Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:11:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallClairvoyance - A board game about robots, lasers and the future
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Clairvoyance - A board game about robots, lasers and the future  (Read 3595 times)
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:08:14 AM »

Clairvoyance is a small gem of a game in development by Erik Svedäng and his team. After more than one year, the game finally just entered public beta stage, as they hope to attract people to test the server before final release.

The term Clairvoyance means "clear vision" in French, and that's what the game is all about: an asynchronous, online multiplayer board game set on a stage of 7x7 tiles, where 4 robots per side fight in a battle to the last one standing. The game is played in turns, as each player has 5 moves to make in his turn before committing it. When he does so, his moves and the ones from the opponent are played together alternately, and both can see the results.

Planning moves

That's why the team describes the game as 'a board game [...] about the future': you have to try and anticipate the moves that the other player will make, and act accordingly to prevent him from achieving his goals. Then, when the turn is committed and moves are played, you will see if you have succeeded.

A laser beam

Three grenades go off at once

You can take a look at its trailer (which features comics by Niklas Åkerblad, who's working on the game art and music) to understand the turns mechanic a bit better:

The game has several different boards, each one with its own perks and strategy.

Obviously, the game's biggest issue could be if you don't find people online to play with, or if your opponent forgets about the match and never plays his turn, thus blocking you from finishing the match (though he will lose it after a period of inactivity).
Luckily, Erik incorporated some clever features in the game to keep players engaged. The robots' faces can be customized via a simple in-game pixel editor, and the robots themselves can speak a short sentence whenever they make a move. This gives the possibility to add narration to the matches, as the robots speak dramatic quotes, which sometimes turn to be funny when the character fails to perform the action he wanted to make.

Singing robot

Also, the game's website has an activity log which lists recent matches, and players can comment on each one creating small threads with their comments on the match, strategy advice, and the like. I never resist to give some feedback, or tease the other player.

You can find Clairvoyance for PC and Mac on its own website for the mere amount of $5. The price will be a bit higher as beta purchases will be converted in the final version when the game is released, so grab it as soon as you can.

I won!

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:17:55 AM »

Interesting concept, although I don't know if thinking 5 moves ahead will result in anything but randomness when the players get completely out of sync with their reactions. Maybe 2-3 moves ahead would be better.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:45:32 PM »

This game is just awesome. It works out perfectly. I really haven't played a competitive board game as easy to learn and fine-tuned since Chess.

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »

Interesting concept, although I don't know if thinking 5 moves ahead will result in anything but randomness when the players get completely out of sync with their reactions. Maybe 2-3 moves ahead would be better.

I can tell you 5 moves is quite balanced. Moreover, you would usually spend them for more than one robot, trying to cover 'two fronts' at once.
Like: robot A moves forward, steps aside, throws a grenade 2 spaces afar, robot B climbs, and throws a grenade 3 spaces afar)

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 07:06:50 PM »

Bought it and it seems really cool... I just have no idea how to go about things. I guess I don't understand basic strategy. A forum or a way to share replays would really sell this game. I definitely think this could be SpyParty-level brilliant with a large community.

billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 12:43:12 AM »

Hope the player base takes off. Play by email is great but sometimes I need that quick game fix. Have half a dozen games idling already. Haven't checked in my Spy Party beta invite yet so I can't comment on that comparison. More like Frozen Synapse?

Five moves seems to work well, gives all your bots (assuming they're not destroyed or disabled) a chance to take action. More importantly, probably helps to keep games finishing in stalemates.
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 05:48:58 AM »

Hope the player base takes off. Play by email is great but sometimes I need that quick game fix. Have half a dozen games idling already. Haven't checked in my Spy Party beta invite yet so I can't comment on that comparison. More like Frozen Synapse?

Yeah it's a lot like Frozen Synapse. I'd say FS was even more unpredictable (due to its free-movement mechanics), but both games are quite balanced in the end, thus fun.

So, who's playing?? I'm ccontinisio in the game, feel free to look for my user and challenge me.

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »

A new cool feature has been added to the game (or rather, to the site), and it's called Clairvoyance TV.
In short, you can watch other people's games after they ended, by clicking a link on the game's card in the Activity Log.

This link opens a page with the Unity web plugin, where you can play entire matches move by move even if you don't own the game.
For instance, this is the match where I got a draw against the guy who made the game (great result for me!): http://www.gameofclairvoyance.com/tv/816

The nice thing is that the replay is interactive (since it's not a video, but the game itself)!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic