Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:50:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPapers, Please [Available 8/8]
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36
Print
Author Topic: Papers, Please [Available 8/8]  (Read 529681 times)
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 14, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »

Awesome!

MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 14, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »

Looks like you need a new host for your files. Dropbox is giving a Too Much Traffic error. Anyone have any reliable suggestions?
Roshirai
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: April 14, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »

I think Greenlight is simply a bad idea on it' own but you can't get your games on Steam without it...

I reckon you can, though it's difficult. You can still contact Valve directly for a slot, or they may offer you one based on a game's festival performance or press coverage, or you can get one in cooperation with an indie-friendly publisher (Devolver Digital and Hotline Miami come to mind).

It's not a perfect system, obviously, but there are a lot of options for indies in this sort of position. The really hard part is making a truly great game!

barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: April 15, 2013, 05:34:11 AM »

Finally played this today after Northernlion's video reminded me. The atmosphere is perfect, and it's actually kind of difficult to make enough money every day, which I didn't expect it to be. I like that it gradually gets more and more difficult as more bureaucracy gets piled on. The graphics are good, and the animations are amazing for being lo-fi (especially the explosions and gore when there's an attack). I also like that there's bits and pieces of plot-lines starting to come together, but not in an obvious way.

I voted for this on greenlight, hope you get on there!

Porrima
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 15, 2013, 06:15:36 AM »

Glory to Arstotzka.

I have played through the demo a few times, and I love this game - certainly the best communist borderpost game of the year! And not too shabby otherwise, too.

I have a subjective opinion. People have here expressed difficulty in raising money. I wish to offend no one, and don't say this out of ego - but I have played computer games for more than 20 years of my 30 year life, and I have a very good visual memory and I'm good at pattern matching, if not in many other things.
Thus, I found the game very easy.
On my very first demo playthrough, though mistakes did happen, not once did my family miss either heat or food. I suppose the completed game won't be much longer than twice the demo, or am I wrong? In any case, it's a one night business if this is how it goes, for me.

I would like some sort of "hardcore" or "true worker" mode, where you can only do one error per day or you get firing squaded. (Or something.)

Please consider this option, if it is not too hard to make, and I suppose it might not be. I wish to enjoy stamping passports for a longer time than I ever figured I'd enjoy stamping passports before I tried this game.

mrbzzt
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 15, 2013, 10:35:04 AM »

I love the way the game uses mouse controls to give the feeling of actually handling physical objects. However, moving through a multi-page document or book feels clunky and unnatural.

It would be nice if the player could mouse scroll through a document or book under the cursor. Middle mouse click to go to be start of the document/book. Such interaction would have the same kind of feel as quickly flipping through a book in real life. Perhaps left/right arrow keys could work the same as scrolling.

Similarly, a key to use the loudspeaker would be a nice addition. Tab, Enter or Caps Lock (get it? you're speaking loudly) come to mind. Less time forgetting the loudspeaker because it's so out of place and more yelling at the people waiting in line just because you can.

Glory to Arstotzka.
Prisoner416
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 15, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »

An interesting option would be to have a Julian Assange figure, trying to smuggle secrets across the border. Different turn-outs depending on you letting him go or detaining him.
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: April 15, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »

I love the way the game uses mouse controls to give the feeling of actually handling physical objects. However, moving through a multi-page document or book feels clunky and unnatural.

It would be nice if the player could mouse scroll through a document or book under the cursor. Middle mouse click to go to be start of the document/book. Such interaction would have the same kind of feel as quickly flipping through a book in real life. Perhaps left/right arrow keys could work the same as scrolling.

Similarly, a key to use the loudspeaker would be a nice addition. Tab, Enter or Caps Lock (get it? you're speaking loudly) come to mind. Less time forgetting the loudspeaker because it's so out of place and more yelling at the people waiting in line just because you can.

Glory to Arstotzka.

I think it was mentioned earlier but part of the mouse interactions is to give that feeling of being flustered, so that clunkiness/unnaturalness works for the game - adding keyboard shortcuts might undermine that. In any case it's Lucas's call.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
harest
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 16, 2013, 08:23:19 AM »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/16/oh-yes-papers-please-is-a-communist-document-thriller/#more-149676

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: April 16, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »

About time they cover it! Beer!

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 16, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »

Also, it’s on Steam Greenlight right now, if all this communism has you itching to vote for something.

Tongue Great article.

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: April 16, 2013, 08:49:55 AM »

Wow, couldn't ask for a better article. Thanks RPS!

Maybe one day I can afford one of those insane background ads on there.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: April 16, 2013, 10:49:07 AM »

Wow, couldn't ask for a better article. Thanks RPS!

Maybe one day I can afford one of those insane background ads on there.

oh my god, they are so expensive...they sent me a package and Iwas like "oh sure that would be awes-" $20K  FOR ONE WEEK HOMEPAGE AD

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Daza[NZ]
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 16, 2013, 07:07:51 PM »

Haha, nice concept. So the whole game will take place in one setting then?

More or less, yeah. There will be some activity in the border checkpoint area at the top, but most of the focus will be in the booth.

If the inspection gameplay works out ok, I'm also thinking of incorporating the contrary mode where you work as a smuggler/spy-chief/terrorist-leader for the enemy state. You'd be assigned tasks ("smuggle 20kg of bullets"), recruit agents to pass through the border, set them up with fake documents, hide contraband on their body (you know where), and send them through the checkpoint. I guess that would take place in a different setting.

A possible extension of that is to have player-created smugglers in the pool of travelers passing through player-controlled inspectors. And THAT... might make a half-decent play-by-day multiplayer game.

Just played your beta of your game. I liked it a lot. I hope you will seriously consider your thoughts (quotes above) and adding a MP component to your game. It could be a separately standalone version which players playing Passport Please can opt to be (online) allowing some people in the cue to actually be player sent characters. Perhaps getting a bonus for catching them since they are criminals, rebels or spies. Also the chance of them offering a large bribe. Which if taken, will be deemed suspicions if your family suddenly has all their needs met. Perhaps a random inspection of a players bank account could result in the firing squad if large amount anomalies are present.
Spy chief players could rankup and get access to better forgery tools.

There could be an official scoreboard ingame and on the website that tallies how many spies or criminals have crossed over versus how many were caught. This could be a simple idea of US vs THEM. This could open up to a third standalone game tied into the other two, to do with morse code radio transmissions. Deciphering codes or messages, which in turn reveals spies identities or clues which are telegraphed to the border control. The PP players can use that info to catch the more difficult spies (who might have legit papers, but what he says doesn't match the information gained from the decoders etc.)

A fourth game within this same world could be the cities themselves, and catching the spies who have made it across the borders. Some sort of top down view of a city like Atom Zombie Smasher. The player manages the secret police, a budget and resources. Interrogate the suspects, perhaps a decipher has a location clue. All these games have the same idea of trying to keep their family alive. All four games cross over. Granted this could get quite complicated. Anyway Ideas a free.

Mirka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 17, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »

Glory to Arstotzka!

I learned about this game in the fine RPS article and after playing the current beta, I registered only to come here and say:

Your game is brilliant.
And I love the music and sound effects. The way you implement it is magnificent and reminds me of Hotline Miami and Cart Life, both masters in doing this.
And I love the dystopia setting. Not many games do it right, and you do it.

Now, I only have two requests:

Please, when you finish it, offer a DRM-free version via BTMicro, GOG or other distributor/portal. Your game already has some votes in GOG's wishlist:
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/papers_please

and please, go over the RPS article and read some comments. Some people have some awesome ideas on what you could implement.

(Also, congratulations to the Pioneers Dev too. I noticed he commented on the beginning of the thread and I learned about it the same way I learned about Papers, Please and I look forward to the game. And I also hope he give us a DRM-free version. Sorry for the hijacking, you can detain me now).
fides5566
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: April 17, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »

Love your game, simple and fun!

But I found a bug in day 6, the suicide bomber wasn't show up which made the game continue forever. He appeared at first time but after I restarted that mission(made many mistakes), he never shows up again.

I tried to restart the game and restart my computer. Nothing fix that bug.

Or could you tell me where is a save file of this game? I will try to edit save file just for a work around.
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: April 17, 2013, 07:17:37 PM »

oh my god, they are so expensive...they sent me a package and Iwas like "oh sure that would be awes-" $20K  FOR ONE WEEK HOMEPAGE AD

Get the eff out of here right now. 20,000 American dollars!? Although, given the absurd way that it completely dominates the entire page, MAYBE NOT SO BAD.

Just played your beta of your game. I liked it a lot. I hope you will seriously consider your thoughts (quotes above) and adding a MP component to your game....Granted this could get quite complicated. Anyway Ideas a free.

Thanks, and yes. I'm still thinking about a multiplayer side to this, but definitely not for the first release.

Love your game, simple and fun!
But I found a bug in day 6, the suicide bomber wasn't show up which made the game continue forever. He appeared at first time but after I restarted that mission(made many mistakes), he never shows up again.
I tried to restart the game and restart my computer. Nothing fix that bug.
Or could you tell me where is a save file of this game? I will try to edit save file just for a work around.

I need your help to fix this! This is a rare bug that's affected a few people and I haven't been able to track it down. I'll PM you with some questions.  Beg

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: April 17, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »

Yeah, it is insane. Don't Starve did it, I wonder how that worked out. It's an interesting prospect, but something I wouldn't ever risk unless I had far more capital...(Don't starve has almost certainly made around or above $2 million, based on the "# of people liking this" number)

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: April 18, 2013, 08:06:50 AM »

Sniping
(Ignore the double cursor. My only LICEcap complaint)

I wrestled for a while with how to handle the sniping. There were a brief few microseconds when I thought to cut it. Those moments passed without incident and now we're left with this.

The Problem
The problem is that sniping with a mouse is way too easy. Previously I suggested it might change from a cross-hair to an aim-line or some other silly thing to increase the difficulty. Obviously that's a terrible idea but I still wanted to make it harder.

Sorted It
So this is my solution. The sniping is still easy. What's hard is getting the gun. It's not just about moving your cursor up to the top any more. You have to be fast. In order to access a gun, you first need a key. You'll get these through the course of the story. Once you've got a key, it sits on your desk wherever you put it, buried under the papers, unused. When the moment strikes, you'll need to find the key on your desk, unlock the gun drawer using the key, select the gun, then shoot the runner/trespasser/enemy. If it sounds like a pain in the ass that's because it is. It uses the same standard interface of paper shuffling and drag and drop, but with an extreme time limit. The level of panic is just right. By the time you get the gun out, there's only a second or two to aim and shoot before the grenade is thrown.

Armaments
There'll be just two guns, unlocked as the game progresses:

Tranquilizer rifle
  • 3 rounds
  • less precise aiming
  • non-lethal drop in one hit (death animation above is wrong, it'll be bloodless)

Sniper rifle
  • 2 rounds
  • precise reticule
  • kills in one hit (bloody)

The tranquilize gun comes first so you'll always have the option for non-lethal force.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: April 18, 2013, 08:18:05 AM »

Oh, that key idea is a stroke of genius. It ties the sniping in with the main game mechanic nicely.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic