Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 02:41:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAwful Classics
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Awful Classics  (Read 6513 times)
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »

Most adventure games I say are quite playable. I mean, games like Day of the Tentacle still stand pretty strong today.

Two adventure games that really frustrate me are I Have No Mouth I Must Scream which can lock you in dead ends continually without any indication of whether you're in them or not(It'd be a rather exceptional game if it at least ended whatever story you were on but nope... you forgot to do one thing that it barely gave you an indication you're supposed to do), and the first Gabriel Knight which had puzzles which were extremely disturbingly abstract.

Both games could be absolutely brilliant with a few tweaks, however, I don't understand how anyone before the age of walkthroughs could really play through them. I suppose a lot of patience and a lot of trial and error.

Still, there's a fine line in the puzzles in these being a difficult brainteaser, and being so insanely unreasonably abstract to cover up the fact the designers couldn't actually come up with a difficult brainteaser.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 02:41:22 PM »

Half of the whole concept of fun is subjective
A more correct statement is that we think it is subjective.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 03:40:49 PM »

It would better be sarcasm mr Sinclair  Noir

sonic is objectively a piece of shit and fails miserably at everything it sets out to do

not sarcasm

just

the facts

Tiger

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 03:42:09 PM »

Well you are not wrong if you state the correct game in the series

Oh I can see what you did Tongue

antoniodamala
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »

It would better be sarcasm mr Sinclair  Noir

sonic is objectively a piece of shit and fails miserably at everything it sets out to do

not sarcasm

just

the facts

Tiger

The only Sonic that i think that matters is Sonic Battle from GBA. And that's because it has nothing to do with running.

Well, maybe Sonic is not a classic, but this surely is:

Don't you think it's great to discover how we learned from past mistakes, or how we keep doing the same mistakes in modern gaming, as well as ways to fix it? I sure do, folks.

One word for ya: tutorials.

Also, what about console classics? Surely there are games out there that just don't work all that well, and sometimes become too grand or fail to make proper controls. Or perhaps it has a whole bunch of annoying aspects, like unavoidable traps or enemies, or broken attacks. I seem to recall a lot of NES games in which most of these happen.

I dunno, maybe Earthbound zero? I haven't played it yet, but most people say that it is like  getting constantly kicked in the teeth.

----

and most of all:
Diablo combat gave me cancer

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »

most computer games age badly because of terrible controls/ergonomy, Classic games often age even more badly because they often rely on novelty gimmicks. For example in 1984 it was fun trying to find the correct words to use in a text adventure game (heck it was so futuristic to have a 'dialog' with the computer), in 1995 navigating an irritating maze was what passed for an awesome game, as long as it involved some fashion of 3D or pseudo 3D (it was so futuristic!). In 1997 navigating the useless world of daggerfall for hours was so awesome because..well you get the idea. also: we get used to the comfort of modern interfaces and it becomes difficult to understand how people would do all the required shit in order to run a DOS game (like type several lines in the command line interface EVERY TIME)
I just tried to play morrowind for the first time recently and I lost motivation and suspect that the game didn't age very well either

Most console games pre-playstation aged very well because at this time and in this part of the industry, ergonomy/playability was king.
Since the playstation era, console games lost the focus on playability and you'll find a lot of game that age very badly on consoles too.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
deathtotheweird
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2012, 09:04:12 PM »

I remember super mario brothers 3 being fun when I was younger, played it recently and found it extremely dull.

probably wouldn't go so far as calling it awful, but it's certainly bad.

feel the same way about the nes castlevania's. awful games.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2012, 09:04:33 PM »

Morrorwind is great if you can handle random consequence of pushing a button and having a big miss, like missing an elephant in a corridor in close contact, not mentioning the geek wall at the beginning where you can do underperforming character due to noob trap information overload. But the world is great, actually there is better variety than in skyrim. So yeah it's a classic, just bad interface and wonky battle, it's demanding. However the trick is to follow the "tour" the game provide you so you won't headf in stupid situation too fast, you don't need to fight to progress in the game, so it's less hassle for you.

I remember super mario brothers 3 being fun when I was younger, played it recently and found it extremely dull.

I'm gimmy and i don't approve your message. I still play m3, best platform game evar.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2012, 09:09:34 PM »

How old are we talking here?

Well over a decade ago I had the patience for rpgs and sim games like Harvest Moon, but I can't be arsed anymore. I tried picking up milestone rpgs like FF6 and CT in later years, but they utterly fail to arouse interest. If I tried playing FF7 now for the first time I'd probably never finish it, but I somehow enjoyed it then.

I'm gimmy and i don't approve your message. I still play m3, best platform game evar.

I like it for some of the later worlds, they're quite fun even today. If I could though I'd immediately skip the first world altogether with every playthrough. Like most mario games following it, the difficulty is way low for the first areas and then jumps to about medium. Had to be kid-friendly, after all. I remember the frustrations of playing Super Mario Bros. as a 3 or 4 year old.

As for CV, criticism is blasphemy.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:17:07 PM by Faust06 » Logged
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2012, 09:13:51 PM »

The nes catlevanias are definitely bad, and always were.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2012, 09:41:51 PM »

I don't understand people who play for just difficulties, in M3 there is plenty challenge for me to create that the game is still fun, it's a huge playground. BTW I was able to get 3 whistles (on the nes, can't replicate it on VC version, also might be pal/ntsc issue) in the first world, I never seen anyone else done that to this day!

VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2012, 09:52:42 PM »

I don't understand people who play for just difficulties, in M3 there is plenty challenge for me to create that the game is still fun, it's a huge playground. BTW I was able to get 3 whistles (on the nes, can't replicate it on VC version, also might be pal/ntsc issue) in the first world, I never seen anyone else done that to this day!
Where's the third one? I know about 1-3, castle and the hidden part of 2's map, but I never knew about another one. I knew you could get an anchor at 1-4, but no whistle. (You can also skip straight to 8 with just two whistles by using the whistle while in warp zone.)

But yeah, there's some extra challenges, such as getting the anchors (requires you to collect every single coin in specific levels) or using your tail + respawning enemies in 1-2 or 2-castle for infinite lives.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2012, 10:00:13 PM »

The old good classic games are not necessarily bad, the issue is that the game or genre has been done better afterwards. If you have played the better version, there is no point of going back. Usually this means how well the controls work and how well the idea behind game is translated into a concrete form.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2012, 10:02:01 PM »

World 1-1 as a white block at the begining, find a raccoon leaf then go behind the env, then you must run and fly and without touching the ground more than two times I think, then you can go though the dark and get a whistle. It's hard to pull of and the timing is strict, you must also use the tail to fall slowly and have a large distance in air. The notable obstacle is the air pipe just after the hidden P switch.

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2012, 10:18:54 PM »

I don't know, most of my favorite ancient games are still good. And I keep discovering really old, good games that I didn't play back in the day.

My examples would be... Super Off Road for NES. It's just not very fun now.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2012, 10:23:13 PM »

World 1-1 as a white block at the begining, find a raccoon leaf then go behind the env, then you must run and fly and without touching the ground more than two times I think, then you can go though the dark and get a whistle. It's hard to pull of and the timing is strict, you must also use the tail to fall slowly and have a large distance in air. The notable obstacle is the air pipe just after the hidden P switch.

SMB3 is girly.

I like SMB1 most.

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2012, 11:00:44 PM »

SMB3 is girly.

I like SMB1 most.

you dislike girly things?
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2012, 11:04:26 PM »

SMB3 is girly.

I like SMB1 most.

you dislike girly things?

Yes

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »

lol girls are so weak and lame right NO GIRLS ALLOWED

what a nerd

girly men with mustaches

nerd 4 ever
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2012, 11:17:26 PM »

lol girls are so weak and lame right NO GIRLS ALLOWED

what a nerd

girly men with mustaches

nerd 4 ever

It is not about that, it is because I am a POWER MALE who likes POWER MALE art.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic