Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:19:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe hardest game(s) ever?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The hardest game(s) ever?  (Read 6039 times)
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2007, 08:38:07 AM »

What do you find the hardest/most punishing games in the history of gaming.
For me it's maze of galious, it took my aunt 5 years to finish it(without any guides or knowledge in the japanese language... yeah I know, 5 years is a short time to beat MoG that way). La Mulana, also hard. Then theres clean asia, ah, clean asia, I love you. I feel like a god, since I just beat china, I am a god.
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 08:55:40 AM »

Tony Hawk's Project 8 is hard enough I stopped caring about the franchise.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 08:59:54 AM »

One of the hardest games out there in my opinion:
Battletoad in battle maniac for the SNES. Damn that game is hard.
Not hard because of a problem with the mechanics or controls, just because it's designed to be freakin' hard!

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 11:18:17 AM »

JetSet Willy (ZX Spectrum) - Was actually impossible to complete when released. First  guys to complete it, by coming up with cheat pokes, got some sort of grand prize.

Exile (BBC Micro) - Also had a prize for the first guy to complete it.

Blaster Master (NES), although I did get to the last level.

Trojan (NES).

Some say Fester's Quest was hard, and although I died almost immidiately, I completed it with my second life in just an hour or so.

...oops, pasta is boiling. I have to terminate my list early.
rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 11:22:52 AM »

ghouls and ghosts is up there for me. i don't think i ever beat it.

sometimes games that are hard tend to feel more like work than actually having fun!

cheers, rey-o
jaredbloom
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 11:38:04 AM »

Ninja Gaiden Black. Either I'm missing something or that game is the most frustrating thing I have ever played.
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 11:57:02 AM »

I always found the early megaman games really difficult, I have no idea what the newer ones are like. Never been a big fan of the franchise, although I do love the music!

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 12:14:47 PM »

Ghosts and Goblins (NES) - I think I got into the first 'last castle area' with the jumping skeletons. Really jerky physics and drawing routines in that game.

Megaman 1 (NES) - Was not that hard if you were obsessed enough. I completed it once or twice without using exploits anywhere. Iceman, the Clayman (Yellow devil), and mirror Megaman were tricky, but doable. Fireman always managed to take a good chunk of my HP too.

Castlevania 1 (NES) - I have a vague memory of actually getting to the last boss. Fixed jumps are such so nasty.

Turtles (NES) - I don't think I got much further than the steam roller city level. The second underwater level was terminally boring.

I think, actually, these games weren't really that hard, you just came into them with a certain mentality and approached problems at a different frequency. A single screen could be as difficult as an entire map from a modern shooter. A positive aspect (aside of all the negative ones) is that harder games tend to last longer. The trick is to make the difficulty gratifying in some way. Can we think of any games which had this feature?

Quake 1 is an example I can think of. It was my first solid FPS experience. When you're new to it, you aim and move seperately, and mostly just look down in the floor or something. When you're good, you axe two Shamblers in a small room with just one pillar to hide behind. That game really scaled with you... and Tribes did too... maybe it's a feature FPS games in general have.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 12:18:03 PM by Arne » Logged
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 01:29:34 PM »

The game of Life.
     PAUSE
     think
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 02:38:37 PM »

Ikaruga

Damn, this game is hard. Especially if like me you are a bit of a perfectionist. Then it becomes impossible. Even after you're given a slow motion mode to practice on. It's just really, really hard!

Nethack

I've never even come close to completing this, and neither has my friend who's completed ADOM. It's insanely difficult. I don't think I shall ever finish this game.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 02:40:11 PM by haowan » Logged

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 03:11:29 PM »

Contra: Shattered Soldier definitely deserves a place on this list.  It's a pure memorization-fest, but the last level and the final multi-sequence boss are insanely hard...

cup full of magic charisma
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 08:39:36 AM »

Shoot the Bullet, Gauntlet (NES), TMNT (NES), Persona 1

bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 08:58:12 AM »

Haowan, if you really want to finish NetHack, read the related column in GameSetWatch. It's not so much an FAQ as a surviver's guide for beginners.
Basically, for all games that incorporate randomness in their design, and then demand the application of that design for achieving a goal, you can spend a ridiculous amount of time acquiring little bits of knowledge on each playthrough. Consider reading an FAQ in these games kind of like going to college IRL, instead of learning your science on the street.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 10:13:04 AM »

oh oh i know Solomon's Key!

cup full of magic charisma
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 12:47:30 PM »

Haowan, if you really want to finish NetHack, read the related column in GameSetWatch. It's not so much an FAQ as a surviver's guide for beginners.
Basically, for all games that incorporate randomness in their design, and then demand the application of that design for achieving a goal, you can spend a ridiculous amount of time acquiring little bits of knowledge on each playthrough. Consider reading an FAQ in these games kind of like going to college IRL, instead of learning your science on the street.

Thanks dude :> I've made it to sokoban a few times, or down to the castle... just always get too curious and unleash a water demon or something heh

ZombiePixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 01:52:09 PM »

I was never able to finish Impossible Mission or Forbidden Forest on the C64.

I guess my reflexes haven't aged very well because all of the games I grew up on seem incredibly hard now.  I used to be able to beat Raid Over Moscow, now I can't even get my damned plane out of the hanger.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 03:09:18 PM »

Wait... won't somebody menction Rogue??? Take your pretty survival guide and your pack full of spoilers, and you will still be at mercy of the almighty RNG!

I love Rogue

Lately I am behaving like a rogue fanboy

Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 03:43:14 PM »

Perfect Cherry Blossom is pretty damn hard normally, but the Phantasm stage?! Holy crap on a stick.. that's just rediculous.
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 02:16:48 PM »

Ikaruga

Damn, this game is hard. Especially if like me you are a bit of a perfectionist. Then it becomes impossible. Even after you're given a slow motion mode to practice on. It's just really, really hard!

Yes, I can't even beat the game on easy without using a continue, and you can forget about hard mode.

But that just makes it even more insane when people do stuff like this:

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 09:26:36 AM »

My list...

Vortex (SNES) - I really wanted to finish this game, but GOD it's awfully hard. The frame rate is your effin' worst enemy. Awesome techno synth music though...

Ikaruga (Arcade, DC, GC) - is also HARD as hell. I've only managed to get to the 4th stage with one credit. I'm still challenging the beast to tame it.

Rogue (PC)... What can I say, I've never been deeper than the 8th floor of the dungeon, damn it's hard, AND unforgiving, but I love it.

Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (Fami) - Nuff said.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic