Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:04:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNadia was here, retro RPG [Just released]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Nadia was here, retro RPG [Just released]  (Read 29618 times)
siskavard
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »

Whatever you're doing, keep doing it, don't worry about rules.

Again, the game has a great tone that is super appealing. To me, anyways  Tongue

Hopefully to other people too.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2013, 11:45:32 AM »

Ooh, this looks rather promising! Is this just for Windows? When are you aiming for as far as a release date?

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2013, 12:28:38 PM »

The demo is just for windows for now, I will try to port the full game to as many platforms as possible, as long as it feels right. Android and iOS seem obvious. Mac and Linux should be possible as well.

Right now I'm aiming for early 2014. 

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »

Sounds good!

One last question: is JaJ your developer name? Like, if I were to write a blurb about this game, would you want me to say that this is a game in development "by JaJ"? Or is there another name you want to use? (You can PM it to me if you want.)

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2013, 02:54:59 AM »

JaJ has been my nickname since forever, but I use my real name to credit myself. Which is Joep Aben. I actually don't know which I'm more known as.

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2013, 07:56:32 PM »

Just played the demo!

Sound and music are great.

The combat system's interesting. I feel as though giving the characters an extra defensive option of some sort would be good though - right now all you can do to avoid damage is put a party member in an empty lane if there is one. Also, it'd be a good idea to make sure that the speed bars of everyone in the fight moves at different rates, and maybe even pause combat for each action taken by a party member on enemy, just so that the player knows what's going on. ie If everybody hits each other at once, the player won't be able to process how much each character damaged the other.

Also, it might be a good idea to display health as a bar too. Faster to process than numbers.

The guards in the prison look a little weird - it's honestly a little hard interpreting their sprite. I'd draw them walking in all four directions for starters. Also, making them move only has the character moves works really well as a game play mechanic, but felt pretty weird otherwise. Maybe if you gave some visual cue that time is frozen when the character is still, it would make more sense.

Unfortunately, I got an error message and the game crashed during the first round of fights after the mage joined the party. I clicked on him while he was in the top lane, and got a fatal error. I forgot to copy the error message for you, sorry. If you can't replicate it, I can try to.

Also, when buying potions, examining them in the menu, and the like, it might be a good idea to label them with the name of the item. While using pictures alone as shortcuts is fine later in the game, since each item is referred to as a word and a name but the picture and the name are rarely given together, I can see people getting confused.

There's also some typos. Early on, "menus" is misspelled as "menu's," and in the inn one of the old men asked to talk to the party's "tief."

Other than that, it's a great start to a story. Wish it didn't crash so I could continue through it. Nice work so far.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2013, 01:35:16 AM »

Thank you for the feedback!

The combat system's interesting. I feel as though giving the characters an extra defensive option of some sort would be good though - right now all you can do to avoid damage is put a party member in an empty lane if there is one.

The idea was that each character has an extreme weakness. (Tereshan -> physical attacks, Hogan -> magic attacks with Nadia being perfectly balanced) This way you have to figure out for each battle what the best way is to avoid damage. I can add a defense option, but I think there should be a penalty, or this element of strategy will be completely lost.
Of course there will be buffs and more efficient healing spells later in the game.

Also, it'd be a good idea to make sure that the speed bars of everyone in the fight moves at different rates, and maybe even pause combat for each action taken by a party member on enemy, just so that the player knows what's going on. ie If everybody hits each other at once, the player won't be able to process how much each character damaged the other.

I can't completely avoid things happening at the same time from ever happening, but pausing for a second every action could work. Not going to be easy but I'll see what I can do.

Also, it might be a good idea to display health as a bar too. Faster to process than numbers.
I will if I can do it in a way that doesn't clutter the screen.

I'd draw them walking in all four directions for starters.
It's things like these that I probably won't do until the very end. Since it's not that essential and takes a lot of time. In the end I'd rather have a game with enemy sprites that point in one direction than an unfinished one. I have to keep a sense of progress or it'll be hard to stay motivated for a project that takes this long.

Unfortunately, I got an error message and the game crashed during the first round of fights after the mage joined the party. I clicked on him while he was in the top lane, and got a fatal error. I forgot to copy the error message for you, sorry. If you can't replicate it, I can try to.
I'll try to replicate. It's not going to be easy since I've already played that part over and over and over before and nothing popped up then.

Also, when buying potions, examining them in the menu, and the like, it might be a good idea to label them with the name of the item. While using pictures alone as shortcuts is fine later in the game, since each item is referred to as a word and a name but the picture and the name are rarely given together, I can see people getting confused.
I'll see if I can stuff the names in there somewhere, there is so little room for everything, haha. Otherwise mouse-overs would work for the pc and mac versions, but not so much for touchscreens obviously.

Other than that, it's a great start to a story. Wish it didn't crash so I could continue through it. Nice work so far.
It crashed just before what I consider the good part too! The game autosaves though, if you load the game you should end up on the worldmap just before that battle sequence!

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2013, 04:52:54 AM »

Working on a very important location in the game. The poor desert village Nadia grew up in.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2013, 05:50:34 AM »

Testing on iPad! I have to say this will probably be the best way to play the game when it's done.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2013, 10:31:02 AM »

I updated the demo! (download)

Changes:
*Time stops after each attack. Attacks can't happen at the same time anymore.
*Characters have a health bar now
*Items can now actually be used on enemies. (This was supposed to work before, but apparently I deleted some code somewhere)
*Names of items, equipment, weapons and spells are displayed when selected.
*New font. Tell me what you think. I'm not 100% sure yet. But at least this one takes less space.
*Typos

siskavard
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2013, 09:32:52 PM »

Hey there, just giving this new demo a playthrough.

The new font is a lot better!

I don't know how to do the blacking-out spoiler text, so if you don't want spoilers stop reading here!

One thing I didn't mention last time was for me it's a bit odd that the game starts with a you chasing a thief, the music is really fast and frantic, but once you step out the door, the fast music switches to pleasant 'town' music and that feeling of the chase sort of goes away inexplicably. It feels like something really interesting starts winding up and then doesn't go anywhere. I might suggest having the player character say something to acknowledge that he's not chasing him "Which way did he go? I better ask around" something like that?

Please excuse me for suggesting story stuff like that, but I really like the game so far & I just want to be helpful :}

I'm getting a weird bug where during the battle if I click and hold on the enemy the menu flickers.

Great progress! Again, the music is great as well as your color choices. Keep it up!
devi ever
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2013, 10:12:23 PM »

Love love LOVE the color palette!  My Word! Hand Thumbs Up Right
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2013, 01:01:17 AM »

Possible spoilers below
One thing I didn't mention last time was for me it's a bit odd that the game starts with a you chasing a thief, the music is really fast and frantic, but once you step out the door, the fast music switches to pleasant 'town' music and that feeling of the chase sort of goes away inexplicably. It feels like something really interesting starts winding up and then doesn't go anywhere. I might suggest having the player character say something to acknowledge that he's not chasing him "Which way did he go? I better ask around" something like that?

Please excuse me for suggesting story stuff like that, but I really like the game so far & I just want to be helpful :}

Suggesting story stuff is not a problem. Of course the story is pretty much finished so suggesting plotlines, -twists and things like that are likely to get ignored since I'm confident the story is pretty solid (even though I do fear the ball gets rolling a bit slowly). But pointing out plotholes and sudden weak moments in the story is very much appreciated!

I can have Hogan say "Where did that piece of scum go?" I wonder though if it might be better to keep playing the hectic music until the battle and have Hogan see the thief fleeing in the village as well? And perhaps have him say "Where did that piece of scum go, better ask around" in the screen after that along with the 'talking to people' tutorial?

End of spoilers

I'm getting a weird bug where during the battle if I click and hold on the enemy the menu flickers.
How did I not notice that. While testing I must have been incredibly fast. I have a pretty good idea what's causing it. Going to fix it right now.

Love love LOVE the color palette!  My Word! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:09:39 AM by JaJ » Logged

shelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2013, 04:26:14 AM »

This looks awesome. I dont have much time today but ill look into it later!

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »

I recently realised it's probably about time to start thinking about marketing and promotion. I've been making time for it over and over again, but I keep doing other stuff because I suck at self promotion.

So today I worked on promotion/ marketing two songs I didn't need yet!

One of them worked out great, the other I don't like very much.
Song1
Song2

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »

Working on the tiles of Chronos Sanctum. Thinking of doing puzzles involving sun dials, but I'm not sure how yet, since I want this place to feel big and open.

First song was for this area too.

Also: A bug has been found involving the reset tiles in the forest, so avoid them and press R instead.
The reset tiles in the library work fine.
I'm going to fix that ASAP.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »

are you going to make the windows and doors also in top down perspective?  they sit flat on the same level as the floor, while the corners are coming out towards the player, so there's some confusion going on.
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »

Yeah I know, I'd hoped I would be able to get away with it  Embarrassed

EDIT: Is this better, or should it be even more extreme?

I find it hard to put the two goddesses in the right perspective without ruining them.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:53:16 AM by JaJ » Logged

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2013, 08:08:12 AM »

Working on a farming village. Also got a song done for this. Not the best I've ever made, but the mood fits I think: Old farm

siskavard
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »

Looking really great, nice progress.
Love the song.

The perspective on the goddess room is a bit odd. I think it's mostly because you have the pillars on the corners in perspective, but nothing else is really following the perspective, maybe besides the bricks.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic