Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 02:37:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Curious Expedition
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Expedition  (Read 188123 times)
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: July 09, 2013, 01:04:39 PM »

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 09, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »

@Font: Looks promising Smiley

Great theme, great visuals! Did you ever play "Dark Secrets of Africa" (

)?

I think by touching topics like the exploitation of Africa you can create a very deep experience. Too few games deal with such topics. I think it would do the topic justice to offer some disturbing actions towards the servants. The right dialog can emphasize the insanity of this era.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:27:25 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: July 10, 2013, 01:30:45 PM »

@Font: Looks promising Smiley

Great theme, great visuals! Did you ever play "Dark Secrets of Africa" (

)?

I think by touching topics like the exploitation of Africa you can create a very deep experience. Too few games deal with such topics. I think it would do the topic justice to offer some disturbing actions towards the servants. The right dialog can emphasize the insanity of this era.

Those are some excellent references, thanks a lot - I did not know about the game until now.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: July 10, 2013, 05:18:21 PM »

its pretty good actually. you've got a few kerning issues, like the 'th' in 'with' and the 'am'. the 'news' is pretty awful though. The 'I' should just be straight up, considering it may be used a lot.

You could try having a few alternatives for each letter, that may give it a more hand-written look. You could also try offsetting some of the words by random amounts.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 10, 2013, 06:07:03 PM »

Making font is non trivial, most graphist develop one in 1 or more years, obviously you might need less for this specific bitmap case, but try to have a fallback fonts just in case of.

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: July 17, 2013, 08:49:08 AM »

Posting to follow. This looks awesome, and it has Tesla in it!

In regards to the font, the 'w' looks a  bit awkward in its current form. There is a lot of space between the 'o' and 'w' in 'how' for example, that really stuck out to me. The 'w' also looks strange in the word 'between'. It sort of meshes with the 't' to form an odd shape.

Keep up the good work.

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: July 17, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »

I like that font, and does it really have to be perfect if it's meant to resemble handwriting? As long as people can read it and it has the vibe you want.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: July 17, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »

Posting to follow. This looks awesome, and it has Tesla in it!
  Gentleman

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: August 01, 2013, 04:34:05 AM »

As an avid admirer of Homo Ludens, I just want to say how amazing it is to see Huizinga's name come up as a character in a computer game. Awesome. Even if the rest of the game didn't look so excellent, I think I'd buy it just for that.

He, being the traveling anthropologist that he was, was an obvious choice, also especially because his work that has inspired me as a designer from very early on. I'm glad you like it.

I agree with both the comment and the reply; a very neat inclusion. Really like the look of the game, and I love that Homo Ludens is actually an item! Whilst I do like HL, have you come across Man, Play & Games by Roger Caillois, or "The Grasshopper" by Bernard Suits? Both very interesting; Grasshopper is more about defining the term "game" and the value of games, whilst MP&G is more like Homo Ludens and about the place of games in society, etc. Both really good reads Smiley.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: August 01, 2013, 04:44:09 AM »

Whilst I do like HL, have you come across Man, Play & Games by Roger Caillois, or "The Grasshopper" by Bernard Suits? Both very interesting; Grasshopper is more about defining the term "game" and the value of games, whilst MP&G is more like Homo Ludens and about the place of games in society, etc. Both really good reads Smiley.

Yes, I tend to sort experiences into the Ilinx, Mimicry, Agon and Alea principles since I read Caillois. I'm way too deep into Game Design Theory :-)

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: August 01, 2013, 12:33:18 PM »

Small development outtake update:

This just happened to me playing the current build of the game (I just wanted to test something completely unrelated). I liked it and wanted to share it with you. It is an example of our group morale system in action.

Xicuzoku the Animal Handler has a problem. (center of screen)
He is vegetarian, but the only remaining food is cooked fish. He has not eaten for two days, and his morale (sanity) is low. He is hungry and upset, and does not want to stand with the  good willed members of the trek as they happily chew away on their delicious cooked fish.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: August 13, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »

Small update:

It's been a little quiet in the past, which is mainly due to the fact that we have started working on more business related things.
Nontheless, here's a GameOver screen I had this morning, showing my travel route:

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: August 13, 2013, 11:39:26 PM »

Dearest Mrs. Tesla,

It is with an heavy heart I must inform you that in the densest jungle known to man your son was heavily injured when we came under attack by a ferocious puma. He fought back with all his might but the puma was strong and fierce. Later that evening your son died.

Please send money.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: August 14, 2013, 12:58:09 AM »

Dearest Mrs. Tesla,

It is with an heavy heart I must inform you that in the densest jungle known to man your son was heavily injured when we came under attack by a ferocious puma. He fought back with all his might but the puma was strong and fierce. Later that evening your son died.

Please send money.

<3

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 14, 2013, 03:00:47 AM »

I am in love with the map displayed in this non-pixelated way Kiss. I know it is probably too late, but did you ever think about using a normal resolution for the game?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:59:04 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2013, 03:12:50 AM »

I am in love with the map displayed in this non-pixelated way Kiss. I know it is probably too late, but did you ever think about using a normal resolution for the game?

Yes, initially we spent a lot of time thinking about this. Actually, you can and will see the map a lot of the time in this 1:1 pixel ratio since you'll want to zoom out from time to time for a better overview.
However, the basic thing is still that the "standard" resultion is pixel scaled 2x, I personally prefer this edgy, rough look.

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2013, 07:56:35 AM »

So good.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »

Created some quick wallpapers after a friendly twitter request.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:42:03 PM by jO » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »

Just in case you still asking for it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_adventurers
You can sort by date

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom