Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:45:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Curious Expedition
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Expedition  (Read 188195 times)
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: October 09, 2013, 05:23:36 AM »

Wooo... This game looks wonderful, hope to play it soon!
Did you already release an alpha version?

Hey, glad you like it. We're currently preparing some alpha-ish version that we can let loose on humanity, however, since we are currently also working on the business side of things this might take another couple of weeks.

We'll make a proper annoucement as soon as we have something, so stay tuned  Gentleman

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: October 09, 2013, 11:22:45 PM »

Development Update!

We've been spending a lot of time lately on business related things. It seems like the option to work on our game full time will become a reality not too long ago. We'll keep you updated.

We are currently experimenting with a different approach to our combat, which is a much simpler and straight forward, realtime system.

We switched our inventory to a slot-based system. Before, each unit could carry a certain amount of weight, which added to the overall maximum amount of weight the whole trek could carry. Now instead of using weight, each unit adds a certain amount of inventory slots to the treks inventory. This, combined with a maximum amount of stacks per item allows makes the system much more tangible.

A random design outtake from some work on HUD elements that show the current status of a unit:

We're still dedicated to get a playable version as soon as possible ready for the ones interested; with our focus on improving feedback, this has been a good and steady progress.

We have a already a lot of random events with multiple outcomes, and keeping an overview of how they are connected (or not) can be hard. Because of this, we also worked on a visualizer that draws a graph based on all events, which looks something like this:

muzboz
Level 0

Indie game developer from Melbourne, Australia.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: October 10, 2013, 05:11:50 AM »

Looks cool! Coffee
Matrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: October 13, 2013, 11:07:08 PM »

Not a turn-based game fan, but really like the color palette and the PCG method.
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: October 17, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »

This is lookin' real nice! Hope it does well. Smiley

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: October 17, 2013, 10:30:04 PM »

When the playable version arrives, I will go outside and fire my elephant gun into the air until the constabulary tell me to desist.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: October 26, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »

Small update - 2 mockups of how our interface could eventually look like. (this is mostly for size and spacing, art still needs to be done, obviously)

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: October 26, 2013, 06:17:54 PM »

There's a lot going on there: side-by-side panels, overlaid widgets, pages, health-bars with overlaid status descriptors, etc. It's very confusing and messy. Is it important that the player knows the exact percentage of morale, or is the status label sufficient? Shouldn't the portrait appear close to the crew display? Can the Journal view be put on a separate screen (or overlay in the center while darkening everything else), or do you need to see everything to make the decision? Can the compass be inlined into the map? Do you even need the compass at all times, or can it be just an icon that, when clicked, brings in the compass and other navigation tools?

It also needs visual balance, for instance if the portrait was lower-right, then the compass could balance it if it were the same size and structure. Look at the civilisation 4/5 UI, everything almost has mirror symmetry.

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 29, 2013, 01:34:04 AM »

There's a lot going on there: side-by-side panels, overlaid widgets, pages, health-bars with overlaid status descriptors, etc. It's very confusing and messy. Is it important that the player knows the exact percentage of morale, or is the status label sufficient? Shouldn't the portrait appear close to the crew display? Can the Journal view be put on a separate screen (or overlay in the center while darkening everything else), or do you need to see everything to make the decision? Can the compass be inlined into the map? Do you even need the compass at all times, or can it be just an icon that, when clicked, brings in the compass and other navigation tools?

It also needs visual balance, for instance if the portrait was lower-right, then the compass could balance it if it were the same size and structure. Look at the civilisation 4/5 UI, everything almost has mirror symmetry.

I personally don't find the mockup particularly messy. I would think that if you play the game you will quickly get used to the layout and find the information you need without being distracted by unnecessary clutter. At the same time though, I think that eigenbom's suggestions/questions are all pretty good and could improve the design even more.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: October 29, 2013, 01:48:02 AM »

Yeah, I agree. I don't think the UI itself is messy. I think it's the jaggedy edge of the hexagon map that makes it seem that way. Too busy or something. Put the UI overlay on a clean background and you'll probably have less problems with it.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: October 29, 2013, 02:25:30 AM »

Yes, this is some excellent feedback, so thanks a lot eigenbom  Gentleman
Obviously this is very heavy WIP, and usually things fall into place once we implement the individual pieces step by step.
I'll keep you updated on the actual, implemented HUD elements as they appear in the game.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: October 30, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »

Yeah, actually now that I think about it, how are hexagons embossed into an old paper map? Eigen's right, maybe you should just fill the blank map space with hexagons to complete the motif (or alternatively, don't emboss the hexagons and add a drawn hexagon transition between boundary and paper). Also you could probably move the character name to appear as a tooltip over the portrait. This game looks great, so I'm definitely looking forward to more UI development. Good luck!

Smiley

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: November 02, 2013, 01:38:42 PM »

I've been working on portraits for some native tribes

Inspiration drawn from Masai, Mursi and Huli tribes.

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 03, 2013, 01:16:22 AM »

I've been working on portraits for some native tribes

Inspiration drawn from Masai, Mursi and Huli tribes.

Sweet as sugar!
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: November 03, 2013, 03:51:00 AM »

Some more concept artwork

nss_aries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: November 03, 2013, 05:22:04 AM »

These pixels are so lovely. Smiley

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 04, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »

Hellllllllo, new desktop wallpaper! :-)
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: November 04, 2013, 01:23:21 PM »

Hellllllllo, new desktop wallpaper! :-)

Yes, right, we tweeted this, but I might as well put it here - nothing special, just the last mockup shot modified a bit to make for a proper wallpaper.
Enjoy.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: November 04, 2013, 02:08:46 PM »

My new desktop background Smiley

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: November 04, 2013, 11:49:52 PM »