Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:43:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDesperation, Alienvasion, The Wasteland, Radian, &c.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Desperation, Alienvasion, The Wasteland, Radian, &c.  (Read 2366 times)
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »

Hi. Some of you might know me, most of you probably don't. I've been making games since 2006 using Game Maker. I haven't made anything recently, but I'm curious to know what people outside of GM-specific communities think of what I have done. I don't think these are great games by any stretch of the imagination, but some people have enjoyed them.

WARNING: all of these games change resolution; I know that bothers some people.

Desperation
The first game I made. It is sort of an art game, I guess. I kind of like it, but the programming is not too good. It recieved a pretty good review from Game Maker Games.

http://divinelyuninspired.110mb.com/desperation.html

Alienvasion
This is my second game. It's more of an arcade game. I like some things about it, and I still think it's a pretty good idea, though I could have done it better. It was featured on Indygamer, long ago.

http://divinelyuninspired.110mb.com/alienvade.html

The Wasteland
This is an exploration platformer; it is my largest completed game, but that isn't saying much. I still think there are some pretty environments and neat puzzles, though there are things I would do differently.

http://divinelyuninspired.110mb.com/wasteland.html

Radian
I think this is the best game I have made by a significant margin. The gameplay is pretty original, and I think it's fun. Cactus, Indygamer (who featured it), and Game Maker Games (who gave it a good review and spotlighted it) agree.

http://divinelyuninspired.110mb.com/radian.html

I have also made some games/fragments of games that are not really very good in my opinion but that you may, hypothetically, derive some small enjoyment from.

Crossfire - a scrolling shooter for 2 players; incomplete.
Dogfighter - another scrolling shooter. It's a pretty good idea, but pretty badly executed.
Noctus - another art game of sorts. I kind of like it.
Colony - just a fragment of a Metroidvania sort of game that didn't get far.
Nevada Thompson and the Temple of Scorpions - an obvious Indiana Jones spoof. Very pixelly. Made in four hours for a Poppenkast 4-hour competition. I think it is a good start, but not a good game.

I also got quite a ways into a full-length Metroidvania game called Mekanos that for various reasons will probably never be finished. There's a demo, though.

http://divinelyuninspired.110mb.com/mk.html

That's what I got. Sorry for the lengthiness.

medieval
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 05:20:32 AM »

Oh, you created the Wasteland! awesome. I thought I recognized you from the GMC.
Which I'm glad I left, anyway.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »

Thanks, glad you liked it. Yeah, not big on the GMC myself.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »

I just tried Radian. I found it a bit hard to keep track of what was going on, but it's fun and I love the style. I find it really evocative. Somehow it takes me back to evenings in the family home in London in the 80s, on bonfire night, hearing the fireworks far away.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 10:09:08 PM »

Radian's great!  I really like the shield mechanic and the overall presentation.  My only gripe would be the lack of music (it doesn't come on later, does it?).  Even something super minimal would be fine, but I just feel like there should be something.

Anyway, I'll have to try a couple of the others when I get the time.

And don't feel bad about resolution changes, I've had to play around with them in my games (also made with GM) too.

Oh, and I can't say I like the GMC either.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:46:13 AM »

Your games are fun. I didn't know that you made wasteland! I agree Radian's great.

I don't like the GMC as well.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 08:58:05 AM »

Mekanos is interesting, though you should be careful with repetition. Killing the same few enemies a few dozen times in the first 30 minutes can get a bit boring.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 02:25:12 PM »

@Melly - thanks. Yeah, I know that was sort of a problem with that game... it had a lot of problems, actually, which is why I doubt I'll ever finish it. The biggest problem is I didn't really plan it out beforehand, which I should have done, and thus it got to be more and more of an unmanageable mess. I don't think I'm cut out for projects that big.

@Andy - thanks. Fun is what I aim for.

@architekt - yeah, it's been criticized for lack of music before. It was a conscious aesthetic choice, at the time. And I still kind of like it without music, just with a little bit of ambient noise and some minimalistic sound effects that sound like speaker glitches... it reinforces the feeling I was trying to create, of like, some flickery old console you find in a basement somewhere.

Pishtaco - thanks. That means a lot to me; I'm glad that a simple piece of work like this could evoke something like that.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic