Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 05:45:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPapers, Please [Available 8/8]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36
Print
Author Topic: Papers, Please [Available 8/8]  (Read 531786 times)
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »

Gimmie a sec and I'll let you know.

Works fine for me, but it's a little annoying how it's forced full screen, yet the game doesn't even take up the full screen for me at 1440x900

oooh, assets folder...
*goes poking around*
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:16:16 PM by DustyDrake » Logged

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2013, 08:27:20 PM »

Works fine for me, but it's a little annoying how it's forced full screen, yet the game doesn't even take up the full screen for me at 1440x900

Cool thanks for the report. I'll make the next builds default to windowed mode. You should be able to switch it with ALT-ENTER now.

At the moment it resizes to the largest whole pixel scale from 480x320 which normally leaves a black border in full screen.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2013, 08:29:24 PM »

Windows version works great but like Drake said, it doesn't fill the full screen on my 1920x1080 monitor (doesn't even use all of the horizontal space). I won't lie though. I'd rather have that than have it stretched horizontally.

This is the first time I've actually played the game (was waiting on all of the shiny new features you've been showing off) but I am really liking it. The animations are all so insanely smooth (especially the silhouettes!) and it's an oddly compelling repetition of key gameplay elements that are at play here.

My only problem is the lack of sound! Some satisfying shutter noises, some sounds of the papers being shuffled around, the sound of the stamp coming down on the paper.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2013, 08:33:27 PM »

It's wonderful, I like it.  Grin
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »

The Heavens opened wide and down rained much glory and joy.

Downloading now. Super excited.

Post Download: I can sleep happily tonight. By far the most interesting game I've played in quite a while, and it just gets better and better.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:56:24 PM by randomshade » Logged
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2013, 11:50:04 PM »

I noticed that, at the end of the day, when the clock went dark, on the first day, it only let me finish working with the immigrant that I was already working with. On the second day, it let 3 more through before ending the day. Confused me quite a bit.

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2013, 12:21:21 AM »

Post Download: I can sleep happily tonight. By far the most interesting game I've played in quite a while, and it just gets better and better.

Thanks randomshade! You had me a little worried with your enthusiasm Smiley. I can't say for sure if the game is any good at this stage so I'm relieved to hear you like it.

I noticed that, at the end of the day, when the clock went dark, on the first day, it only let me finish working with the immigrant that I was already working with. On the second day, it let 3 more through before ending the day. Confused me quite a bit.

There's a minimum number of people you have to process for each day. If the clock ends before this, you still need to finish out the remaining entrants (sans pay). I set it up like this so that story-critical entrants can be scripted per day and will match up with the daily bulletins. I'll try to explain this quota system in an early bulletin.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2013, 12:29:41 AM »

I figured there was a quota.
Now I haven't booted the game back up yet, but will the game still be random with some predefined people?

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2013, 12:32:06 AM »

There's a minimum number of people you have to process for each day. If the clock ends before this, you still need to finish out the remaining entrants (sans pay). I set it up like this so that story-critical entrants can be scripted per day and will match up with the daily bulletins. I'll try to explain this quota system in an early bulletin.
Gotcha. Thanks. Smiley

Might do well to explain that in game through one of the bulletins, yeah.

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2013, 12:34:21 AM »

I figured there was a quota.
Now I haven't booted the game back up yet, but will the game still be random with some predefined people?

Yeah. And even the predefined people often have only certain things defined. So likely their faces, nationality, and possibly errors will be different each time you play. I don't think that's too interesting though and I don't really consider a feature. Just that specifying those things hasn't been necessary yet and the random generator takes care of it without any effort.

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2013, 12:37:11 AM »

I only wish I could make a game this brilliant, seriously.

What's funny is that I'd be hard pressed to explain why I like it so much; the only game I've played that has any similarity would be Ace Attorney, which I'm not a huge fan of, but everything in your game just clicks for me. It's like some direct neural injection of "fucking awesome" and the withdrawals are fierce.

No rush to finish, but a cyberpunk sequel would probably kill me on contact from euphoria Wink

Edit: Also, totally unrelated, Helsing's Fire was a really nice game; the first game I had on my phone that I played for hours. You are morphing into a rock star [for me]  Tongue
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2013, 01:25:19 AM »

The new build is magnificent. Next, please!

Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »

I've been playing this in the morning with a cup of coffee and doughnuts. It really adds to the atmosphere!  Coffee

Really enjoying the current build! I was mistakenly trying to stamp all documents for a while, but I'm sure new players wont have that problem; it's just a hang up I carried over from previous play-troughs.

I can tell you put a lot of work into the faces, especially when their photo is only slightly different!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Great job! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Jobastion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »

Works well on Windows here.  Only odd thing in game I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned already (that I'm aware of) is that the Denied and Approve stamps now have a date on them which does not increment as the days go by.  I assume you've got plans for that though.
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2013, 09:15:11 PM »

I got 7? warnings during the playthrough and for most of them I had no idea what was missing/wrong. I double-checked everything.
Another problem was that when sometimes there was multiple disparencies, it only let me highlight one of them.
Still, had a lot of fun with that. Please continue.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2013, 10:40:24 PM »

Good game, now all you need is sound. And like epcc said, it would help if the warnings told you what you did wrong. Love all the art too, would be interesting if the world around your booth changed a little each day, like a war was going on or something.

Also voices would be really cool.

elija
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2013, 12:23:09 AM »

Original Idea, Good luck!
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2013, 01:09:53 AM »

On another playthrough, I realized that neither the kg meter nor the detain button work yet. Is that intentional?

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2013, 01:41:01 AM »

Thanks all for the new build feedback.

Only odd thing in game I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned already (that I'm aware of) is that the Denied and Approve stamps now have a date on them which does not increment as the days go by.  I assume you've got plans for that though.
On another playthrough, I realized that neither the kg meter nor the detain button work yet. Is that intentional?

Good eyes. Both of these are just not implemented yet and should fall into later builds.

I got 7? warnings during the playthrough and for most of them I had no idea what was missing/wrong. I double-checked everything.

I was wondering if the warning should mention the exact mistake. I assumed it wouldn't help much since by the time you get the warning the entrant is gone and you can't check their papers anymore. But both you and Armageddon have mentioned it so I'll experiment.

Another problem was that when sometimes there was multiple disparencies, it only let me highlight one of them.

Can you give me more info about this? The inspect mode should let you highlight any two pieces of information. Did you highlight two clearly discrepant pieces of info and it didn't show the Interrogate button?

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2013, 01:50:28 AM »

I was wondering if the warning should mention the exact mistake. I assumed it wouldn't help much since by the time you get the warning the entrant is gone and you can't check their papers anymore. But both you and Armageddon have mentioned it so I'll experiment.
Speaking from experience, in my last playthrough, I got 4 warnings on the first day. I had no idea what I did wrong. For the most part, on the first day, I thought I was supposed to approve pretty much everyone since I couldn't highlight discrepancies.

So, even if not exact, more info would be greatly appreciated.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic