Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:04:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsDog Racing Game [Prototype finished]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dog Racing Game [Prototype finished]  (Read 8902 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2012, 12:18:55 PM »

--- Original post ---

I've been working trying to make a game based off of dog racing and breeding.  Raise dogs, race them, win moneys, acquire more dogs, breed dogs, and so on.  Dogs will have a finite lifespan, so you'll have to keep breeding your champs to try and keep the best attributes alive.

Making it in Multimedia Fusion 2 using the Mode 7 Ex object, which I had never really used before, and which, as it turns out, is really easy to work with.  Heightmaps are fun!

Here's a rudimentary test dog running on my test track of Mario Circuit 3.

I still have a long way to go, though, so here's hoping!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:59:35 PM by Fifth » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »

I love the aesthetic! It's got a lot of charm, and reminds me of playing Monster Rancher.  Smiley
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 02:54:13 PM »

Curious to see this in motion, keep us updated :D

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »

Consider me intrigued Smiley. Always amazing to see the magic you get out of MMF.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 10:57:22 PM »

Well, there's no way I'm going to be able to make anything worthwhile out of this in the given time.  I'll try to wrap up something game-like before the end, but it's going to fall so drasticly short of the original plan as to be an embarrassing mockery of my initial vision.

So... pretty much a par for the course for me.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 05:00:01 PM »

Still going.

Trying to figure out a way to make computer players understand where to go on the track.  Hopefully something like this will work?
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 11:58:09 PM »

I guess I'm submitting it.
It's kinda barely a game.  Maybe a prototype.  Oh well.

http://www.l-ames.com/logan/dog-racing.zip
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 12:08:35 AM »

Good work, I like the look quite a bit and the game's further along than I expected!
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »

Thanks.  It really means a lot.

EDIT: Oops, just caught a bug that accidentally exits the race if you play two in a row.  I hope it's okay to upload a fix to this one.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:07:25 PM by Fifth » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:31:05 PM »

Cool, voxels! Cute thing you have so far; great work on the dog animation, and the engine is looking super good.

Interesting approach to the AI. As I like racing games, I've more than once wondered what the best solution for this problem would be. Yours seems solid at first glance. The dogs did seem to be going off-track more than necessary in the third track, though.

I hope you wrap this up into a more complete package. Maybe not the massive idea of raising and breeding dogs, but just the more basic racing aspects that you already have in place, with some more polish?

louroboros
Level 0

wat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »

This is quite playable. I agree with agj; you should keep at it even if it means simplifying your original idea.

By the way, I love the mode7 graphics. I'm kind of a sucker for them, though.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »

Mm, thanks!
I guess now that I don't have a time constraint, I can waste time again on frivolous things like better map loading.  And hopefully make something worthwhile out of this...

Interesting approach to the AI. As I like racing games, I've more than once wondered what the best solution for this problem would be. Yours seems solid at first glance. The dogs did seem to be going off-track more than necessary in the third track, though.

It does work well enough for the most part, but they can't handle track 3 well because I never taught them how to jump.  So I had to draw the path around all the obstacles.
I guess I just wanted a counter to track 1, where that brown dog made it literally (I think) impossible to get 1st...

Yeah, the AI and balancing aren't quite there.
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 12:58:28 AM »

That Mode 7 graphics Addicted
whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »

Pretty cool!  Grin

One thing I found a bit confusing was the boost. I wasn't sure when I had boost available or not, or when it was helping me. It didn't matter that much on track 3 though because I won! woohoo Smiley

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »

I never got around to implementing stamina, or any kind of boost limit, so really you just have to boost all the time unless you want to turn more sharply.  That's what the computers are doing.

...Yeah, it's really rudimentary.  Sorry.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 06:43:43 AM »

What you have so far is really good. It's just missing a few features that would take it to the next level. You've mention most yourself so I'll just add that a track/position display would be useful so I could see where the other dogs were on the track. One bug I did notice was the timer said I'd finished in 1min 89secs when in fact it had taken me 3mins 9secs. Good stuff Hand Thumbs Up Left

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic