Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1190824 Posts in 51256 Topics- by 42176 Members - Latest Member: clopay

February 09, 2016, 07:51:12 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsIn Between
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: In Between  (Read 1047 times)
Gentlymad
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:24:44 am »

Hey guys, we are about to release our first game In Between soon. It´s an atmospheric, story driven puzzle platformer where you solve mind-bending puzzles by manipulating your surroundings and gravity itself.​The game is inpired by the five stages of grief, the emotional stages everyone experiences when facing an decisive turning point in life. You will enter five different stages (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance) with 61 challenging levels. Each stage is surrounded by an interactive story level, which introduce the game mechanics. The mechanics try to represent the characteristic attributes of the different stages of grief. The gameplay changes with those mechanics.

Here is the link to our new trailer:

and the link to download the demo: http://gentlymad.org/game/inbetween

Also, here are a couple of screenshots of the game:

The intro scene

The tutorial

Example of a story scene

Example of the first stage: denial

Another story scene example

Example of the second stage: anger

Story, story

Example of the third stage: bargaining

Is this actually a story scene?

Example of the fourth stage: depression

We are always interested in your feedback. Let us know what you think! The full version will be released in early 2015. If you want to stay in contact, make sure to follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/gentlymadgames, or facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gentlymadcompany.

We hope you enjoy our game.

Toast Left Cheers! Toast Right
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:23:01 am »

Wow truly great how come nobody shows up here this game deserves highest honors. Kinda like the music as well. Great job.

The level design looks a little bit motionless though, it feels like a game and misses some organic elements to make it feel less cubic and linear imho.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 04:12:48 am »

I agree it's beautiful. I haven't watched the trailer. My main question is about the realistic settings vs. the clearly artificial and violent-looking gameplay levels. On the "stages of grief", are these dangerous looking levels entirely metaphorical, or do they have a physical reality in the game story?

Gentlymad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 04:27:52 am »

Hey,
thanks for the kind words. Smiley

@ ephoete: You are right about the cubic, linear look. Maybe we can improve them by some organic elements. Thanks for the helpfull feedback.

@ tjpalmer: The question where the gameplay levels take place is a big part of the story and we don´t want to spoiler it right now. Sorry  Wink
TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:01:13 am »

Are you channeling braid?

Gentlymad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:06:50 am »

@TheChaoticGood: We are not sure what you mean by channeling? Can you please explain further? Greetz
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:26:25 am »

Love the art design and art style in the trailer. My only concern is that animations while running around, falling, etc. look kind of stiff.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
MPRart
Level 0

"Comfort is the killer of creativity" ~ David Choe

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:17:11 am »

This is pretty damn amazing looking, I'm glad I came across it, I hope you guys get more exposure. About to download the demo.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 09:21:20 am »

Playing through the demo now, but I just had to pause and say that the art design you have going on here is superb. The transitions. The unsettling shattering and reconfiguring of the world. The glass shattering effect when you die and the level restarts. The way the background burns and peels away. It's all really effective
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:37:04 am by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Gentlymad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 10:22:33 am »

@ Christian: Thanks dude, we really appreciate your words from the bottom of our hearts.

@ MPRart: We hope you like it!
Gentlymad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 05:28:20 am »

Hey guys,

we are really happy to announce that we are nominated for the German Game Award. Since we are still students, we are nominated in the category "best junior concept".

And here is a little gif of the game:

Toast Left Cheers! Toast Right
jamesprimate
Level 10

stealth ferret platformer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 06:03:15 am »

damn this looks awesome! love the aesthetic. i agree that the running animation could use some polish though. considering its what the player will be looking at the whole game, anything iffy about it will disproportionately affect the experience. and you dont want anything drawing attention away from the gorgeous visual style! excited to see more.

Gentlymad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 06:34:11 am »

damn this looks awesome! love the aesthetic. i agree that the running animation could use some polish though. considering its what the player will be looking at the whole game, anything iffy about it will disproportionately affect the experience. and you dont want anything drawing attention away from the gorgeous visual style! excited to see more.

Thanks for your feedback! Love your music btw!
tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 06:49:14 am »

I'd actually recommend a walking rather than a running animation for cases where walking would be expected. But yeah, I like the shattering. I couldn't figure out what W and S do, except, W made his head look upward a bit. I also didn't understand the meanings of the symbols above the doors at first. I made it through the first level, and it was interesting to work through.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic