Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 12:36:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallEquin- The Lantern, Dragon Quest / Rougelike
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Equin- The Lantern, Dragon Quest / Rougelike  (Read 5306 times)
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »

Hello everybody, I have just released my latest game Equin- The Lantern.

EDIT: VERSION v1.3ST was put on Greenlight, 7/18/16

If I had to best describe it, I'd say it's a lot like Dragon Quest in the combat system with some Dark Souls sprinkled in for overall mystery and etc (as well as the different weapons have different movesets / battle actions). It's also my first roguelike, so I guess it's a lot of things haha.

You see, there's this big dungeon controlled by an ominous Lantern (a ha!) Nobody knows where it came from or what it does, but you aim to find out. Take control of either Wizard, Thief, or Warrior and journey the dungeon's 50 floors while collecting treasures and more than 300 items and weapons.

The lantern shines in 5 different color phases, and each has certain effects on the overall game. It's up to the player to figure out what each phase does and how it might affect him (and the enemies!) But fear not, for you can gain helpful tips in the dungeon guilds to assist you.

There is a demo available at my site. The full game will be released this August 2016 regardless of how it does on Steam for $3.

Please check it out and let me know what you think and thanks.

Equin The Lantern on Steam Greenlight
http://Https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=727282097

Differences in V1.3ST:
Gamepad support
Quit / save system while keeping Permadeath
Improved two handed weapon mechanics (auto equip and etc)
Ability to unequip items now
New maps
New items
New floor event: Icebox. Brrrrrr!!
Jail cells. Open to release champ enemies if you dare!
Spider webs. Don't get stuck! Use them to trap enemies too.
More dungeon thugs like edible flowers
Mushrooms grow in rain or darkness. Careful, you might get poisoned!

New music from Rocco W!

V1.3ST trailer:

DXF Games website
http://dxfgames.com/
Equin: The Lantern page at Roguebasin
http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Equin:_The_Lantern

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:07:29 AM by Del_Duio » Logged

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 08:41:03 PM »

the graphics in this are pretty good Smiley

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 06:33:06 AM »

the demo of this is pretty good  Smiley

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 08:40:32 AM »

This looks pretty good. Smiley

Yeah.
DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »

Downloading now  Grin

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 02:11:02 PM »

Thanks guys! So far the response has been almost all positive which is a nice change of pace! I'm not huge into roguelikes however I do like me some hybrid Spelunky action still.

Here's a few more shots:

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 06:06:04 AM »

My complaint so far is I'd like to be able to remap the keys used if possible.

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »

Here, I made a couple gameplay videos today. They are sort of non-action packed but that's kind of the type of game that it is.  Smiley

Wizard class up until floor 9:

Warrior class from floor 10-13:

P.S: If any of the people who bought it are reading this now, thanks a lot you rule!!

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 05:45:06 AM »

I bought it but want to ask how patches would be obtained, if you make any.

PayLoadz doesn't seem very good as a service... But maybe it's better than it seems.

Actually I don't think I will even enjoy this too much (but enough for the price) but there's promise at the very least and it was only $5 so I thought why not help motivate an aspiring rpg-like dev, can't have too many  Smiley

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »

Thanks a lot, Alextended  Smiley

There's no scheduled patches or anything, we were able to playtest the living bejeesus out of it and all the bugs should be ironed out.

I want to resist the temptation of going back to the game and adding more stuff. I actually added about 80 more things to the game here and there for a long time before release. I guess I didn't know when to stop adding weapons or whatever.

Until it was TOO LATE.

Dun dun dunnn!!

But seriously, thanks a lot man I appreciate the support The Lantern's getting  Gentleman

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »

Yeah that was just me hoping for key config patch I guess Tongue

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 12:40:13 PM »

Thanks again to all of you who made this game a success story to me!

It's good to see the kind of support this site generates  Smiley

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 02:44:48 PM »

Hello again guys!

I'm working on a verion 1.2 of the game that incorporates both new content and new gameplay features for both the demo and the full game. If you've already bought the full game (and thank you if you have!) I am going to send you a free v1.2 when it's complete. For shits & giggles. I think it's a nice thing to do especially if you already like the game.

I've done a lot with this, so I don't think it'll be more than a couple weeks max before it's finished. Here's a short rundown of what's new or different so far:

*Classes have had adjustments to make them more balanced.
*New random floor events including 'Quiet' and 'Timebomb' which should be fun (lol)
*Characters can now get hit streak bonuses which give them extra XP and deal more damage.
*Characters can now get poisoned by snakes & etc.
*Many new items and equipment to find including more element weapons, HP / STM regenerating stuff and gear that's suited for the new gameplay like Streak Potions.
*Touching a statue might now regenerate HP or change an item in your backpack into another item completely.
*New boss monster 'Reaper.'
*Monster infestation floors now grant an additional 50% XP bonus for every enemy killed.
*Chest traps are harder to disarm, making the thief & his chest keys more viable.
*Wizards are now limited in their gear to normal 'wizard-y' stuff (i.e. light armor & weapons) They were far too powerful before.
*Thieves' 2nd tier class skill 'poison' got a damage boost.
*Chance that a type of floor trap won't show up on any given floor (i.e. poison grass, spike traps, fire floors, etc)
*Fill empty bottles up at the new cauldrons to gain any of the game's potions including rares.

I added the game to Roguebasin if you want to learn a bit more about it here: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Equin:_The_Lantern

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 01:59:19 AM »

The graphics look cool, I will give it a try.

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 03:00:52 AM »

Okay, all the game's floor events have been coded and it looks something like this:

Rainstorm (floors 2+)
Darkness (floors 4+)
Slithering (floors 3-11)
Timebomb (floors 5+)
Infestation (floors 8+)
Inferno (floors 11+)
Graveyard (floors 12+)
Treasure (floors 21+)
Quiet (floors 25+)
Boss (floors 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, & 50)

--

Darkness floors are... dark! Which of course means you not only can't see as well while walking around you will get ambushed at the start of combat more often.

Graveyard floors are full of only undead monsters, vampire bats, and gravestones. The enemies here are harder to kill than usual too. There's an increased chance of shadow chests to spawn and a ghost boss enemy near the exit ladder.

Timebomb floors start off with an imminent mass explosion that will kill everything on the level. It'll give you a timer and you'll have to reach the exit before it runs out or *BLAMMO* that's all folks!

Treasure floors have a much higher rate of spawning treasure chests and only chest-type enemies will appear (excluding any bosses as designated by a boss floor event). Chest enemies can be brutal as they're the only enemies in the game whose stats scale with dungeon depth.

Slithering floors are filled with snakes & deadly asps only. They only spawn towards the beginning of the game as a snake only floor on floor 40 isn't very challenging at all.

Inferno floors are loaded with fire trap tiles. Could wreak havoc on a player's early wooden gear but this mixes it up a lot.

Infestation floors have shitloads of more enemies in them and you'll get a big XP bonus for killing any while here.

Quiet floors have a new boss on them (Reaper) who's already killed everybody else. He's very tough- 2nd only to the final boss- but since you might run into him much earlier it could pose quite the challenge. Quiet floors are also always dark.

Rainstorm floors have indoor rain and you can't use your torches or set up campfires in the rain (wall torches & random campfires won't spawn here either). There's an increased chance of ponds and killer plants and now you have better odds of catching fish during a rainstorm.

--

Some of the new items address the new floor events. For example there's a pocket watch that extends the timebomb's timer by 50 steps. And a Blast Suit you can wear that keeps you from dying from an explosion (but you still take a lot of damage).

Also there's new grenades you can find that causes an explosion in 3 steps. Why would anybody do that? Well explosions now kill everything on the floor including the player so if you have a blast suit on you'd be the soul survivior and could breeze to the exit.

I also added some new battle effects for some of the new weapons. RUST (6 STM) reduces an enemy's DEF to 0. MORPH (9 STM) changes an enemy into a Slime. In fact if you change an enemy into a slime and flee battle it'll be walking around the map as a slime permanently. Since these effects are so strong the weapons are hard to get.

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 03:34:07 PM »

Well, it's done! It's in the final testing phase now.

There was a total of 50 new items, 5 new floor events, 1 new boss enemy, and 9 new maps.
The big gameplay additions were the ability to get poisoned, hit streaks & bonuses, bottles & cauldrons, gold mine deposits & pickaxes, and some new spells and effects. Traps are harder to disarm, statues have some new possible powers, blood fountains, the wizard got a much-needed nerf but new spell tomes for additional combat magic, enemies got new abilites like heal  Ninja

I predict it will be out this time next week, I'll make it known here just as soon as I e-mail the full v1.2 copies to my customers. Wish me luck! Or more likely, don't say anything at all!  Cheesy

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:38:26 PM by Del_Duio » Logged

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 07:02:24 AM »

Version 1.2 is out, you can get both the demo and full game here:

http://dxfgames.com

A lot of good things were added, yet overall the game's more challenging now.
I'll update Roguebasin later when I can. Have fun!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:09:51 AM by Del_Duio » Logged

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »

How do I download the new version if I bought it before?

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 07:12:46 AM »

Hello and bump for version v1.2CT which was released yesterday. This should be the last thing I release until Hasslevania 2 comes out.

Overall, the game is a lot better now. It's harder, that's for sure. There's a new opening scene for the small story. Classes are more balanced and the warrior's skills are bazillion percent improved from vanilla and 1.2. There's a new late-game floor event "The Arena of Death", a secret floor tied to heroes from my past Equin games, lots of new items and gear including the helpful Compass for when you're lost in the dark or scrambling to escape a Time Bomb floor. And now all fire damage will burn and destroy your wooden equipped gear (includes enemy fire spells). Yeowtch.

A complete list of all the changes and additions are included in the downloads for both full and demo. There' also a full item listing excel file in the full version which can be pretty helpful if you get stuck. The page at Roguebasin has also been updated and has some tips and tactics which are worth checking out also.

P.S: Anyone here who has already bought the full game prior will be getting a free update e-mail from me within the next few days.

achebit
Level 1

Pixelartist - Chiptunist - Codist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »

Rabbitlike!

I make games more retro than ya mums prom night dress.

Twitter @achebit
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic