Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:28:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage 1: Outer Wall (Cavestory)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage 1: Outer Wall (Cavestory)  (Read 32234 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2008, 04:44:11 PM »

The stat bars should not be affected by the scrolling. I just wanted to release the camera demo and didn't have time to fix it.

What they said. Smoother would be nice, but still awesome nonetheless.
I agree that the camera can be a little schizophrenic now. It kind of flips out when you die, for example. I'm working on trying to make it smoother, but if you have any suggestions on how to do this, I'd like to hear them.

Mentalpatient109
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2008, 06:06:23 PM »

I think it looks great. It only really looks not so good when the two players are basically touching each other.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2008, 06:43:41 PM »

oh..
yeah i made it just to exemplify my idea..
its pretty much bad, i was just trying to show that small tiles are ugly, compared to big ones, because of the world scale, between the cave story world and the indie brawl world.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2008, 07:18:18 PM »

Brilliant. Works perfectly. And there I was, imagining pixel deformation, or copy upon copy of sprite sheet.

We totally have to go with this.
increpare
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »

I think it works quite well.  If you're looking for a suggestion as to how to smooth it, what about giving the camera an acceleration as well as a velocity, and have the camera accelerate towards its desired position (at some rate proportional to its 'distance' from that position) rather than moving linearly?
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2008, 08:47:08 PM »

Thank god the fellow artists supported my possision on zoom in zoom out...i think that what Anabelle + Xion said, pretty much sum up my toughts on the matter.

The demo looks mighty nice Smiley
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2008, 11:40:04 PM »

yeah!!! the camera! i just got a chance to play it looking great, if it were smoother itd be great, but even just get some paralax on there to get some depth going and im very impressed great work!
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2008, 12:01:09 AM »

accelerate towards its desired position (at some rate proportional to its 'distance' from that position) rather than moving linearly?
That's how I always do my cameras. Simple as setting the camera's speed to the distance between where it is and where its going divided by something (or something).

As for the growth rate of the view...Maybe the same concept could be applied?

FoxBlitzz
Level 0

Watch out! Bad Klik & Play graphics!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2008, 12:08:23 AM »

The zoom out speed needs to be a lot faster than the zoom in speed. When the camera zooms in, you can already see all the characters, but when it scales back out, it's doing so because one of the characters is in danger of leaving the view. If you move the screen as slowly as you have currently, it will greatly hinder one's ability to play the game. As for the rate, I'd say about one fourth to one third of a second might be a decent timeframe between the start and absolute desination.
Corpus
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2008, 01:21:49 AM »

What? That doesn't mean it can't still be pretty. Undecided

No, I was agreeing with you. I mean that the focus is on making a pretty game, not a pixel-purist game.

EDIT: Yeah, zoom looks nice. Needs a lot of polishing, obviously, but it's a great little demo.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 01:30:16 AM by Corpus » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2008, 02:42:31 AM »

The scaling itself seemed lovely to me. However, it was extremely laggy on my computer. On the very edge of unplayable.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2008, 02:50:40 AM »

Woah, that's strange, it ran fine in mine.

Although I had some lag related problems with Game Maker in the past which were easily fixed with a simple system reboot. Yeah, don't ask me why, but it did work.

Hopefully it will solve your problem.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2008, 03:38:28 AM »

oh..
yeah i made it just to exemplify my idea..
its pretty much bad, i was just trying to show that small tiles are ugly, compared to big ones, because of the world scale, between the cave story world and the indie brawl world.

You do realize that they were talking about the camera, and not your tiles, right?

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2008, 07:40:35 AM »

The scaling itself seemed lovely to me. However, it was extremely laggy on my computer. On the very edge of unplayable.
This is odd. It runs at exactly the same speed it did before for me. Restarting your computer might fix it.

medieval
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2008, 07:45:55 AM »

Chutup, you're having trouble with GM games more often, don't you?
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2008, 08:36:21 AM »

You do realize that they were talking about the camera, and not your tiles, right?

i realized it long after it was too late haha.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »

As I played with a friend today the level seemed to get quite small after a while. I imagine especially when there are more people playing it, it could get crowded very easily.
So since we have much less size restriction the level could probably be easily doubled in height to give a more 'vertical' feeling of the Outer Wall.
Anyone feeling like doing some level design? Smiley

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
shig
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2008, 01:04:33 PM »

As I played with a friend today the level seemed to get quite small after a while. I imagine especially when there are more people playing it, it could get crowded very easily.

Same here.
That's what I was talking about when I said the stage was looking too cramped.

Maybe you guys could add a single big block on the far right of the stage so when you have been sent flying away beyond recovery you could still try to save your ass by landing on it.

Kinda like the floating Clouds on Yoshi's stage in SSB.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 01:16:10 PM by shig » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2008, 02:20:50 PM »

I'm all up for Outer Wall being an infinitely looping vertical scroller, always moving the camera up, forcing the player to move.
shig
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2008, 03:00:02 PM »

I'm all up for Outer Wall being an infinitely looping vertical scroller, always moving the camera up, forcing the player to move.
Ugh, no.
I hate these kinds of stage so damn much.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 03:09:18 PM by shig » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic