Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:31:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNadia was here, retro RPG [Just released]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Nadia was here, retro RPG [Just released]  (Read 29605 times)
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2013, 05:22:29 AM »

Thanks! I'll leave the temple for now. Perhaps I'll redo the entire thing, perhaps It doesn't look as bad close-up, I don't know.

I feel as though giving the characters an extra defensive option of some sort would be good though - right now all you can do to avoid damage is put a party member in an empty lane if there is one.

I've been thinking about this some more, because having something like this would allow for more moves and enemy setups.

What I've come up with is an amulet that makes the character wearing it invulnerable to any attack. A one-of, unmissable item. This piece equipment ensures there is always an "empty lane" so to speak.
The catch: When the two other allies are dead, it's game over. I could come up with a background story for the item that it uses the support of at least one other character to power it or something.

I actually want to make more equipment in this style. Big bonusses coupled with big drawbacks, that change your options in interesting ways.

Another such item that has been in my mind for a while is a "vampire amulet." Once the equipped character dies, it turns into a vampire. It keeps it's ability to use moves, but it slowly leeches hp from other characters until it's hp is back to full. Once hp reaches 0 and there is no other character to leech from, the character dies as normal.
It might be too powerful though, an alternative is a zombie amulet that works the same, but the character can only use a basic physical attack. (Making the warrior an obvious choice, I guess)

How does that sound?

Little Nando
Level 1

Working on Tough Coded Project

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2013, 06:34:45 AM »

This looks way too cool

Little Nando / Twitter / Blog
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »

Thanks! I'll leave the temple for now. Perhaps I'll redo the entire thing, perhaps It doesn't look as bad close-up, I don't know.

I feel as though giving the characters an extra defensive option of some sort would be good though - right now all you can do to avoid damage is put a party member in an empty lane if there is one.

I've been thinking about this some more, because having something like this would allow for more moves and enemy setups.

What I've come up with is an amulet that makes the character wearing it invulnerable to any attack. A one-of, unmissable item. This piece equipment ensures there is always an "empty lane" so to speak.
The catch: When the two other allies are dead, it's game over. I could come up with a background story for the item that it uses the support of at least one other character to power it or something.

I actually want to make more equipment in this style. Big bonusses coupled with big drawbacks, that change your options in interesting ways.

Another such item that has been in my mind for a while is a "vampire amulet." Once the equipped character dies, it turns into a vampire. It keeps it's ability to use moves, but it slowly leeches hp from other characters until it's hp is back to full. Once hp reaches 0 and there is no other character to leech from, the character dies as normal.
It might be too powerful though, an alternative is a zombie amulet that works the same, but the character can only use a basic physical attack. (Making the warrior an obvious choice, I guess)

How does that sound?

That could work. You might also think about giving characters dexterity and agility stats that determine hit/dodge rates. Would make things tactically more interesting by giving a third defensive stat to consider, and would work thematically as well (Hulgan has physical defense, Tereshan has magic defense, and Nadia has agility). Certain skills and especially spells could autohit (better against nimble foes), while others may be less accurate but deal more damage (better against heavy armored foes). If it's not too difficult. If you decide to mix things up and add hit probability, critical hits are fun too.

I like all the changes you made in the new demo. The extra pausing you added to the combat helps a lot. I was able to appreciate the combat system a lot more this time because of it: very simple, but surprisingly deep. I got stuck in the forest: I couldn't claim the Earth Flute, backtracked, and couldn't get anywhere else. Also, it might be a good idea to move the item/skill/spell selection to the right side of the screen, since the cursor is hanging out around there anyway. Otherwise, no big issues.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
tanyaxshort
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2013, 06:16:47 PM »

I really really like the environment art - the palette, the perspective, the setting. All lovely. And the title is super-evocative... I was almost disappointed that the intro didn't start with the mystery of Nadia and her importance!

A few small notes (I'm not very far yet):
* At first I didn't understand why I had to use keyboard AND mouse instead of just keyboard, until I got into combat... I imagine this would be really ideal with a gamepad/Xbox controller?
* I like the combat positioning. I look forward to having party members I have to protect. :D
* I really want the ability to 'skip turns' when avoiding enemies... it seems arbitrary that I can't wait in a position.

Excited to play more! :D

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »

That could work. You might also think about giving characters dexterity and agility stats that determine hit/dodge rates. Would make things tactically more interesting by giving a third defensive stat to consider, and would work thematically as well (Hulgan has physical defense, Tereshan has magic defense, and Nadia has agility).

Especially the thematical argument resonates a lot with me. The reason why I didn't add agility and accuracy in the first place is because I personally hate it when attacks (especially those that are meant to inflict status ailments) frequently miss. I still don't feel like giving widely varying hit rates for different moves. But having an avoid stat is something that does appeal to me. I am thinking about adding a few attacks that state that they have half the hit rate or double the hit rate, or ignore avoid, but those would be exceptions. A weapon that may critical was already planned.

I couldn't claim the Earth Flute, backtracked, and couldn't get anywhere else.
It's a bit unintuitive, but after that message you have to bump into the flute again and the boss battle starts. the boss that pops up then should be beatable even if you didn't get many items.

I was almost disappointed that the intro didn't start with the mystery of Nadia and her importance!
I think the title screen will be even more evocative after the game has been beaten. When I first decided what the title screen would be and how it would tie into the story (especially the ending) I got goosebumps all over, I hope that's a good sign.

But there is actually a scene missing in between the title screen and Hogan's scene that involves Nadia. It doesn't reveal her importance (that is saved for later) but it will show more of her background. It takes place 12 years before the start of the game.

* At first I didn't understand why I had to use keyboard AND mouse instead of just keyboard, until I got into combat... I imagine this would be really ideal with a gamepad/Xbox controller?

I suspect touchscreens will be the ideal control method. I'm not quite sure how I would make game controllers work, it requires extra button presses and you may not be quite fast enough (though I can easily slow combat down). Perhaps I'm totally wrong on this, I have to try it out. I do hope I will be able to make it work on Ouya as well.

* I really want the ability to 'skip turns' when avoiding enemies... it seems arbitrary that I can't wait in a position.
I'm not sure I get what you mean. Are you talking about resetting the skill charge bar?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:44:36 PM by JaJ » Logged

shelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2013, 10:22:25 AM »

I'd like to try it out, but the newest version isn't up.
Could you upload it againn?

thanks. Be sure I'll post my comment =)

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2013, 12:02:45 PM »

I like this A LOT, keep it up!
Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »

These graphics looks great! I trust you when you say the story will be more.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2013, 01:29:04 PM »

My site seems to be down at the moment. I've uploaded the demo elsewhere.
Download

siskavard
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »

Just a head's up, you got a mention on IndieStatik

http://indiestatik.com/2013/06/17/nadia-was-here/
tanyaxshort
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2013, 09:13:06 AM »

I suspect touchscreens will be the ideal control method. I'm not quite sure how I would make game controllers work, it requires extra button presses and you may not be quite fast enough (though I can easily slow combat down). Perhaps I'm totally wrong on this, I have to try it out. I do hope I will be able to make it work on Ouya as well.

I'm not sure I get what you mean. Are you talking about resetting the skill charge bar?

Aha yeah touch screens would be fantastic! I can really see it. Let me know if you want an iPad 3 user on TestFlight. :D

Re: skipping turns, I meant in the overworld map, when you're sneaking around like in the prison, I wanted to be able to just make time pass while I was standing still... which I realise makes the puzzle LOTS easier, but without some kind of rhythm-game element or something, it felt weird that I couldn't stand still to watch the guards move.

shelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2013, 11:25:05 AM »

i played it shortly, seems really nice!
great story!

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2013, 04:08:57 AM »

I've been on a break for the last two weeks. I've been to Italy and have written some more dialogues on the plane and while sitting on the balcony of our hotel looking over the gulf of Naples at sunset. Apparently that looked as awesome and relaxed as it felt because a couple in a room close to mine took pictures of me writing.

It has also been quite inspirational. I've seen huge Roman statues made of marble and granite, frescos, beautiful nature, caves...

But now I have to motivate myself to start working again. That mention on IndieStatik is a great motivator. It also gave me an idea.

I originally planned for the mage character to get the buff spells. He wouldn't be able to use any move while sustaining the buff, now I think I'm going to do buffs (and debuffs) completely differently.

I think I'm going to introduce some one-of items that can be used to set up an "aura" in a single lane, for example a shield that gives the entire lane a defense buff. This buff applies to allies as well as enemies in that lane. Such an aura can be set up and removed by the warrior, but does cost a move from him. I have to work on this idea a bit more, but that is the general idea.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2013, 09:20:55 AM »

I'm working on a couple of areas now because my mind wants to.

This is a second attempt on the time temple. I made the walls a lot smaller to make the two goddess statues appear a lot bigger. I think it's a huge improvement.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:47:03 AM by JaJ » Logged

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2013, 01:51:48 AM »

Finished the puzzles of two areas and I'm now working on some cutscenes.

I'm also looking into Indiegogo and other kickstarter sites (do not live in USA or UK)because
I'll soon be without a job and I want to see if I can work exclusively on this for a while.

I've been working on some promotional art. I'm not too sure what do you think of this rough version of Nadia?

siskavard
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »

It looks amazing, I just think you should lose the outlines in her pupils as its not really fitting with rest of the piece.
Once again, fantastic colors!!
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2013, 05:54:03 AM »

Thanks, thanks!
I've posted a new demo. No new areas, but I did add the suggested avoid and accuracy stats, and fixed a lot of smaller things, like for example text wrapping in text boxes, new tutorial screens, tiny bugs in the battle system... I can't even remember it all.

I also have a new trailer!

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2013, 01:20:24 PM »

This is shaping up great!

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2013, 11:28:05 AM »

Thanks! And thank you for mentioning Nadia was here on your blog as well!

I have created a facebook page for Nadia was here. I plan to update regularly with screenshots, polls and videos, so please like the page if you're interested!

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2013, 02:32:37 AM »

These are screenshots of the new area I'm working on. The arena. Here you will be able to fight enemies you've defeated before (randomly) giving you a second chance to get items and spells you've missed. It's also a way to earn money.

It's really the only place in the game where you will be able to 'grind.'

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic