Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:13:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsF+-
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: F+-  (Read 5214 times)
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
F+-
« on: December 05, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »

F+- is a puzzle platformer where you flip the gravitational pull of the character in order to collect gems to so that you can progress to the next level. Peter Queckenstedt did the artwork  and William Robinson did all of the sounds affects and music. Also I'm a game making machine guys like you wouldn't even believe  Evil

Download Here
http://www.onepolygon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/F+-.zip

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:59:14 AM by Darren_D_Daley » Logged

Life sucks and then you die.
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:12:20 PM »

its great looking, though i wish the enemies flipped gravity as well to persue you, also, make different sprites for ones on the roof and on the floor?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 02:30:19 PM »

Sorry that's only a placeholder, the enemy sprites are actually supposed to be sprites those are just a hold over from the template I was working from.

Intravenous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 03:26:41 PM »

It's obviously early days for your project so there isn't much to say other than it's an interesting enough concept and I'm sure it could turn into something great.

I know this is a seriously more difficult thing to code but it would become seriously cool if you spun the world, instead of the player character, to keep gravity always down.
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »

That sounds like a pretty cool idea, but the level design is already built around the player being flipped by gravity.

Intravenous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »

Flipping the world rather than the player wouldn't make any difference to the level design. The gameplay would remain identical but it would just have a cool eyecatching effect.

If the game was in a 3D engine but using an orthographic 2D camera you could just spin the camera without effecting anything in the game really. It would just keep the player always head up and look damn cool.
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »

Well technically I could do this as I have a camera laying around in the project. Still though it seems like a lot of hassle for something which is essentially a visual effect.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »

I'm working on an asset list for the game, hopefully I'II get it done tonight and post it up here as well

Intravenous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »

You wouldn't need to do anything but rotate the camera would you? Everything would stay exactly the same. I understand it totally depends on how you have coded it all.

It would just be like parenting the camera to the player. If he turns the camera turns, but in reality he ends up staying the same way up on the screen with the world rotating.

You know, the world isn't really rotating. What is 'up' now in your game would still be 'up' afterwards as far as the code is concerned. The only thing rotating is the camera.

It's like if I turn my head upside down and look at my monitor. Nothing changed on my monitor, it's doing exactly the same as before, just my view of it changed.
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 02:42:17 PM »

Ok I get the general idea, but it's still not something I want the hassle of as I've gotten something up and running. The last thing I want is to have to re implement a feature unless it's necessary as I want to get the game completed

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »

Ok I've spent my last couple of evenings putting together an Todo list. So far I've come up with

ART--
Tileset for game
Idle frame, Player 64 X 64 pixels
Run animation, Player
Jump animation, Player
Rotation animation, Player
Dying animation, Player
Exit animation, Player/Exit
Spike Tile 64 x 64
Camera Sprite
Exit Tile 64 x 64 pixels
Reskinning of menu
Reskin credits screen
Maybe reconsider diemensions of things...

SOUND--
background music
sound character running
sound character flipping
sound player hitting ground
sound player dying
sound of player exiting  

PROGRAMMING--
Done - Ending Screen
Implemenation of Sound/Music
Done - Stop gap between dieing and restarting (screen flashes for a couple of seconds)
Modify menu system to take input for music levels
handle player position when dead

I've also been tweaking the friction in the current build in to allow more precision with character movement and the results are very positive.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:06:30 AM by Monkey_D_Daley » Logged

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »

I've found an artist willing to create assets, hurrah !! On the other fronts I'm still debating if I should show the range of the cameras and I'm also on the fence about about a saving system.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »

I've decided not to show the ranges as it would lessen the challenge in the game. It was built from the ground up to be difficult through the size of the levels and the instant restart. Saying that though I have made some changes to the range detection code as it was incredibly shitty and inconsistent, which lead to players being incredibly frustrated. I also may switch a couple of levels around to make the overall progression curve in the game better.   

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 05:04:58 AM »

Ok so after talking to the great @st33d I've decided to re map the buttons to the following. WASD for movement, Directional buttons for gravity flipping.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 02:14:23 PM »

Soooo I've added feedback for when the player dies, it feels pretty decent and the wait isn't too long (death animation play out time + 2 seconds). Next time I do an update I promise it will be something good  Durr...?

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 06:55:49 AM »

Ok I lied about the next update being interesting. I added a credits screen to the game, but I feel it transition onto it too sudden from the last level.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »

After showing the current build of the game off at London Indies I've decided to actually add a visual aid for the camera. Overall it works pretty well, if not a tad ugly, I need to playtest it the game again at some point to make sure it's still ok overall

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 04:56:06 AM »

So I've playtested the new build and it's going down a lot better than the original, so hurrah for me. Also I've finally picked up a sound designer and I've started logging bugs.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 04:38:28 AM »

I've spent a couple of hours adding music and sound effects to the latest build and the results are pretty promising. I was trying to decided if I should pause the music when the character dies. I proceeded to kill Gomez, Meat Boy, the guys from VVVVVV and Braid Evil.  Everyone else lets the music run when the character dies, so I will do the same for now. 

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »

So I've spent most of my weekend getting the sounds and music in. So far they work pretty well besides a couple of volume level issues and some minor bugs.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic