Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 12:58:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Curious Expedition
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Expedition  (Read 188017 times)
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: August 15, 2013, 04:52:34 AM »

Looking good! 'Game over' screens like that aren't used much anymore but one of my favourite things about the original Civilisation was seeing the final summary of my reign. I like the idea of your trek being documented in this way.

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: August 15, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »

Hi,

Further to your first answer I sent you another pm about a week ago and I was wondering if you've ever received it.... I know TIG Forums' mailbox' notification system isn't very reliable from time to time.

Cheers Smiley

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: August 16, 2013, 01:33:44 AM »

Hi,

Further to your first answer I sent you another pm about a week ago and I was wondering if you've ever received it.... I know TIG Forums' mailbox' notification system isn't very reliable from time to time.

Cheers Smiley

I've sent you a direct email about a week ago? Let me double check on this  Beer!

Onimwad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 19, 2013, 06:20:47 PM »

Impressive style and premise. I love a good randomly generated world map!
Your environment and character art is on the money, but what I see of the U.I. in that battle screen leaves a bit to be desired. Unless that has changed since.

I've not been here more than a day, but this is the first project to pique my interest. Good work!

I think I will find myself playing this.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: August 19, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »

hey jO, I stumbled across this article about polygonal map generation and thought of your game. Might be useful..

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: August 19, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »

hey jO, I stumbled across this article about polygonal map generation and thought of your game. Might be useful..

Yup it is great work that Amit has done there and I have worked through all of it for my APRI50 and actually got it working again. But porting the map to a polygon-styled map any later than I did, let alone at the time and place that Curious Expedition is now, would be madness.

But that being said, Curious Expedition could easily extend its grid tiles with elevation and moisture and run all the code for creating the graph (easy with a grid), coast/ocean, rivers and specially biomes. That code won't care if your map is polygon or a grid.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: August 20, 2013, 12:34:16 AM »

That is an excellent article. Thanks a lot for the Link  Gentleman

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: August 21, 2013, 02:44:30 PM »

But porting the map to a polygon-styled map any later than I did, let alone at the time and place that Curious Expedition is now, would be madness.

Oh, I'd use it as a high-level plan, with a second pass where you overlay the hex field and assign land type based on which region the center of the hex is in. In my game, moonman, I use general polygons as high-level plans, then convert this all to blocks with in-polygon tests. It's great having the different hierarchies of planning and generation.

weem
Level 0

youtube/weemcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: August 21, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »

@jO

Great looking game!

I'm browsing around tonight looking for new games to play for my channel, and this is very interesting. I went back a few pages and saw someone asked the question I had, which was... "when will Alpha be here?" (to which you responded you were working on it) - but that was 3 weeks ago, so, if you don't mind me being 'that guy'...

...any updates on an Alpha release date?

Thanks for humoring me, and again, this is looking great!

Mike "Weem" - YouTuber, Game Designer
===========
YouTube.com/Weemcast
Creator/Designer/Artist: Epic Inventor (PC/Linux)
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: August 21, 2013, 11:38:30 PM »

@jO

Great looking game!

I'm browsing around tonight looking for new games to play for my channel, and this is very interesting. I went back a few pages and saw someone asked the question I had, which was... "when will Alpha be here?" (to which you responded you were working on it) - but that was 3 weeks ago, so, if you don't mind me being 'that guy'...

...any updates on an Alpha release date?

Thanks for humoring me, and again, this is looking great!

Hello there. We're still preparing a playable build for external testing, however, considering the state "Alpha" would be way too much :-)
Also, we're currently distracted by more business related things, which caused some delay to our plans for this playable build. We had set our internal milestone to sometime in September for the build, but I am not sure if we can keep that.
What I can do is that I'll put you on our list of people that will receive access as soon as we have something public playable and send you a message as soon as we have that ready - how does that sound?
Thanks a lot for your interest  Gentleman
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:54:42 AM by jO » Logged

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: August 22, 2013, 03:32:40 AM »

What I can do is that I'll put you on our list of people that will receive access as soon as we have something public playable and send you a message as soon as we have that ready - how does that sound?
Thanka a lot for your interest  Gentleman

Why not a newsletter? I have one at mailchimp and hooked up the RSS feed from my tumblr to send out a mail every Thursday (apparently the best day to do that).

weem
Level 0

youtube/weemcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: August 22, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »

That would be great, and much appreciated, thank you Wink

I've sent you a PM with some contact info!

Mike "Weem" - YouTuber, Game Designer
===========
YouTube.com/Weemcast
Creator/Designer/Artist: Epic Inventor (PC/Linux)
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: August 22, 2013, 11:25:37 PM »

Thanka a lot for your interest  Gentleman

Why not a newsletter? I have one at mailchimp and hooked up the RSS feed from my tumblr to send out a mail every Thursday (apparently the best day to do that).

Yeah, we considered that, but I personally don't like newsletters - they are just so unpersonal. Maybe once we reach a number of people that is high enough we may need it, but for now we don't really need that :-)

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: August 22, 2013, 11:31:32 PM »

Yeah, we considered that, but I personally don't like newsletters - they are just so unpersonal. Maybe once we reach a number of people that is high enough we may need it, but for now we don't really need that :-)

True, specially if you automate them like I do… But it's still a marketing tool and you gotta use them all to sell your game.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: August 22, 2013, 11:34:26 PM »

True, specially if you automate them like I do… But it's still a marketing tool and you gotta use them all to sell your game.

come time, come sell  Grin

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: August 22, 2013, 11:37:07 PM »

Uh yeah, that's the time I do look forward for. Any thoughts on your strategy? Is it suitable for a long fruity alpha sale? I'm considering it for my apri50, can't be too hard to sell someone a €500 package of a game Smiley

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: August 22, 2013, 11:41:09 PM »

Uh yeah, that's the time I do look forward for. Any thoughts on your strategy? Is it suitable for a long fruity alpha sale? I'm considering it for my apri50, can't be too hard to sell someone a €500 package of a game Smiley

We're currently in the process of figuring out the details of our "strategy". Given the gameplay we have, an Alpha funding would be a very good candidate. As soon as we have more information on that we'll let you all know  Gentleman

txtsd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2013, 05:10:23 AM »

I really really love the art!
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 07, 2013, 07:15:23 AM »

Lovin this, I like the gif that you've posted on the screenshot saturday post Smiley
DannyCalleri
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: October 09, 2013, 05:10:09 AM »

Wooo... This game looks wonderful, hope to play it soon!
Did you already release an alpha version?

Danny Calleri - Twitter
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic