Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:36:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsc h r o n o b a l l
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: c h r o n o b a l l  (Read 8460 times)
Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:13:38 PM »

Latest playable browser build located HERE!

Invite 'GROMANGE'
- if you need someone to play and i'll try and take my turn as soon as possible

Hello. We are making a multiplayer asynchronous turn based football/rugby game where the turns are resolved simultaneously. This game started out in Fuck This Jam, so we tried to remove all the things we didn't enjoy about traditional sports games and turn it in to something we could dig.

So, this meant focusing on the strategic value of team sports and avoiding all the other superfluous junk. So we switched it to turn based and converted all imagery into something more like controlling something from the space. Where everything is symbols, turning arcs, stats, radii, and other such futurey iconography. Hopefully it feels like you are orchestrating and planning out the greatest victory ever conceived.

Here is how we intend it to look so far:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:03:24 PM by Gorman » Logged

antoniodamala
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:33:33 PM »

This seems really nice but i have some points: Why not make the characteristic stats (speed,strength,balance) be relationated to a class (tackler,dasher)? Are the stats Control, Concentration, Confidence, Commitment the variants of HP/status? Are you focusing more on simulating or making a game?
panthus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:37:53 PM »

I really like the look. Feels old and futuristic, like 40 years after the future some guy is trying to make out the once bright lights through a dusty screen or faded inks.
I also prefer Chronoball to Turboball.
Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »

Cheers Panthus!

This seems really nice but i have some points: Why not make the characteristic stats (speed,strength,balance) be relationated to a class (tackler,dasher)? Are the stats Control, Concentration, Confidence, Commitment the variants of HP/status? Are you focusing more on simulating or making a game?

Good point, and your right, we haven't quite worked that out yet, but essentially there will a type of class system based on stats that indicates function and is displayed in game somehow.  

The four C's you mention are just a concept at the moment, I was playing around with a way to quantify a players current psychology and how it can affect in game performance. Kind of like some kind of power system you need to manage thats driving a player. Its probably too convoluted to work, but who knows, that part of the game is pre-prototype.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:54:13 PM by Gorman » Logged

Mallus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 05:05:20 AM »

Interface is awsumz. Guess that gameplay will follow along. Keep it up Smiley
Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »

Here is our latest build:

http://strayrobotgames.com/tb

Feel free to invite me ('GROMANGE') to a game if you want to test it out.

During Fuckthisjam we couldn't get many to play because of email registration for turn notifications. So we ended up redoing the front end to be more accessible and not require any kind of registration up front.

Our two-three day feature/bugfix hitlist is as follows:

• Show ball moving when passed
  • Improve marking
  • Show what action is connected to what marker
  • Limit pass distance
  • Add kicking
  • Trial some turn over situations (this is probably the most urgent)
  • Fix game start, add kick off (probably even more urgenter)
  • Way pointing
  • Some indication of player proficiency (classes)

edit.... so after a game or two our todo list has expanded greatly and a bunch of bugs have been fixed/found.  

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:02:46 PM by Gorman » Logged

Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:44:12 PM »

Had some tech difficulties with matchmaking which is now fixed. So any random matches started should now work properly.

Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Completed the following:
  • Replay button, so you can see the previous turn again and again and again
  • Increased the length of the replay, added phases so you can see events and tries
  • Camera now follows the ball.
  • Kicking and kick offs added - so the start of the game should make more sense??
  • Lots of tech stuff server side that I don't understand

None of this is live in the web build yet...

Next up we are looking at adding turnovers after a certain number of tackles and also looking to remove the setup phase of the game. Currently I think it is confusing players and not making a particularly enjoyable first look at the game. As evidenced by the several dozen game starts and abandonments.

This may fall on deaf ears, but if any member would like to proffer some advices on their experience with the game it would help our next few days of dev.

Picture of UI work for TLDR folk:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:52:40 PM by Gorman » Logged

Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 09:55:20 PM »

The game and UI should be shed loads more understandable and more funner now.

Ummmm still a million shoulda coulda woulda's. The gameplay still needs fleshing out with dive tackles, fends, sidesteps and all that jazz. The graphics never lived up to the mockup. Its hard replicating photoshop layers in Unity - so might need to take another look at how we are trying to achieve things.

This is the last major update before calling it quits for this comp.  

UPDATE NOTES:

• Can invite other players by !name! now
  • Kickoff area restricted
  • Kick accuracy added
  • Pass and kick distances altered
  • Possession handover after 4 tackles on the ball holder
  • 'Game status bar' added
  • Ball marker now matches color of team
  • Error text now white and readable
  • Replay event spacing more 'understandable'
  • MOUSEOVERS added to UI so you know whats a button
  • Placeholder tackle success/failure text added

Still a few bugs lurking around too.

Latest playable build located HERE!

Invite 'GROMANGE' if you need someone to play

(add i'll try and take my turn as soon as possible)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:24:05 PM by Gorman » Logged

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »

I have challenged you.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »

I like this. The visuals are very clean and slick, and they suit the game's feel. It wouldn't let me enter my email for the notifications so had to keep checking back to the site, and at one point I think I accidentally skipped a turn. It's a shame I didn't get to play more before the deadline as I would have liked to see a touchdown or the end game. Good stuff Hand Thumbs Up Left

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic