Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 04:20:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesmash-ups
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: mash-ups  (Read 3743 times)
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2008, 09:34:53 AM »

game mash-ups.
let's talk about them.
infact, i just want you to them out to me.

there's this:
http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2008/09/preview_blast_passage_notch.html
which is cool

and of course, farb's rom check fail.

but what else?

ive always had a grand fantasy about nintendo letting me use all their IPs and mashing them together. super mash-up bros.

im more interested in games that mash-up gameplays together rather than just starring some character from another series or stuff like that.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 09:38:02 AM »

Would Super Smash Brothers count? It's kind of a smash up, and it works well. Also, our own development on Indie Brawl.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 10:06:07 AM »

Well, the current Retro Remakes competition has a whole "8-bit mashup" category so hopefully there'll be a few more soon.  As well as Blast Passage there's Tempest Turmoil and, uh, my one, which I seem to have lost interest in for the moment but probably I'll come back to in a bit.  Probably some more will show up there.

I fully agree that gameplay mashups are what's interesting.  There are all these games that try to cash in on the popularity of classic games by taking the characters but not the mechanics, and I do not approve.
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 10:28:51 AM »

Mushroom Kingdom Fusion looks like the mash-up to end all mash-ups:

Capten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 11:05:02 AM »

This is definitely a nice idea. What I would like to see is an RPG mixed with a Mario-style platformer, so that when you go to a battle, you would defeat the enemies by jumping on them or maybe even throwing barrels/crates/whatever at them. So instead of requiring high-level, well-equipped characters, you would need skill. That way the fights would be more entertaining and diverse instead of just tapping one button during the fights. And then all the bosses would have different strategies, so you would have to figure out how to beat each boss.

When you level up, your attack, defense etc. would increase like in any other RPG.
PaleFox
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 11:53:53 AM »

I guess that's basically Zelda II, to be honest. I never really liked it, but it does switch between topdown and sidescrolling, so I guess that it's pretty close. As is any of the Mario RPGs, I guess, at least to some extent.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 01:11:07 AM »

It's also Super Paper Mario.

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 02:32:12 AM »

Anyone play Hybrid Heaven on the 64? Was basicly an RPG/Wrestling game were you went into a fight and it played out like one of the WCW games.

Fucking awesome game.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 02:47:49 AM »

Would Mario and Sonic at the olympics be considered a mash-up? =P Also, Warioware has some aspects of mashing together old Nintendo franchises into microgames...? =P
Mitchard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 09:42:21 AM »

Space Fantasy Zone.

Worth it just for the Space Harrier/Fantasy Zone mashup background music.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 02:48:57 PM »

Anyone play Hybrid Heaven on the 64? Was basicly an RPG/Wrestling game were you went into a fight and it played out like one of the WCW games.

Fucking awesome game.

Heard about it, have never played it, but I'd like to- I don't think it came out in the US, though. Isn't it supposed to have multiplayer, too?
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 07:30:17 PM »

I don't remember any multiplayer but I could be mistaken, it's been a long time since I sold my 64 and all my games.

It was pretty awesome though, way ahead of it's time. Fully voiced cut scenes, quicktime events, suprisingly dark storyline. All back on the 64.

Never finished it though, really need to find a copy again.
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 01:56:54 PM »

I remember seeing some game posted here a while ago that was basically an SNK-style fighter featuring characters from just about every game imaginable.

Anybody remember what I'm talking about? I can't remember the title, but I'm pretty sure the creator was Spanish...
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »

I remember seeing some game posted here a while ago that was basically an SNK-style fighter featuring characters from just about every game imaginable.

Anybody remember what I'm talking about? I can't remember the title, but I'm pretty sure the creator was Spanish...

see, that's what im not looking for.
taking characters from other games and putting them in another game is easy.
i guess that would constitute a mash-up of sorts, but what im intersted in is gameplay mashup.

i want to see master chief shooting goombas in the mushroom kingdom.
or link solving puzzles at aperture science.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »

There are a ton of super mario mashups, aren't there? Pretty sure I saw a video of mario with some halo weaponry recently, can't remember where...

PaleFox
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 04:54:17 PM »

I know that for a while some fans were making basically Zelda LttP in Doom (or Quake? whatever) and if I remember correctly they got as far as the first dungeon before vanishing as such projects do. I assume they got cease-and-desisted.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 07:28:45 PM »

There was that M-Bison in Mario mashup.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 09:00:55 AM »

Someone called S.T.A.C.K.E.R., my entry for the demakes competition, a Stalker/Tetris mashup. I'm not sure I approve of the term -- Gentleman -- but it certainly takes some gameplay from Tetris, and tries to take some of the strategic gameplay (and the atmosphere) from Stalker.

Obviously Puzzle Quest is similar, and Spore, and in fact any game that tries something new will probably include a mix of gameplay elements from earlier games. Er, I'm getting the feeling now that I misunderstood the question.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 09:58:26 AM »

There was that M-Bison in Mario mashup.

That's just MUGEN.

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 12:42:08 PM »

I think you need to flush out your definition of what constitutes a mash-up. As far as combining gameplay, most games can be described as X-Previous-Game + Y-Previous-Game. Well, at least the ones that can't be described as simply X-Previous-Game.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic