Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:14:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGameInformer: "Like Bees to a Flower" article
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GameInformer: "Like Bees to a Flower" article  (Read 2379 times)
Powergloved Andy
« on: September 23, 2008, 10:31:27 AM »

Hey everybody, I got the October issue of Game Informer today and there is an article about indie gaming that I thought I'd share.  Gentleman

console publishers flock to indie developers
Like Bees to a Flower
by Celia Pierce

When asked if someone from IndieCade could write an editorial about how the introduction of downloadable console portals would affect the indie games scene, both positively and negatively, I was hard-pressed to think of a downside. I suppose there are many: the potential for indie developers to sell out, the possible exploitation by publishers, and the relatively small sales figures (at least at the moment). All these are, I suppose, cause for concern. But the upsides are far greater. In fact, it's somewhat baffling that the game industry is so late to embrace indie fare.

By way of comparison, the film industry has, for half a century, embraced mainstream studio product and indie fare in its repertoire in a synergistic fashion that has benefited both sides. This "diversification of species" has helped create a more robust ecosystem that is a win for business and consumers alike. Conversely, the video game industry has, up until now, borne a striking resemblance to the film industry of the 1930s and '40s Under the old studio system, artists - including actors, directors and writers (the latter of whom typically received little or no credit for their work) - were salaried employees of studios, who exercised complete and hegemonic control over creative output. While the fledgling film industry was already better at more diverse fare (and budgets) and at reaching broader audiences than the game industry is today, creative decisions were made in a top-down fashion. Studio executives decided what did and did not get made, how it was made, etc. Sound familiar? This system produced wonderful and artistic products ranging from the spectacle of Busby Berkeley musical, to humble but perennial Frank Capra fable, to epic historical masterpieces (also called "costume pictures") like Gone with the Wind.

One could argue that the point film industry got indie religion, it was on the verge of fossilizing into a massive hegemonic dinosaur. Overhead was immense, and the studio culture was one of risk aversion. But the studio system seized the opportunity presend by indie film and integrated this new generation of creators into its ecosystem, to everyone's benefit.

Case in point, summer 2008. Many of the summer's box office hits have had indie directors at their helms. Consider The Dark Knight, a big-budget mainstream film that has been heralded as the most sophisticated and artistic offering in the overwrought Batman franchise. The film's ad campaign could have easily read "from the people who brought you Memento." That's right, Christopher Nolan, of time-bending, amnesia-tattooing Memento fame, was at the helm of the biggest summer blockbuster of 2008, as well as its predecessor. Film studios have leveraged the potential profitability of low-budget films by managing risk. Billy Elliotearned over $100 million at theaters, but cost only $5 million to make. Memento cost the same and earned nearly $40 million worldwide. As of this writing, Nolan's decidedly indie-flavored The Dark Knight has earned $800 million worldwide, wit production budget of $150 million.

So the real questions regarding the game industry should be, what took them so long? One possible reason might be the taboo against hard drives and "soft" product, spurred by piracy-anxiety, in spite of the fact that the internet was breathing new life into the "dying" PC market. Console companies have finally followed in the footsteps of Shockwave and Steam, whose vision was to take Wal-Mart out of the game distribution equation. Downloadable games are the "wave of the present". It's about time the console-makers caught on.

As a game design professor, an indie game festival chair, and a game designer, I find it difficult to see a downside. Sitting in the Game Developers Choice Awards at GDC 2008, I was struck by what, from my albeit biased perspective, appeared to be an "indie invasion". Major awards were carried off by games that got their start on indie festival circuit, including Portal, and Flow, and a nod to Everyday Shooter, by one-man indie game jam band Jon Mak. This year, GDC indie poster boy Jonathan Blow made his console debut with Braid on Xbox Live, a genre-bending masterpiece that is one part Super Mario Bros, one part Einstein's Dreams, and one part Memento.

I suppose one could argue that these indie developers have become sell-outs, but that would only be the case if they compromised their artistic integrity. Instead, what seems to be happening is that, as Raph Koster puts it, citing Line Rider, "indie is the new industry". IndieCade's E3 2008 showcase drew publishers like bees to a flower. Companies are still vying for IP ownership, but are willing to give up a great portion of the pie if it's already baked, so to speak.

The big studios are finally recognizing that indie developers have succeeded where they have failed: at innovating, at finding new audiences, and doing it for a fraction of cost. From scouting From scouting for new talent at indie game festivals like the IGF, Slamdances, and IndieCade, to starting divisions devoted to cultivating innovation, the game industry is finally catching on. Slow initial sales should not be a deterrent; they will grow over time. ("The Long Tail" anyone?) Indie games can also be more profitable  since they cost so much less to make. Mighty oaks from little acorns grow. Just ask Chris Nolan or the producers of Billy Elliot. As to game companies working for "the man," Flow's That Game Company is developing its next anxiously awaited PS3 offering. While Sony is guiding them through the process, the publisher is letting them do their own thing creatively. how else could a game called Flower make it onto an adrenaline-infused console platform like the PS3?

source: Gameinformer, October 2008
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 10:53:49 AM »

tell me something i dont know.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 11:09:05 AM »

I'm starting to wonder if you have a chronic unfriendliness syndrome.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 01:00:27 PM »

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 01:14:30 PM »

Well played.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 01:20:54 PM »

Ants form 15–20% of the terrestrial animal biomass.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Gnarf
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 01:42:09 PM »

Is that Fish?
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 05:04:22 PM »

Ants form 15–20% of the terrestrial animal biomass.
Lies form 10-90% of quoted statistics.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »

Not significant since it's written by the person who runs Indiecade, so of course she's going to hype up indie games.

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 09:07:43 PM »

Not significant since it's written by the person who runs Indiecade, so of course she's going to hype up indie games.

yeah that was my thoughts when I read it  :D
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 09:12:49 PM »

Which is not to say what she's saying doesn't have any truth -- I think there has been a slight increase in the popularity of independent games over the last few years, especially noticeable with Braid. But I don't think they're all the big publishers are really "flocking" to indie developers.

Corpus
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 01:38:16 PM »

It's called playing it cool.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »

Which is not to say what she's saying doesn't have any truth -- I think there has been a slight increase in the popularity of independent games over the last few years, especially noticeable with Braid. But I don't think they're all the big publishers are really "flocking" to indie developers.

Except for EA, of course. Unless you missed that post.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic