it out in front of him. There are invisible walls around the court, so it just kinda bounces around and you can pick it back up. Here he is driving to the non-existent hoop:

I also got animation blending set up, so he can dribble while he runs or stands, or pass while he runs or stands, etc. I'm pretty excited to start adding all sorts of sweet moves you can do, but I should probably worry about getting a hoop in there next and letting you shoot around.

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 12:14:11 AM »

Aw yeah, that's what I'm talking bout!

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »

Got jump shooting into the game, as well as a turbo button. (No meter for it yet though). But more importantly, I got dunking working Grin

Right now dunking never misses, and jump shooting has a slight random element which makes it possible to miss/make in different ways. The ball itself uses physics when it is flying in the air, bouncing off the rim, etc. But when you are dribbling the ball, that is actually part of a set animation.

Now that I have the bare bones actions in (passing, shooting, dunking, running) I'm going to try adding in a computer controlled player. So much to do!

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 06:49:27 AM »

Looks great!
But what are you going to do to set the game far from the usual button-mashing that are basketball games (talking about stealing the ball, for instance)?

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »

I guess I should tip my hand more about the game.

The plan for the game is actually NBA Jam meets Diablo. Thus far I have mostly been working on the NBA Jam aspects of the game, but combat and special abilities are going to play a large part in who controls the ball.

My goal is to make it possible to play at both extremes: focusing on playing basketball and scoring, or focus on kicking the crap out of the other team to prevent them from scoring, and occasionally score yourself when they are stunned from an attack.

In between games, you'll be able to visit different locations and look for more competition, buy new gear to improve your stats and abilities, recruit new teammates, and even bet on games. There will be tons of loot in the form of equipment that you can either buy, or win by playing basketball.

Oh, and although I'm controlling the character with a keyboard now, I'm going to test out a Diablo-style mouse control system and see how that works as well. Possibly being able to pause the game and actually draw out plays with the mouse, or maybe just be able to draw routes for the players in real time. It seems like it could work in my head, but I'll need to test it out. Plus, then I can get it running on Ipad as well, which would be pretty sexy.

EDIT: Also, Buckets of Blood is just a working title. I'm open to suggestions for something more final. Smiley

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 11:27:34 PM »

This is looking great and sounding really in depth. Are you planning on having different characters with different stats? and I like the name, think it sums up the game pretty well.

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 12:05:52 AM »

Franklins - Yeah. The plan is for the player to be able to customize a team of two, and then play against other characters (some randomly generated and some set characters).

Also, I think I went a little overboard on this:

Who, Me?

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 01:04:24 AM »

it is looking amazing though
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic