Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:52:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Some of my work! - André Kent (@Kent2D)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Some of my work! - André Kent (@Kent2D)  (Read 4442 times)
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »

The images are gifs, so the page might take a while to load!

Every feedback is appreciated! :D (Specially constructive critiques)
I've been trying out some modular animation. Tell me what you guys think!

I hope you guys like it! My last edit was August 14, 2013 so there's a good 2 and a half years update for the new stuff! :p
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:08:34 AM by !Kent2D » Logged

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 01:18:52 AM »

Those are seriously awesome!
I like the dwarf and one-eyed girl the most, they got nice contrast inside silhoette and readability. I think you should try different outline colors, it would look cooler and make less contrast inside figure.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 02:10:13 AM »

The robots shouldn't be moving at all as they are not breathing... And the guy in the red demon armor looks very unnatural. Especially the head. Do you really move your head in a half-circle arc, stop, then do the other half? I don't think so. The other ones look quite ok. Oh and the dwarf shouldn't be raising his right hand so much.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 05:30:03 AM »

They all move in a single loop. Somehow I'd feel better if there were loops within loops, or some patterns alternated, or shifted speed every so often. Not everything we do happens in-sync with each other.

Then you can make the robot look way more robotic by making its patterns more structured.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »

Great style, for sure. I agree with Graham about the looping. Also, I think the robot could look more robotic by having 'squarer', faster patterns.

Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »

I really like 'em, specially the first one, the second one the viking type dude looks unbalanced :/. what program did you use to draw and animate?
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 11:29:35 AM »

I'm thinking flash. Btw these are very stylish.
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »

The robots could move, but like rivon said not due to breathing. More like balancing to maintain upright position.

Two crits for the wolf queen (and to some degree the satyr and the gun girl). The way the front of the pelvis turns upwards while the body straightens up, makes it seem like she's air humping. The other (related) thing - the torso and the pelvis in these characters seem to be very rigidly connected and move as one mass as opposed to two constrained but still relatively independent blocks.

With that out of the way - gorgeous stuff! Keep them coming.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:12:28 PM »

really pretty designs.

poorly thought out animations. These looks like paper puppets. Not very fitting to the art style.

In doing these I would really focus on two actions: Inhaling and exhaling. nothing more.
Act it out IRL as you're animating. What do you do when inhaling? What moves? Be dramatic and in character. Simplify, exaggerate, and tweak.

TL;DR: Your characters don't need to move so much.
Preece
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 02:45:04 AM »

I agree with penutbuttershoes.

Also, when doing this kind of modular animation focus on preserving mass and connection between different sections. When one doesn't part doesn't influence the next correctly, it makes it look like pieces of paper sliding around and breaks the illusion. This is common on the red demon guy.
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:14:40 AM »

i know good design when i see it, this is really good.
I love the robotic ones especially.

The animation on those robots freaks me out tho  Blink

//the blue guy's design is *stolen/inspired/not_orginal_enough* tho :3. - http://www.fengzhudesign.com/ - Roadside picnic

!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 06:42:39 PM »

Those are seriously awesome!
I like the dwarf and one-eyed girl the most, they got nice contrast inside silhoette and readability. I think you should try different outline colors, it would look cooler and make less contrast inside figure.

I will! I got stuck to black outline for a while, maybe other outline colors would make the animation more natural due to back-color blending ? I'll give it a shot sometime!

The robots shouldn't be moving at all as they are not breathing... And the guy in the red demon armor looks very unnatural. Especially the head. Do you really move your head in a half-circle arc, stop, then do the other half? I don't think so. The other ones look quite ok. Oh and the dwarf shouldn't be raising his right hand so much.

Noted! I actually had some dificulty making them move really like robots :{ I convinced myself "No, okay, so they move like humans despite they're robots, so they're androids! Evil" and went away with it. But yeah, I have to try that sooner or later. About the Dwarf, I'll fix it.

They all move in a single loop. Somehow I'd feel better if there were loops within loops, or some patterns alternated, or shifted speed every so often. Not everything we do happens in-sync with each other.

Then you can make the robot look way more robotic by making its patterns more structured.

About that! I just spoke to a friend who tried to explain to me what I could make to break the loop-in-evidence problem... I managed to work something out, make it look a little more natural. I cant shift the speed in this previews for they're gifs, but it's a good sugestion because I can set speed-per-animation variables to a range of numbers when I'm programming. I'll work with that! Thanks. About the loops within loops, this is my last try. I hope I'm making some progress. Let me know!

Great style, for sure. I agree with Graham about the looping. Also, I think the robot could look more robotic by having 'squarer', faster patterns.

I'm animating everything on After Effects~ "Squarer" movements are still a mistery for me :{ But I swear I study every day. I'll try to work something around!

I really like 'em, specially the first one, the second one the viking type dude looks unbalanced :/. what program did you use to draw and animate?

I'm glad! Unbalanced how ? o_o I'm using Paint Tool SAI for drawing, Photoshop to batch and After Effects for animation.

I'm thinking flash. Btw these are very stylish.

Pixel 30 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 30
 Pixel 06 Pixel 30 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 30 Pixel 06
 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 30 Pixel 06 Pixel 30 Pixel 06 Pixel 06
 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 30 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 06
 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 30 Pixel 06 Pixel 30 Pixel 06 Pixel 06
 Pixel 06 Pixel 30 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 30 Pixel 06
 Pixel 30 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 30

After Effects. But close. xD Thanks man! :D

The robots could move, but like rivon said not due to breathing. More like balancing to maintain upright position.

Two crits for the wolf queen (and to some degree the satyr and the gun girl). The way the front of the pelvis turns upwards while the body straightens up, makes it seem like she's air humping. The other (related) thing - the torso and the pelvis in these characters seem to be very rigidly connected and move as one mass as opposed to two constrained but still relatively independent blocks.

With that out of the way - gorgeous stuff! Keep them coming.

It's a mistery to me still... You see, when I animate the robots, they look somewhat human. When I animate humans, they look somewhat robots. I'm having some trouble with this, But I'm trying to work something out!

Pelvic movement is wrong. Got it! I'll take a closer look and try to make it look more natural and get the two parts to look less blocky!

Thanks alot man! :D I will! It's alot of fun to study modular animation.

really pretty designs.

poorly thought out animations. These looks like paper puppets. Not very fitting to the art style.

In doing these I would really focus on two actions: Inhaling and exhaling. nothing more.
Act it out IRL as you're animating. What do you do when inhaling? What moves? Be dramatic and in character. Simplify, exaggerate, and tweak.

TL;DR: Your characters don't need to move so much.

I'm a still artist. D: animation is my weak spot, so I'm trying to get them to look better.

Noted! That should help. I know it sounds obvious but when I'm animating I forget the real world and that's a huge loss on quality. I'll try to keep that in mind!

I agree with penutbuttershoes.

Also, when doing this kind of modular animation focus on preserving mass and connection between different sections. When one doesn't part doesn't influence the next correctly, it makes it look like pieces of paper sliding around and breaks the illusion. This is common on the red demon guy.

Okay! Yeah D: The red demon guy was a rushed experience... I got frontpage with it on newgrounds but I too think it's just too messy and poorly thought out. I have to remake his whole animation in a more natural way. And thanks alot! Noted: don't break the illusion.

i know good design when i see it, this is really good.
I love the robotic ones especially.

The animation on those robots freaks me out tho  Blink

//the blue guy's design is *stolen/inspired/not_orginal_enough* tho :3. - http://www.fengzhudesign.com/ - Roadside picnic

Thanks alot! :D

Freaks you out how ? D:

The blue guy's design is a remake/inspired on Out There Somewhere, a game by my friends at Studio Miniboss!

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 08:01:09 PM »

Looks the same.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »

All these are wonderful
Samuelboucher
Level 0

The only way out is through

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »

Awesome art dude!!

Love that round blue-glob-head guy!

ArtByElde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »

How did u manage to make the clothparts bend like that without adding xtra bones? I really like the second guys cloth hanging from his belt,the way it's swinging. Its just one texture right?

And im guessing these are vectors?

"Artwork is the only MMO i play, endless content and no levelcap"
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »

Wow, it`s been a while since I last posted here! I have so many things to update! D:

First off: I just scanned my sketchbook! There's a lot of stuff in it, so the image is quite.... fatty. 17mb to be precise. But I thought it maybe yould help anyone with inspiration or anything, who knows?! :D

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/adecanto/sketchbook-1

Other than that, I'm actually making games now! I attended to a gamejam that happened last month called Pack of Horrors! (http://packofhorrors.tumblr.com/games - I made "Old Avenue"!)

!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 09:06:20 AM »

How did u manage to make the clothparts bend like that without adding xtra bones? I really like the second guys cloth hanging from his belt,the way it's swinging. Its just one texture right?

And im guessing these are vectors?

It's been such a long time you probably forgot you asked this haha, but anyway, I make my characters modular and animate them in After Effects, so for cloth, hair and such I use puppet tool. It gives me some freedom as to how smaller things are going to move. :D although no, none of them are vectors. Each module is a single PNG (arm, leg, chest, feet, head, etc)

!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 06:09:39 AM »

Refurbishing my thread, all art on the first post was replaced! :D

zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 10:26:28 AM »

For all intents and purposes these look very good.
What is your workflow? What do you export from AE and to what engine?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic