Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:29:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingkampfpanzer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: kampfpanzer  (Read 3807 times)
Haze
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2007, 06:05:07 AM »

Hello!

kampfpanzer ("battle tank") is one of my side projects. Download it from here: http://www.sposch.net/~tmp/

* This project started as a type of 2D Battlefield1942 clone. I have since then decided to turn it into a basic vertical shoot-em-up, at least for the first release. Controls are WASD+Mouse.

* Right now I am working on a shop screen where you can upgrade your tank using the cash you'll get from your mercenary duties. I just added some aeroplanes dropping bombs and I am also implementing some new weapons, napalm, a cyanide spray gun, and night vision. You can change time of day using the F1-F4 keys, soon there'll be a flashlight upgrade to mount onto your tank.

* I'm not sure where I'm going with the multiplayer part but I'd like to do some sort of team/co-op mode and/or a Firepower-ish 1 vs. 1 mode with attacking/defending your homebases. Let me know what you think about that? Actually a good chunk of the netcode is written but multiplayer isn't fully enabled in this build.

* This version unfortunately contains lots of nicked sprites and generic Fruity Loops samples. I am actually looking desperately for an artist to help polish this game. Let me know if you want to contribute!

All kind of feedback is welcome really. Just don't see this as a finished game, there are many glitches. I am adding some new feature everyday so I may update this thread from time to time if that's OK.

See ya!
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 08:56:38 AM »

I have no idea on how to play the game. WHat am I suppose to do? I click, right click, hit almost every keys but nothing happens. Plus, the game crashes when I click too oftenly... Probably when I double-click too many times on a red dot.

I'm on a AMD 64, 1.6gh, 1g ram machine running windows XP.

Haze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 09:11:41 AM »

Aha, now that is weird! But thanks for trying anyway.

Hmm you're supposed to move with your WASD keys and aim with the mouse. There should be helicopters and all kinds of stuff attacking you from all directions even if you're not moving. I will check why this is not happening. It is strange because the demo I uploaded works just fine here.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 09:13:30 AM by Haze » Logged
Haze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 09:48:06 AM »

Uploaded a new build which I believe should fix this:
http://www.sposch.net/~tmp/kampfpanzer.zip

The singleplayer game is actually a server with a single player slot. In certain cases the game couldn't spawn the player.

See ya
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 12:36:38 PM »

Very Hard. I think that you should lower the number of helicopters, or take down their hit points. You should gradually increase the number of badguys as you go on instead of throwing an overwelming amount at the player as soon as he starts.You should also make the bullets easier to see, it was hard to aim as well as dodge the bullets. I noticed that you can leave the screen to the left and right as far as you want. Overall, it's pretty nice. I like the graphics style. Keep working on it and it could turn into a great game.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 04:30:30 PM »

Now it's working fine...

Wait just a sec... Are you saying that if I want to play your game I must be online? And on top of this, you are not asking me too before doing so? Naughty naughty! Wink if you're going to make a single player game, always make it offline. And if you want to make this a multiplayer game online, tell us before. The player must always know what's going on with his cpu, specially in our time of viruses and hacks.

Make sure that if you absolutly need a internet connection that you tell the player you're going to connect and if that's ok. Second make sure you tell us you're connected before the game starts. In-game, it's irrelevant but you have to give us a sign that you are connected to the server between games.

And add some confirmation messages when you are exiting the game and program so the player doesn't loose a game because of a mis-typing.

If you're going to have a mouse control in the menu, use it. Make it that we can access the games by doublecliking or adding ok buttons or anything controled by the mouse.

I stornlgy suggest that you create an offline single playe rmode to test the game correctly and then work on online multiplayer. Network coding isn't easy and must be well created so that your players don't get nasty surprises by playing your game. You don't want filthy individuals using your game as an open door to someone elses system. 

Also, for the game itself, it's way too hard to start. Like HandCraftedRadio mentionned, make it easier.

The game has potential tho, keep at it and don't fear comments of players. What have you planned out for the game? Customable units? Upgrades? Weaponry? Special units?

Keep it up!
Guert

Haze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 10:32:33 PM »

Hey,

Nice to hear it's working for you now.

Yes I would agree it's hard but I have to say I really prefer hard games so that's what it will be. I am a fan of Commando, which is frustrating but somehow I like the tension in that game. I guess I tried to recreate that a bit, but I agree so far it doesn't seem to work, not with a WASD + Mouse-aim anyway. Also there is currently just no real incentive to progress through the game.

I just dumbed down the helicopters hitpoints and tweaked the bullets so they're easier to see.

Some new features will be that upgrades can be purchased in a shop screen, faster movement and firing rate, armor, put multiple turrets on the tank, flamethrowers, ... It is also possible to tweak these weapons in a script. I'm so far happy how this project turns out, it is just 3 weeks of work.

Just for the record, this game didn't/doesn't actually connect to anywhere. The version you tested just ran a fake server, which means it uses the network functionality of your system to communicate to itself (loopback). It doesn't actually connect to the internet and it doesn't allow connections from outside but I should have stated this upfront, sorry about that. One exception might be an optional internet hiscore feature which will download hiscores off the website.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 05:17:09 AM »

Ah, good news about the connection thing! Wink If it works this way then I have no problem with it.

For the difficulty, I think the game can be hard but not when we start off the game. Give us time to explore a bit with a couple of missions, just to get the hang of the controls and general rules. After 2 missions, you start bringing some diffilculty elements in.

Anyway, keep it up! The game is coming along nicely at this rate. Don't give up! Wink

Later!

Haze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 11:02:54 PM »

Awww, the project came to a halt yet again but I am back adding cool things to the game.

Some blood and gore is smeared across the map when you drive your tank over troops, and I added a
rocket launcher (dabbling with heat seeking missiles instead of dumb rockets)

I am also experimenting with other different weapon types (anything is possible in this regard) but I'm really an inexperienced game designer so who knows which weapons will make it into the final game.

And of course my graphics are still ugly as fuck.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 11:04:32 PM by Haze » Logged
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 05:14:17 AM »

The bets way to design weapons is to make a list of all the things the player can possibly do. From the basic control (move, shoot, etc) to more advance situations (squish people, jump, shoot various enemies at once, spread his shots around the map, etc...). Then, you decide which move you want to make the player focus. Do you wnat the player to easily spread his shots? Do you wnat him to fight at close or long range? Do you you wnat him to move more than shoot or shoot more than move? Do you want it to be more strategy or action oriented? When you got all thoses questions answered, you just create weapons that will allow the player to do what you wnat him to. This way, every weapon is going to have its use and it will allow different players to play the same game differently using different weapons.

Just remember that weapons aren't weapons: they are ways to focus a player's attention on one aspect of the game. The more weapons, the more aspect you show.

Anyway, keep it up! 
Later!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic