Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:54:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOperation Fallin Angle
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Operation Fallin Angle  (Read 19062 times)
Xenophobe
Level 0

wat fk

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »

i know a little bit about C++ JAVA HTML PEARL so on.)

PEARL

:D
Xenophobe
Level 0

wat fk

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2008, 04:27:31 PM »

I think we owe it to this guy to make his game. Or at least... demake it!

Yes!

I am going to cry if you don't.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2008, 04:29:27 PM »

I'm with deadeye on this one

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2008, 04:30:33 PM »

Any dream that can be crushed so easily is pretty worthless anyway.  Gentleman

To elaborate a little, anyone who isn't prepared to face a hundred times this much discouragement probably isn't going to be making any games anyway.

Seth
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2008, 05:18:40 PM »

To elaborate a little, anyone who isn't prepared to face a hundred times this much discouragement probably isn't going to be making any games anyway.

I guess that gives us all the right to be dicks to anyone and everyone making a game, because, well, it's not going to be as bad as what they're going to have to face.

Either way, if you accept and respect this kind of behavior, then this board really will go to shit.  Do you really want to see a forum full of posts like this that are treated seriously?

What, like all that's keeping them from posting on the forums is our display of assholery?  Is that what keeps them away?  I don't think so.  The truth is a influx of posters like this has hardly been a bug problem at ALL around here, so that's no justification.  If you really object to posters like this, you should do one of two things: tell him to be more realistic and thoughtful about his posts, or just ignore it and let someone else tell him.  If it stays short and simple, the post will quietly drop off the front page.  I guarantee you'll see less of these types of posts if we don't have 20 users keeping the thread alive just to mock him.

Somebody needs to take Gentleman away from here.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2008, 05:37:38 PM »

I guess that gives us all the right to be dicks to anyone and everyone making a game, because, well, it's not going to be as bad as what they're going to have to face.
Everyone has the right to be a dick. I certainly hope you wouldn't suggest otherwise.
As to whether it's okay: Of course not. It's being a dick. You shouldn't even have to ask. However, in the greater realm of dickishness, I would consider what just transpired a pretty minor transgression.

On the other hand, from my personal standpoint I got a lot more enjoyment from the dickishness than I believe I ever would have from Operation Fallin Angle, so I think it's an overall net gain for the world of entertainment.

Personally I tend to just leave people like that alone. The harsh world will teach them her lessons soon enough. I can wait until then for the lulz.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2008, 05:46:54 PM »

Somebody needs to take Gentleman away from here.

Sad

It is true, though. I agree with Seth, Chutup and Valter.

Such enthusiasm. I know they seem to think in cliches, but we could guide these people. Help them regardless. Perhaps politely tell them that they can't just be the ideas guy. They need to be able to work on things like this themselves, and get help once the game/art is rolling. Encourage them to work on simple things whilst growing the Big Idea inside their mind. Surely we all ave some kind of dream game ticking away up there, waiting for enough experience and... the stars to align?

There was... hmm, someone seriously suggesting a MMO/FPS/RTS/RPG/(something else) on here a while ago. He had currently worked on... a Neverwinter Nights mod? With a friend? Anyway, the ambition was ridiculous, but he wasn't totally shot down. He was slowly deflated, but into a more reasonable state. Wonder what he's doing now?

Though I was thinking Gameguysz was just a regular in disguise myself, I admit. If I didn't, I probably would've tried to jump in with a re-rail.

I don't like real, naive newbies falling to their termination for "The Lulz". It's probably going to happen to me, as well. May as well try and soften the blow for others. Mm?

EDIT: Great, now I'm being a moralising dick. I'm sticking with it, though.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2008, 06:00:30 PM »

That would be admirable. But I don't think that it is, conversely, contemptible to make fun of them. I do think it's assigning yourself a little bit too much significance to believe that being a dick or not is going to make any difference at all in terms of whether he'll achieve his goals if he really takes it seriously. Personally, I think that if he did he'd probably have done a little research.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »

Most people who come here are a bit too ambitious, yes. However, if you take offense at that, try explaining it to them, instead of just being a huge dickweed.

I don't take offense to people being ambitious, or even overly ambitious.  Like I said before, there are plenty of people who are serious about wanting to make games, but have no clue where to start, and that's totally cool.  Those are the guys who need such help.  There are plenty of such people who come to TIGS, and they get the advice they need.  It's pretty easy to distinguish them from folks like gamerguysz, who is just spouting out some attention deficit nonsense that he happens to think will be "the most awesome game ever."

But does that justify being a dickweed?  Well, I guess not.  I have no excuse, I was a dickweed.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2008, 07:26:49 PM »

this story is too obtuse
Hehe... puns...

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2008, 09:59:22 PM »

If you don't like J-Fizzle then you are part of the problem.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2008, 02:32:03 AM »

Yeah! Anyone who hates JForce sucks!

Wait, fuck, misinterpreting Haowan again.

I'm really just saying that there are other ways of convincing people that this site is not the right site. Honestly, I'm all for driving people away. When you let lots of "Idea men" onto a forum, you start to get exponentially larger amounts of "games as art" and "shmups vs. RPGs" threads. However, I just don't want TIGS to earn a reputation as a bunch of assholes.

The main thing that differs between us and other indie gaming sites is that we make games, and other sites play games. Less people here are "idea men", and more people are actual programmers. This is wonderful and all, but it's not a reason to turn our nose down at everyone who walks in. There are simpler ways of telling people that this isn't the site for them.

Like I said before, just give peace a chance.
Saker
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2008, 02:58:59 AM »

Yeah! Anyone who hates JForce sucks!

Wait, fuck, misinterpreting Haowan again.

I'm really just saying that there are other ways of convincing people that this site is not the right site. Honestly, I'm all for driving people away. When you let lots of "Idea men" onto a forum, you start to get exponentially larger amounts of "games as art" and "shmups vs. RPGs" threads. However, I just don't want TIGS to earn a reputation as a bunch of assholes.

The main thing that differs between us and other indie gaming sites is that we make games, and other sites play games. Less people here are "idea men", and more people are actual programmers. This is wonderful and all, but it's not a reason to turn our nose down at everyone who walks in. There are simpler ways of telling people that this isn't the site for them.

Like I said before, just give peace a chance.

we need both in this site , i think .. and driving people away will cause TIGS to earn a reputation as a bunch of assholes.
Corpus
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2008, 04:39:44 AM »

Everybody is willing to treat me with respect

I'm not.

dick Angry
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2008, 04:53:45 AM »

I don't know. After that stunt I'm having pretty severe problems sympathizing with the guy.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2008, 05:59:19 AM »

I can't pick which would be most appropriate:  Lips Sealed, WTF or Shocked

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2008, 06:16:40 AM »

I don't know. After that stunt I'm having pretty severe problems sympathizing with the guy.
Yeah, that's nasty. Ugh.

medieval
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2008, 06:37:59 AM »

Well. I don't think we did a lot wrong. Maybe we were a little harsh. But gameguysz didn't even want to put up with the few things that were constructive.
Corpus
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2008, 08:27:19 AM »

Uh, you mean the one thing that was constructive, and the cavalcade of things that weren't?
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »

tired and almost teenage
almost teenage

that was uncalled for.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic