Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:49:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Curious Expedition
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Expedition  (Read 187387 times)
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 10, 2013, 07:41:03 AM »

Will this game have A.G Bell in it, and also(from a mockup a few pages ago), how do you plan on generating the rivers on the edges of the hexfields?

I'm not sure yet. Maybe starting at random locations and then moving towards lower value points on the underlaying perlin map. Or by starting at random locations and then extending the stream in forward direction while randomly turning left and right with certain probabilities. Kinda like the levels are generated in Nuclear Throne as far as I remember. There is also a nice river generation illustration done by jO somewhere in this thread.

We're open for additional ideas though. Smiley

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: December 13, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »

Ah, if the Roguebasin page speaks the truth, I see you're coming to IRDC 2014! Look forward to seeing you there Smiley

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: December 16, 2013, 01:47:02 AM »

Ah, if the Roguebasin page speaks the truth, I see you're coming to IRDC 2014! Look forward to seeing you there Smiley

Yeah, we'll be there. Nice that you're coming too, I'm looking forward talking to you as well.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: December 18, 2013, 01:44:43 AM »

We have added a new explorer during our currently on-going #femcrunch:

If you don't know what our #femcrunch is about, you can read it here.

One more female explorer to go, suggestions are still very welcome!

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: December 20, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »

Spear throwing animation mockup (timing is off due to animated gif):

one more - titlescreen animations are like balm on the developers soul

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:36:56 PM by jO » Logged

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: December 20, 2013, 11:37:15 PM »

*subscribing*

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 21, 2013, 12:22:18 AM »

Spear throwing animation mockup (timing is off due to animated gif):

Needs a bit more oomph I think...
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 21, 2013, 08:14:04 AM »

Agreed, I suggest you redo the arm-forward frame and the first two frames of flying spear - it makes it appear to stutter, and then look like it's accelerating mid-flight.

Instead, you want the arm to appear to be accelerating and then have the spear appear to fly at constant (fast) speed. Perhaps stretched with motion-blur.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 21, 2013, 08:37:40 AM »

I think the animation of the spear thrower is good, in regards to what the different poses look like. But I'd change the timing.

I love the detail of how he's balancing the spear for a little while, that should definitely be kept Smiley But then I'd just have him bring the spear backwards during a few frame, after which I'd instantly switch to one where he's leaned forward, arm in front of him, and the spear is in the air. I'd also give the spear more speed, two or three frames are probably enough for that distance!

I think the hyena's "damaged" animation is a little bit underwhelming. Couldn't it fall over and get back up or something?

The human character has a tremendous amount of... character for such few pixels Smiley I really like how you can see him leaning in the different directions, move his arms for balance etc. But, as I said, I'd speed things up a little.
kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 21, 2013, 10:48:42 AM »

The human character has a tremendous amount of... character for such few pixels Smiley

Yes, totally! Smiley

I guess my initial comment was referring to the fact that the character is pretty much just standing there. The character does shift balance when s/he throws the spear, but I think for a hunter, I would have expected some kind of step, or turn of the hip or something like that to give the throw more power.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:17:59 AM by kleiba » Logged
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 21, 2013, 11:06:37 AM »

Spear throwing animation mockup (timing is off due to animated gif)

Oh sorry, hadn't noticed this. Have you tried Gifcam or LICEcap? If the game can run in Windowed mode, they should be able to record the animation directly as it appears in the game.

http://blog.bahraniapps.com/?page_id=21
http://www.cockos.com/licecap/
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: December 21, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »

You're making good progress, jO. Smiley

Setreal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 25, 2013, 09:40:13 PM »

Game is looking great. Are you guys going to be running a kickstarter?
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: January 06, 2014, 02:08:30 PM »

Spear throwing animation mockup (timing is off due to animated gif)

Oh sorry, hadn't noticed this. Have you tried Gifcam or LICEcap? If the game can run in Windowed mode, they should be able to record the animation directly as it appears in the game.

http://blog.bahraniapps.com/?page_id=21
http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

Oh holy WOW. I've been using LiceCap for a long time and was kinda happy with it - nice tool, reliable, free and simple. But GifCam just BLEW MY SOCKS. So good!
Thanks so much for that recommendation.
Check out this gif, which is captured with ZERO quality loss and perfect frame rate. Amazing!

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: January 06, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »

Game is looking great. Are you guys going to be running a kickstarter?

Thank you!
Currently we have no plans to go on kickstarter.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: January 06, 2014, 02:18:22 PM »

Oh holy WOW. I've been using LiceCap for a long time and was kinda happy with it - nice tool, reliable, free and simple. But GifCam just BLEW MY SOCKS. So good!
Thanks so much for that recommendation.
Check out this gif, which is captured with ZERO quality loss and perfect frame rate. Amazing!

Oh, that feature list is impressive, petty it's windows-only Sad On the other hand, LICEcap is GPL.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 07, 2014, 02:06:24 AM »

The timing on that new GIF is definitely better Hand Thumbs Up Left. Although I still think the mid-flight frames are a bit awkward in that you see the spear more often in the beginning instead of evenly distributed over the whole flight.
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: January 10, 2014, 11:58:14 AM »

I'm streaming the creation of the last portrait of our #femcrunch now live on http://www.twitch.tv/curiousgame

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: January 11, 2014, 07:25:26 AM »

The timing on that new GIF is definitely better Hand Thumbs Up Left. Although I still think the mid-flight frames are a bit awkward in that you see the spear more often in the beginning instead of evenly distributed over the whole flight.
agree, it should be slowing down over the distance if anything

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: January 11, 2014, 08:31:45 AM »

Thansk a lot for the feedback on the animation. I'll take it into consideration when making the next mockup.

On other news, I finished our #femcrunch yesterday.
In case you missed what the #femcrunch is about, you can read about it here.

Gentleman Thank you all so much for your amazing support, especially to AF for contributing his amazing art for Freya Stark, Dion Fortune, Amelia Earhart, A. David-Neel and Mary Kingsley.

So here it is, an overview all of your currently available explorers, with an equal amount of female and male explorers.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic