Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:39:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Curious Expedition
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Expedition  (Read 188175 times)
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: April 02, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »

Ahah, the poor grandmother don't change Big Laff
Good job it's awesome !

I fact she got 1 pixel in height. It's true, she is small, but what she is missing in size, her lightsaber makes up.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: April 04, 2014, 11:48:04 AM »

Updates:

We're doing some visual polishing, mostly to get rid of unwanted anti-aliased programmer art elements to improve homogeneity. Biggest offender so far is the brown border that separates the visible area from the map background. Here are some mockups that we did to find out what we want to achieve.

Which one do you prefer?

8b

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: April 04, 2014, 11:55:07 AM »

Clearly 8b. I'd even go further by applying those noisy edge to every tile (some pseudo random generator would keep them consistent through reloads). subdivide every edge, and addd some offset to the midpoint.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: April 04, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »

I can't decide between 8 and 8b. 8b is a bit too strong I think. Bigger picture along with the other elements on the screen would help I guess. Actually, number 2 is really good as well... Damn you for giving us so many choices Grin

Okay, I think I like 2 best. Possibly 2b:

Is the map supposed to appear on the paper or are you (figuratively) cutting out the paper so that the map shows up beneath?

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: April 04, 2014, 12:18:16 PM »

I can't decide between 8 and 8b. 8b is a bit too strong I think. Bigger picture along with the other elements on the screen would help I guess. Actually, number 2 is really good as well... Damn you for giving us so many choices Grin

Okay, I think I like 2 best. Possibly 2b:

Is the map supposed to appear on the paper or are you (figuratively) cutting out the paper so that the map shows up beneath?

Hey thats a nice 2b!
They idea is that we are revealing the landscape that lies underneath the map, so your mockup works nicely. Thanks <3

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 04, 2014, 12:32:34 PM »

I like 8b, I don't like the highlights, paper with highlights looks too "nibbled out" to me.
What do you think about hard shadows? They could change direction relative to the mouse coordinates. This would add some "explorer feeling" and would also help to recognize the edges of the unexplored tiles that would be dark with static shadows. Might be not that accessible with a tablet...
Dirty mockup:

Maybe you could even cast a shadow directly from the mouse... disclaimer: at least the main menu of the German version of the game "Dark secrets of Africa" has a torch that casts a light on the menu's letters in a similar way.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:41:15 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: April 05, 2014, 12:20:30 PM »

I like 8b, I don't like the highlights, paper with highlights looks too "nibbled out" to me.
What do you think about hard shadows? They could change direction relative to the mouse coordinates. This would add some "explorer feeling" and would also help to recognize the edges of the unexplored tiles that would be dark with static shadows. Might be not that accessible with a tablet...
Dirty mockup:

Maybe you could even cast a shadow directly from the mouse... disclaimer: at least the main menu of the German version of the game "Dark secrets of Africa" has a torch that casts a light on the menu's letters in a similar way.

That's a super nice idea - very juicy! We'll certainly consider it, thanks a lot for that  Gentleman

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: April 05, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »

Brought all (current) player units up to news scale

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 05, 2014, 02:01:21 PM »

They look amazing! It's crazy how one can see huge bushy mutton chops in such a few pixels (I mean the guy in the top left corner).

That's a super nice idea - very juicy! We'll certainly consider it, thanks a lot for that  Gentleman
It was my pleasure Gentleman. Maybe it feels too unsteady when controlled with the mouse. Alternatively the sun could "cast" the shadow. It could emphasize a day and night cycle and passing time while traveling.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:12:49 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
PeteDevlin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 06, 2014, 12:31:23 AM »

8b is absolutely the right one - With the day/night shadow mentioned above - Gorgeous idea
kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: April 06, 2014, 02:47:29 AM »

Brought all (current) player units up to news scale

Love the dog!
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: April 06, 2014, 05:37:20 AM »

One of my biggest challenges on Rome 2 Total war was designing a system that disguised the fact our campaign map is made with hex's we came up with some cool ways to blend tiles together and disguise the seams over half a million tiles :S If your artists want to disguise the edges of hex's it should be pretty easy on this type of map. thats assuming you want to hide them.

I like the 8b shroud the most also.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 07, 2014, 08:39:53 AM »

Dirty mockup:

Thanks for the feedback! I like the dynamic shadow idea. I played around with some approaches for this idea. What do you think?

It might end up being a bit too noisy for our game. I'll play around with using the camera/scroll position instead of the mouse. I'll also look into parallax scrolling. I think that should be a really fitting effect.

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 07, 2014, 12:09:41 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! I like the dynamic shadow idea. I played around with some approaches for this idea. What do you think?
Looks great, I like the 3D-ish outcome.

It might end up being a bit too noisy for our game. I'll play around with using the camera/scroll position instead of the mouse. I'll also look into parallax scrolling. I think that should be a really fitting effect.
Did you try to tie the day and night cycle/wandering time to the shadow position? You loose interactivity, but it might bring a better sense of time.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 09, 2014, 08:01:08 PM »

less harsh shadow might reduce the noisy effect too

AF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 09, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »

The shadow samples are distracting, but they're also moving much faster (I asume) than they would in the game. Also decreasing their size and opacity would help.

I might be way off, but revealing the active environment through a hole in a map makes the game feel smaller to me.

The moving shadow is a cool effect, but I feel that unless it can be tied to gameplay in a meaningful way it's unnecessary.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: April 09, 2014, 10:24:05 PM »

I might be way off, but revealing the active environment through a hole in a map makes the game feel smaller to me.

Yeah, that bothers me too. That's why I liked mockup #2 best because it was the most neutral without any distracting depth.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: April 10, 2014, 06:25:38 AM »

Very good observation!

I'd place the environment floating on top of the paper map, so if there is any shadow, I'd drop it down beneath the landscape.

Remember all these cool movie intros where you see a map and then the landscape grows out of it? That's the effect I'd strive for.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: April 24, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »

We're going to participate in the upcoming Ludum Dare.

If you are a musician / sound designer and interested in joining us, please get in touch.

AF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 28, 2014, 08:13:44 AM »

8 hours left. I hope it's going well!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic