Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 08:02:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChasm [2d action-rpg platformer]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Chasm [2d action-rpg platformer]  (Read 112300 times)
CharsAce
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »

Saw this on Steam Greenlight and had to investigate, because it doesn't feel like it belongs on Steam and I voted no. Desura, though? All for it.

Initial impressions weren't as positive for me, though. The guy put on a helmet in the first video but it didn't show up on the character. Bad, bad form! Also, I got bored just by watching that little video. All rooms are so similar. This isn't 1985 anymore. This game is in danger of become very repetetive without enough variation, even if it's just stuff in the background.

Also, the Greenlight page says PC, Mac, Linux, but on your blog you have stuff about XNA? Which is it?

I'm cautiously optimistic, because although I don't care for Metroid, Wonderboy in Monsterland is one of my favorite games and nobody has been able to replicate it yet (and I know you're not aiming to, but it's similar enough). You haven't won me over yet, but I will be keeping a watch on this thread. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, now I noticed Mono. Not a fan, but I guess some people like it.
You're joking right? The game looks good so far. Your attitude is the problem with green light.

Are you using polygon collision for this or pixel perfect collisions?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:57:24 PM by CharsAce » Logged
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »

Are you using polygon collision for this or pixel perfect collisions?

No polygons in this one. The world collisions are done by checking pixels against a collision map, and everything else is just using simple rectangles for now. I may eventually add in polygons for attacks and stuff, I guess we'll see what's needed. I have more info about my terrain handling in this blog post: http://discordgames.com/?p=2221

Today has been a slow day of research and being tired :D I've been studying up on conversation systems, how to store dialog, quests, etc. Nothing too exciting, but I want to get in a basic dialog system very soon.
kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »

Good stuff!

I just watched the 3rd development video, looks really cool! The graphics are outstanding.

The gameplay in the dungeon at this early stage still seems a bit repetitive and unexciting as the rooms are mostly empty and there's not much to do besides running. But that's okay. ;-)

One tiny remark regarding the graphics: I find the eyeball of the one monster type to look too flat, it has too much of a white 2D filled circle look to it. What do you think?
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »

I've voted too. Gl and I hope to see this game on Steam.
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2013, 06:12:03 PM »

If you want some help balancing everything, I'd be very happy to give it a shot! I've analyzed action platformers pretty much my whole life, with the goal of finding the most overpowering tactic (Jet Kirby in Superstar's Arena, Aurora Star in Copy Kitty's Endless Mode).

Plus this looks like it will play like 'vania and I can definitely break that.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2013, 06:24:31 PM »

If you want some help balancing everything, I'd be very happy to give it a shot! I've analyzed action platformers pretty much my whole life, with the goal of finding the most overpowering tactic (Jet Kirby in Superstar's Arena, Aurora Star in Copy Kitty's Endless Mode).

Plus this looks like it will play like 'vania and I can definitely break that.

Awesome! Yea I will definitely need help with that in the coming months. It's still a bit early considering there's only two enemies :D
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2013, 02:28:58 AM »

For "placeholder" art, this is pretty impressive work. The scenario design smells pretty vanilla still (I suppose if the wheel isn't broken, huh?). What kinds of gameplay mechanics are you planning on spicing this puppy up with?

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »

For "placeholder" art, this is pretty impressive work. The scenario design smells pretty vanilla still (I suppose if the wheel isn't broken, huh?). What kinds of gameplay mechanics are you planning on spicing this puppy up with?

I'm just focused on getting the combat as tight as possible for now, then I'm going to be adding some actual dangerous platforming, traps, and other interesting stuff to die by. Once we get all that in in the next month or so, guess we'll see where we stand :D

Btw, most of the art in the game isn't placeholder anymore, I think it's moved up to "work in progress" level :D
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »

Voted for this on Greenlight. Best of luck guys!

Thank you!

Quick update: I've been pretty quiet this week, been focused on the quest and dialog systems. I've never made a game with either of these features, so just been studying up on stuff and deciding what to do. I'm actually hitting the IDE tonight, so we'll see what happens :D

Also, Greenlight has been insane! We're 70% of the way to the Top 100 in only a week. No clue where these votes are coming from since we've had no major media support at all. It's an awesome mystery for sure.
thersus
Level 0

Sometimes I'm grumpy, sometimes I'm not.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »

This is amazing, both the game itself and the devlog, with constant updates. Are you guys working fulltime on the game?
Will vote yes on gl when I get back to the pc or laptop Smiley

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »

This is amazing, both the game itself and the devlog, with constant updates. Are you guys working fulltime on the game?
Will vote yes on gl when I get back to the pc or laptop Smiley

Thanks man! Yea, I am working full-time on it. I quit my corporate job last spring to focus on this stuff more, but I still do some part-time contract work (.net app development) to help make ends meet. Tony has school, so he rocks the pixels whenever he gets a chance on nights and weekends Wink
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: January 19, 2013, 02:45:50 AM »

Also, Greenlight has been insane! We're 70% of the way to the Top 100 in only a week. No clue where these votes are coming from since we've had no major media support at all. It's an awesome mystery for sure.

Metroid-vania fans all around the world are voting for Chasm  Grin

Please do not disappoint us  Beg

(kiddin')

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 19, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »

Voted up!
siskavard
« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2013, 09:05:57 AM »

Just voted. Can't wait to play.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2013, 09:58:03 AM »

Metroid-vania fans all around the world are voting for Chasm  Grin

Please do not disappoint us  Beg

(kiddin')

Voted up!

Just voted. Can't wait to play.

Thank you so much guys. Just woke up today to see we're at 75%! If things hold steady we'll be in the top 100 in just a couple more days.. crazy  Shocked
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2013, 11:57:58 AM »

Showing my love, up-voted!

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2013, 05:51:31 PM »

You guys got on PCGamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/23/chasm-is-a-stunning-sidescrolling-action-rpg-set-you-guessed-it-in-a-mine/

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »

I'm still alive!

The past week was crazy. Jimi, the music/sound guy, came down and worked for a few days with me on new music, sound effects, and design stuff like story, characters, dialogue, etc. I feel like we accomplished quite a bit, so you should be seeing the fruits of those efforts soon.

In the meantime, I've been working on everything from the quest system, dialogue, a bed to rest in, a locker to store items, a new inventory screen, new screen transitions, revamped door system, and much more. Unfortunately, a lot of work has still been rewriting prototype code, but I guess that's the price you pay for Agile development!

Here's the new inventory that allows you to directly use items:

The new Locker that allows you to store stuff you don't want to carry:

Also, Tony recently did another pass on the surface palette:

Lastly, we did get a little story in PC Gamer, and broke the Top 100 games on Greenlight! I still can't believe that one, especially this early! I'll have more soon..
siskavard
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2013, 09:37:37 PM »

Oh snap! Epileptic
Caran Elmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2013, 12:24:44 AM »

but I guess that's the price you pay for Agile development!

Indeed it is, but I bet everyone here can see the wonderful results. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to play this on my xbox Hand Any KeyCheesyHand Joystick

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic