Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:13:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNadia was here, retro RPG [Just released]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: Nadia was here, retro RPG [Just released]  (Read 29829 times)
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2016, 11:33:49 AM »

It’s been a while since the last update. Visually, there just hasn’t been anything new to show. That doesn’t mean nothing is going on! I have been working hard on a beta version of Nadia Was Here, and last week beta keys were sent out to everyone who signed up! (Want to be a tester as well? Send a mail to [email protected].) At the moment, the first priority is to make a beta version for the mac, after that it’s fixing bugs and if I find any time in between I might start working on a second optional dungeon, at which point I might have new screenshots to show. Until then, know that I am working hard on the game!

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2017, 04:18:14 AM »

Wow, it's really hard to keep a dev blog going when you are spending months working on "the boring stuff." (In this case, fixing bugs.) Looking back there is actually plenty to show, so here comes one big update!

In September I started the first round of beta testing. There were a couple of really active testers, but the rest of the test group let me down a bit, resulting in not as much information as I had hoped. Because of this lack of feedback, I let the testing period run for way longer than I should have.

In the meantime, I kept playing through the game myself and kept making huge to do lists of my own. Resulting in the addition of a new dungeon (The haunted house I showed earlier) and two new small villages. Here is the northern part of one of them:

It looks a bit empty, but that has to do with the story. By adding this village, I could add a plot point to the story that wasn't there before. It was one of those things that was canon in my mind but not actually shown to the player. Well, now it is!

The same goes for the optional dungeon. It provides a lot of backstory on one of the characters in the game that went completely untold before. I also pixeled a couple of dogs that have something to do with that:

Other than that, I made some (in my opinion) huge improvements to the "feel" of the game by adding a bunch of sounds and visual effects, and redesigned some dungeons and puzzles a bit to make them more fun and less of a chore. (Less backtracking, faster animatons, etc.)

I felt there was too little variety in battle themes, so I remade a lot of old Ludum Dare songs to fit in the game as battle themes. Here is one of them:
https://soundcloud.com/joep-aben/burning-rage

And I think that's in big lines the fun stuff I've been doing the last couple of months. The rest was a whole lot of bug fixes and little alterations. Of course, there are some good moments there as well. Like when I found out I forgot to put a wall somewhere and was able to get to one of the swimmers in the middle of the swimming pool. He had something really random, and frankly very sad to say. Something I typed in about 4 years ago and totally forgot about:

That one had me rolling on the floor. What was I thinking putting that there as a placeholder text.

Anyway, those, and many more changes have been made, and I'm set for another round of testing. This time the testing period will be limited to just a month. If you would like to help me out with testing, let me know and I will get you a steam key!

Oh yeah, and for some more big news: I'm aiming for a release in the second quarter of 2017, and we seem to be on schedule so far. I'm so excited!

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2017, 08:58:33 AM »

These are great!

Haha, that portrait really sells the line.

The battle mechanic looks interesting, the timing thing seems like it would make you more engaged and active during combat. Grinding is really something that puts me off RPGs nowadays too.

Oh yeah, and for some more big news: I'm aiming for a release in the second quarter of 2017, and we seem to be on schedule so far. I'm so excited!

Good luck! Sad about the kickstarter but it's nice that it led to some exposure. I'm preparing for my own at the moment and building a community really is a lot harder than one might think.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2017, 03:01:40 AM »

The steam page is now live! We will release the end of May.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/436070/Nadia_Was_Here/

We also released a new teaser trailer:

It feels weird to finally be so close to release.

Good luck! Sad about the kickstarter but it's nice that it led to some exposure. I'm preparing for my own at the moment and building a community really is a lot harder than one might think.
It is. It is hard to figure out where to even start. When do you go live?

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2017, 03:28:35 AM »

Love the colors in this game! I look forward to playing it

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2017, 03:35:59 AM »

Love the colors in this game! I look forward to playing it

Thanks! I can't wait for you to play it Smiley

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »

I started a thunderclap campaign, it would be amazing if you could support it and share so more people will find out about the game!
https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/57134-rpg-nadia-was-here-is-out-now?locale=en

(random gif)

Also, I have a challenge going where you can pixel a plant using the nadia was here color palette. Top 40 will be hidden in the game somewhere as a collectible:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/436070/announcements/detail/1309829698596652134

Thanks for helping out!

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2017, 01:03:37 PM »

Little more than a week before Nadia Was Here releases. I did a little throwback thursday on one of the areas in the game and I wanted to share it here as well:

I really appreciate all the feedback I have gotten here, so a big thanks to all of you for that!

Also, my thunderclap needs 59 more supporters, it doesn't matter how big your reach is, any supporter would be greatly appreciated! https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/57134-rpg-nadia-was-here-is-out-now?locale=en

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »

Already signed up for the thunderclap a few days ago! Really happy that this game is going to be released!
I found it via a pixel art tileset making video! haha It helped me start my own tilesets! :D

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »

That's great to hear! I'm glad that video was of use. I don't consider myself the best pixel artist but I have figured out how to make tilesets efficiently by now Smiley

And thank you for supporting the thunderclap Smiley

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2017, 03:20:17 AM »

Hey everyone!

Nadia Was Here is out!!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/436070/Nadia_Was_Here/

It has been hard sometimes, sometimes really hard. But now there is a game here that wasn't there before. A 10+ hour RPG no less, and I made it. I don't feel proud yet, I don't feel happy or sad yet, it's all a bit hard to process.

Anyway it is out, and now I'd like nothing more than for people to play it, so if you can, please help me spread the word! I would really appreciate it Smiley

My twitter is filled with posts to retweet: https://twitter.com/JajabenGames

Thanks again for following Nadia Was Here! It really helped me to keep going!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic