Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:29:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNadia was here, retro RPG [Just released]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Nadia was here, retro RPG [Just released]  (Read 29602 times)
impulse9
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »

Absolutely stunning. I adore your pixels.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Ninja Hand Thumbs Up Right
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »

Thanks!

I've continued working on the boss. It plays the way I want it to but the balancing is still pretty rough. I have to know exactly what items and skills you can have by the time you face him to do that so that will have to wait for now (as some of those items arn't even scripted yet). I think tomorrow I'm going to pixel some basic enemies. I'm steadily working towards something more concrete to show you. Hopefully within the foreseeable future I'll have a video that demonstrates the battle system.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »

looks awesome!

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2012, 03:53:18 AM »

I entered Ludum Dare last weekend and have since been rating, fixing and sleeping, but now I'm back to work on this.

I have been working on enemies as promised:
(don't really know how to slow them down)

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 01:11:25 AM »

I hope you all had a merry christmas!

I have been experimenting with music a bit.
I found this instrument. I'ts a choir made up out of over a thousand voices, something which resonates with the theme of the story* rather well to me. So now I seem to want to incorporate those voices into every single track of the game.

Here is my first experiment:
The original
With voices (and other added instruments to make it sound better)    

Second experiment, here I just added a single (new) melody
The original
With voices

* I don't think I actually told you the theme yet. It's about the importance of a single person in a world that will probably eventually forget you. Does the title make more sense now?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:59:05 AM by JaJ » Logged

rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09:34 AM »

Hey!

I am very fond of your colour palette, the colours go so well with eachother. Looks really nice!
Would love to see that battle system video.
How will you encounter enemies? Something similar to Chrono Trigger, where you see the characters on the screen?
Looks great, keep it up!

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »

Hey!

I am very fond of your colour palette, the colours go so well with eachother. Looks really nice!
Would love to see that battle system video.
How will you encounter enemies? Something similar to Chrono Trigger, where you see the characters on the screen?
Looks great, keep it up!

Thanks! There are two ways to encounter enemies. In dungeon-like areas the enemies will be shown on the screen. These are single battles that are usually harder, optional and for a reward (in adittion to being able to learn the skills these monsters have).
Other enemies are encountered in a series of battles. You get these series when you travel from one place to another for the first time. You basically "unlock" the location this way.

A third way to encounter enemies is to go to the colloseum where you battle previously encountered enemies. The main reason to do this is to learn skill and steal items that you have missed before.

Still working on the battles I want to make a video of. Should be done by the end of next week at the latest. (Aiming for before the year ends, we'll see)

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 06:27:57 AM »

Happy new year! The only resolution I've set for myself is to finish this game somewhere this year, but since I got sidetracked again and composed a village song I really didn't need (yet) instead of working on that battle system video, perhaps I should have come up with a couple more.

Anyway, here is the village theme. It's short but pretty catchy (it also works really well when slowed down):

Welcome to our lovely town!

In other news, listening to the mother soundtrack makes me want to redo all the music again
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:40:24 AM by JaJ » Logged

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »

I made a video of the battle system as promised. Not everything is working properly yet, and things like battle speed and wait or active mode can be set by the player, but I think this should give you an impression for now:

Also composed a new song for a desert village:
https://soundcloud.com/joep-aben/where-nothing-grows

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »

Very cool stuff.

rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 11:33:10 PM »

Nice!
Cool to have that parallaxing background! Almost felt like the party was chasing the enemies, haha. I was just waiting for a big enemy to suddenly appear from the left and scare the party, so that the tables turn and now the enemies are chasing the party.

I wonder if some element of suprise like that would be interesting to implement? might make traditional rpg battles a little bit more dynamic, especially if there was and element of randomness to it.
Cool stuff man, definitely spawned some ideas of my own Smiley
Keep up the good work!

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 11:48:21 PM »

Amazing art, looks like it's shaping up!
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2013, 06:03:10 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Nice!
Cool to have that parallaxing background! Almost felt like the party was chasing the enemies, haha. I was just waiting for a big enemy to suddenly appear from the left and scare the party, so that the tables turn and now the enemies are chasing the party.

I wonder if some element of suprise like that would be interesting to implement? might make traditional rpg battles a little bit more dynamic, especially if there was and element of randomness to it.
Cool stuff man, definitely spawned some ideas of my own Smiley
Keep up the good work!

Yes! The original idea (when I was still thinking of this more as a highscore-type minigame instead of a full adventure) was to have every battle be either the party chasing an enemy, or the enemy chasing a party.

In the battle sequences in between locations I talked about before, this is still the case. Instead of walking from one place to another, interrupted by battles, you battle a sequence of battles while traveling. I did plan on playing with this idea as much as possible, and having sudden boss battles that change the animation from chasing to being chased should definately be a part of that.

I hadn't even thought about making these events random yet. Since no single battle in the game should be the same anyway, this may not add much. I'll keep it in mind though! Perhaps I'll use this in some parts of the game, but probably not everywhere.

The bar to the right of the party and the left of the enemy party represent the speed of that party. This 'party speed' gives stat bonusses to your party. Speed is kept high by keeping your characters healthy. I think this mechanic works really well, it makes easy battles go faster, and it makes harder battles more dynamic, but I still have some problems making it work thematically outside of the travel bits.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2013, 09:29:01 AM »

Took a break from this in january, but I'm back to work on this. Right now I'm working on the puzzles in the forest area. They involve this little creature:

I've also composed another song today. It's not for a speciffic area, but I'm sure I'll find a use for it.
Listen here

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »

A puzzle room example.
The creature can be called with a flute, but only reacts when the sound comes exactly from the left, right, top or bottom. When it is called it runs until it is stopped by something. The puzzle mainly revolves around finding the right order of spots to call it from.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »

Here's a little progress video. It shows the new title screen and some puzzle ideas for the forest. Next I'm going to make the actual design for the forest.

dweedes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2013, 02:52:54 PM »

hey this looks cool so far, I really like the colours and the consistency of the style...
you probably wrote this somewhere in the thread... but when do you expect to finish this game?

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 04:18:57 PM »

I'm really digging the monsters!

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2013, 07:23:34 AM »

I'm really digging the monsters!
Thank you!

hey this looks cool so far, I really like the colours and the consistency of the style...
you probably wrote this somewhere in the thread... but when do you expect to finish this game?

This is the biggest game I've worked on (alone) so far, so it is really hard for me to estimate when it will be done. I've made a schedule last week that has this game finished early october, but I already seem to be running about one day behind. That schedule has me finishing the first public demo in april. I'll keep you up to date if I'll be able to make that deadline.

dweedes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2013, 03:17:56 AM »

Understandable- it takes a long time working alone!!
I want to play the demo when it's ready !

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic