Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:33:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Curious Expedition
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Expedition  (Read 187382 times)
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »

It looks better in the hex-form. But use whatever fits best the gameplay.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »

Man, this sound really cool.

Especially

bly and you’ll face certain death. Losing is fun!

As you explore and interact with the world, your actions will cause the region to gradually go out of balance, until the trail of chaos you left catches up and forces you to run for your life.

Games need more people experimenting with creating a narrative through mechanics and their natural progressions.  This is awesome to see.

Also, the hex grid looks a lot better.  If it works with the game-play, then I would go with that.

Magides
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 11:52:43 PM »

Your post on Pixel Joint brought me here Wink

Also: HEX Grid looks 1000% better!
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 12:04:11 AM »

Hexes.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
antoniodamala
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »

hexes looks cooler
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »

HEXe cute!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »

I think I've been outvoted!  Cheesy
Box99
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »

I like hexes more as well. Plus you have Tesla and dinosaurs. You make Tesla ride a raptor. It must happen. I feel the art could use some more work, looks kinda bland right now. I mean the overworld tiles more than the mans. Remember! Historical figures riding dinosaurs.
Jerom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 06:04:09 AM »

The Hexe mockup is prettier Wink

mauz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 06:47:21 AM »

I think the hex grid mockup looks better too, but -sorry for the speculation- it seems to me that the first to like it more was the one who made it. :D

(I also agree to the statement that hex grid based games are associated to "too serious/complicated" strateg games)

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »

I also prefer the hexes.

The only downside to hexes that I can see is that it makes it more difficult to model orthogonally laid-out environments like the interior of human structures - but judging from the scale and the setting I'm guessing that will not be an issue.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »

I like the hexes too. And speaking of hexes, I can't wait to see what Aleister Crowley's special abilities will be!

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 07:29:27 AM »

Happy New Year to you all!

Some updates:

• We're currently busy getting our combat system in a playable state.
  • Also, the decision for going Hex-fields seems to be pretty set, it is just a matter of when we are going to do the move. (many thanks for your opinions - sorry happymonster, you surely got outvoted ;-)
  • We're currently re-evaluating how to handle the gathering of resources such as water or food. Hopefully we'll have something to show soon that explains this aspect of gameplay in a bit more detail.
  • We are in contact with a very kind person that will support us with some example music for our game, which we are very excited about. Stay tuned.

Last but not least, something nice to look at - this is a mockup (still using grabbed photo textures from the excellent

) for some title screen / start menu thing.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 03:13:36 PM »

Since we're currently working on the combat system I've started playing around with possible combat animations.
The jury is still out whether we properly animate an attack animation from starting position to target, attack and then back to starting position or if we go for the more production friendly, "traditional" playing the attack animation on spot without any real movement.

Obviously I started playing around with my preferred approach. Gentleman
I've used Flash because I'm quick with it and it has a lot of flexibility, but ultimately I'll have to animate this basically frame by frame. Also, Flash export to animated gif really sucks, so please excuse the shitty colors and semi-optimal framerate of this rough preview. Lips Sealed

Any recommendations for a pixelart animation tool?

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 03:47:02 PM »

This is super nifty! Glad you decided to go hex grids, not only was the hex mockup a lot prettier but I think it will help make your game feel more unique.
Hiroshi_CO
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 05:02:59 PM »

Hey pal,

Well, I'm not sure if this is the best option for animation, but I really like to animate on Photoshop, activate the animation windows, there you will be able to draw frame by frame and it is great for saving .gif (Obs: use the CTRL + ALT + Shift + S to save, i will give you a lot of options if needed)

keep going with your game.
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 05:35:43 PM »

I like GraphicsGale for pixel-art animations.  It's shareware, but almost all features are free except to save .gifs with it, it's ~$23.  (You can save sprite sheets for free.)  It's simple and designed for pixel animation stuff, so has nice features like a little preview window that can loop the animation so you can see how it looks in motion as you edit it.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 03:25:55 PM »

Ok. I think I begin to like Graphics Gale.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 04:38:38 AM »

Some small updates:

• We have finally reached a state where our combat gameplay is embedded in the normal traveling gameplay. This is pretty exciting and allows for a whole bunch of new situations.

• In parallel to the combat, we're also working on the temple raiding gameplay (which is using the same logic and interface as the combat gameplay). We can't go into detail for the raiding gameplay, but we can show those little debug icons we'll be using (for testing only) for trap and trigger types.

Also, this is a really, really rough mockup of a temple raiding scene:

koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 05:52:02 AM »

Oh, man.. When you show brutal temple traps side by side with an uneven line of those poor locals.. Epileptic Well, you know, this is Evil

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic