Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:00:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPapers, Please [Available 8/8]
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36
Print
Author Topic: Papers, Please [Available 8/8]  (Read 532538 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 06, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »

this and delver are manbabies heaven

babac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 07, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »

Instead of just announcing the price right-out, I decided to take a day and throw up a small mini game.

I'm not sure the term "overbribing" will actually catch on.  Corny Laugh
MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 10, 2013, 05:41:23 AM »

Would it be possible to prevent comparing items which currently can not be related to anything? I'm trying to watch the Yogscast do their playthrough, but when doing fingerprinting, they accidentally compared the fingerprints to the main fingerprint paper instead of the actual fingerprints. Unless you can tell me where comparing the full sheet would be used currently, it's a bit odd it'd allow you to compare the entire sheet by accident and get a bad result.

And yes, I do understand it is a little dumb they didn't realize "No Correlation" is literal and not a "Discrepancy." Just, it does seem odd you can compare things that would never need to be compared and I myself couldn't figure out a way they could be used.

Edit: And it'd be nice if the citation could fit "Fingerprints did not match" if the player got to that point and still let them through. I guess just think about it from a "newbs" perspective instead of someone who understands the game mechanics... I'm trying to help back the 'facepalm' attitude, because I'm sure I'd make a similar mistake just coming into the game... But then again, I might not because my mind is a bit weird and meticulous.
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: June 10, 2013, 06:27:13 AM »

Would it be possible to prevent comparing items which currently can not be related to anything?

This is one of the things I've fixed since the beta. Basically exactly as you suggest. Items that can't be compared aren't selectable. The fingerprint sheet is a good example but there's a bunch of similar cases.

Edit: And it'd be nice if the citation could fit "Fingerprints did not match" if the player got to that point and still let them through.

Good idea. I think it currently says something like "Identity Record: Invalid Fingerprints"... "Fingerprints do not match" would be a lot clearer.

MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 10, 2013, 06:33:13 AM »

Actually, in the current public version, it seems to only list the original problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDnGt5jM10#t=14m4s It listed the problem as the name, which was what prompted the fingerprint check. But it doesn't mention that the fingerprint check failed as well. I'm not sure how you'd fit a list of problems onto that, and having that any bigger would be bad, but since a player might try to compare by eye and not notice, somehow the information has to be there.
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: June 10, 2013, 06:37:25 AM »

Actually, in the current public version, it seems to only list the original problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDnGt5jM10#t=14m4s It listed the problem as the name, which was what prompted the fingerprint check. But it doesn't mention that the fingerprint check failed as well. I'm not sure how you'd fit a list of problems onto that, and having that any bigger would be bad, but since a player might try to compare by eye and not notice, somehow the information has to be there.

The fingerprints match there. The problem is that the alias doesn't, so the id card listing a different name must be forged.

MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 10, 2013, 08:06:51 AM »

Hmm... Well, that shouldn't be a problem the way the main release has been adjusted, then? Thanks.

Also, they didn't know they could stop Vince at the border. I left a comment on that, and after about 179 likes on it, they actually responded directly to it. Point being, people coming here from their videos can see that and not need explanation. Smiley Really wasn't expecting to be responded.
RunasSudo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 11, 2013, 08:02:41 PM »

Haha, stamping things is so much fun...

I actually made myself a Paper Stamper 'game' as stress relief.  Grin

I hope you don't mind!
RobRendell
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 12, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »

Haha, stamping things is so much fun...

I actually made myself a Paper Stamper 'game' as stress relief.  Grin

The actual game should have a draggable Denied/Approved stamper somewhere like the credits screen, so people can go nuts stamping all over the credits Smiley

If the credits get large enough that they need to scroll, so much the better, as whatever you stamp scrolls up the screen with it.
DeepQantas
Level 0

Ah, to be a hero...

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 13, 2013, 10:41:57 AM »

>> PapersPlea.se <<

Price Announcement

Instead of just announcing the price right-out, I decided to take a day and throw up a small mini game:

I see what you did there...

Discrepancy detected: Invalid issuing city.
MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 15, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »

I just had a thought and decided to come here with it. Is the game going to have a tutorial? That might solve some problems where people don't listen or understand the game teaching them mid-gameplay. I'm not saying not to tell the player what to do where appropriate - Just have the option for a mode that simply teaches them the basic tools and proper use. That way, they aren't on the clock trying to pass people through and either guessing mechanics or rushing too much to pay attention.

I'd understand not wanting to do that. It could make teaching ingame more difficult since someone might have used the tutorial and not want to hear it or not done the tutorial and need to hear everything on the fly. Just a thought.

Edit: I think I worded it better in this YouTube comment I wrote:

Because he honestly had no idea what he was doing, so everyone is freaking out at how many 'obvious' things he was missing. xD This video actually inspired me to ask the developer if a tutorial mode could be added. Going to see what he says about that. Teaching the player along the way could work, but since you're still on the clock during it, the player usually misses out on the details. Pushing the player into specific actions to learn might help.

So basically, I'm thinking the player feels too pressured to learn these things on the fly, and a tutorial mode might help with that since the player can just learn at their own pace there and then jump in. Could be a bit weird reworking the game for that, another reason not to do it.

By the way, I don't recommend watching Sips' (Yogscast) video on the game. I couldn't watch through it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:59:51 PM by MegaScience » Logged
fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 16, 2013, 08:19:38 AM »

Perhaps the tutorial could take the form of a training session? I mean, even in cold-war era jobs I'm sure the staff would still receive some basic training before they started properly
MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 16, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »

Especially border control. Even if the game starts off somewhat more open, it closes down in distrust.
RunasSudo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 17, 2013, 02:50:55 AM »

With the modding functionality, is there any way to add more days to the beta?
crem
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 23, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »

After taking fingerprints, I tried to match "no known aliases" text from a fingerprint slip with an ID card name (which was different from the name in passport), but it shown "NO CORELLATION". Shouldn't that work?
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: June 23, 2013, 11:12:42 PM »

...Tutorial stuff...

There are a lot of good arguments for a tutorial. But as a gamer I vastly prefer to learn things on the fly, even under pressure. The game will make it easy to go back and replay the day so you can always look at this as an implicit tutorial. I found myself doing this a few times on a recent play through and it was kinda fun to try optimizing a day before moving on.

By the way, I don't recommend watching Sips' (Yogscast) video on the game. I couldn't watch through it.

Yeah I actually can't watch more than a few minutes of any PP let's plays. Combination of horror at all the things I don't explain well enough and general fatigue from working on the game.

With the modding functionality, is there any way to add more days to the beta?

I don't remember the exact status of the beta anymore. It may be possible but there's also a good chance it's hard-coded.

After taking fingerprints, I tried to match "no known aliases" text from a fingerprint slip with an ID card name (which was different from the name in passport), but it shown "NO CORELLATION". Shouldn't that work?

This should work, yeah. At least, it works in the current dev builds so probably something was broken for beta.

First Playthrough

I just got to the point where the game can be played from start to finish with no placeholder content (missing only the ending sequences). In total it took just over 4 hours. Even though I felt rushed the whole time, 4 hours is a little longer than I intended. The general gameplay progression was pretty good but unfortunately some of the longer story threads fell flat.

I'll be taking time this week to flesh those threads out more. Hopefully I can get the "thriller" part of it to come out better.

MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 23, 2013, 11:42:13 PM »

Just make sure you get permission to recreate Thriller in this game. Tongue And don't forget to feature some user-created DLC when it is made. I'm sure there will be a few amazing ones worthy of being seen by all. Shocked (Talking about user additions since I can't know what the main game will bring. Tongue)
crem
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 24, 2013, 01:31:18 AM »

In all youtube playthroughs I watched, noone realized they can inspect if fingerprints match, when in doubt.

Also it seems that everyone thinks that if you see discrepancy like expired document, you cannot just reject the document, you need to interrogate about that first. (And also I doubt if my understanding is correct).
Frostiken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 25, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »

By the way, I'd just like to say that the Astotzkan Anthem is just amazing. Kudos to whoever produced it.
Svetlana
Level 1

part-time composer, full-time squirrel girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: July 11, 2013, 08:18:25 AM »

In all youtube playthroughs I watched, noone realized they can inspect if fingerprints match, when in doubt.

Also it seems that everyone thinks that if you see discrepancy like expired document, you cannot just reject the document, you need to interrogate about that first. (And also I doubt if my understanding is correct).

i always interrogate about all details that are wrong, and on my third play doing so i could do it fast enough to not only maintain my family, i was starting to turn in a profit

so i guess that's a totally legit way to play

xoxoxo call me
-Svetlana

personal blog
game music portfolio <3 <3 <3 please hire me
avatar by the lovely lovely dickmissiles~
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic