Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:52:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMr. Wave - Kirby-inspired platformer - Video! Alpha 0.9.9.2! Released 12/20/12
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mr. Wave - Kirby-inspired platformer - Video! Alpha 0.9.9.2! Released 12/20/12  (Read 2070 times)
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« on: December 07, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »

Hey there all! I'm new to the boards, but I figure I would start posting about my first and upcoming game with my startup company, Actos Games!

It's called Mr. Wave, and it's a Kirby-esque platformer where you can eat enemies to gain powers! I've been working on the game in Construct 2 for some time now, and I'm planning to release it on Android, PC, and iOS! I figure there's a lot of people out there who desire to play a Kirby-like, and I want to provide that!

MR. WAVE ALPHA 0.9.8 RELEASE

http://db.tt/Bt3yAnBe - Click here to play!

• Added animation for getting powers (power itself non-functional)
  • Enemies respawn
  • Layout changed, more pits added
  • More graphical changes

Controls are on the page, but if you can't see them:

A = Left
D = Right
Shift = Suck in enemies / shoot cooked shot
S = Absorb Enemies (Non-functional)
Space = Jump

Have fun!

Check it out and let me know what you all think! You can also keep track at http://actosgames.webs.com!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:42:04 PM by Ashodin » Logged

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 08:23:01 AM »

Just got in contact with my composer, and he'll be supplying some fresh beats for my game very soon. I'm thoroughly excited, to say the least, to actually have music over my gameplay!

One of the thoughts I think I'd share with you is one of the things any platformer should have especially in today's market:

Evolving levels.

What does this mean? Well, in platformers, especially after they ship, they often are shipped with a specific level pattern and level types. In today's world, however, with DLC and updates, I think platformers can be expanded and improved upon well beyond the original shipdate. One of the features of my game will including these evolving levels.

Some time after the release of the first world, I'm going to continue updating it with more routes, paths, powers, and secrets, so each time the game updates, you'll find more hidden things emerge as you progress through the world. It changes, evolves. The game won't be the same as it was when it was released, but it'll be richer, more fully realized.

This creates sort of anticipation toward the game in general. You can tease updates to the game before they happen, or make stealth updates that your fanbase would love to explore and find out what's going on.

Today I'm working on fully hooking up the controls and the big push towards making powers actually working, then it's entirely level design from there.

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 02:27:07 PM »

UPDATE for Today:

TREES exist in this game. I swear to you.

Can't tell whether I like darker or brighter trees better

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:48:59 PM by Ashodin » Logged

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »

Phew this took forever to make.

Another video, this time showing off the new additions to Woodlands!

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »

FINALLY. I finished the touch problems up on eating enemies, for good this time. Now all I have to do is hook up enemies getting sucked in, and I'm good to go. Good god that took forever.

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 11:42:15 PM »

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Absorbing Enemies Teaser Smiley

Very soon I will have powers working... yes!

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »

So works begins today on moving around with enemies being "cooked" in Mr. Wave. I'm so much more experienced with Construct 2 now than I was when I started, so I can effectively cut down the time needed to make this work than the basic controls. It's just basic animation changes based on the "state" Mr. Wave is in (enemies inside him or not).

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »

MR. WAVE ALPHA 0.9.4 RELEASE

• Can move around and fall in pits, Mr. Wave has infinite lives currently
  • Can eat enemies and spit them back out
  • Enemy on the left respawns when you are on the right of the current layout
  • Clouds move, trees move when you move
  • Applejumpers changed from red to green to fit future power colors

A = Left
D = Right
Space = Jump

Enjoy! Leave feedback and let me know how I'm doing! Touch controls currently don't work as well as keyboard controls, but that is to be expected. I wanted to get this into your guys' hands as quick as possible!

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »

Update

Changed the Wave animation to be more "visible".

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 11:53:08 AM »

Hey guys if you'd like to give me feedback on how it plays, I'd appreciate it as well. I need to figure out what bugs are in the game currently.

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 10:44:55 PM »

Coming soon... Smiley

HOT APPLESAUCE

I just have to tweak the animations to match and I'm good to go on making the actual power work. It's going to be so much fun!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:24:48 PM by Ashodin » Logged

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Box99
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 09:11:38 AM »

I'm not sure exactly why no one's commented on your thread, but whatever. I played the alpha you have up and got bored after about 15 seconds. The way the trees in the foreground are far more pixelated than the ones farther back bothers me. I didn't encounter any bugs during play. The fact that you're replacing Kirby with a microwave seems unoriginal to me? I don't know. It seems like you need some new ideas with this and not just "suck in food and spit out the cooked remains of said food". What if with each fruit or food you sucked in you gained super food themed powers? Or that may be where you're heading already. Anyway, good luck.
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »

I'm not sure exactly why no one's commented on your thread, but whatever. I played the alpha you have up and got bored after about 15 seconds. The way the trees in the foreground are far more pixelated than the ones farther back bothers me. I didn't encounter any bugs during play. The fact that you're replacing Kirby with a microwave seems unoriginal to me? I don't know. It seems like you need some new ideas with this and not just "suck in food and spit out the cooked remains of said food". What if with each fruit or food you sucked in you gained super food themed powers? Or that may be where you're heading already. Anyway, good luck.

That is in fact where I'm heading! Each enemy type will be able to give Mr. Wave certain powers, as well as other "moves" he will be able to perform with his Power Plug. Smiley

I'm sorry about you getting bored with the Alpha, but it's not going to have more of a level structure until I finish the controls and basic powers. I need to get everything all set up before I can work on level design, and your feedback is greatly appreciated. In fact, if you want to test out the method of gaining powers (except the power itself isn't implemented yet) I've updated the Alpha to my most recent build. This weekend I'll be working on actually making the power stick and work, as well as getting to actual level layout design!

I should also note that this is my first work with Construct 2 and everything is being made from scratch. I'll take a look and see if I can't make the trees better close up, but I'm not an expert with Pixel Art.

Gentleman

MR. WAVE ALPHA 0.9.8 RELEASE

• Added animation for getting powers (power itself non-functional)
  • Enemies respawn
  • Layout changed, more pits added
  • More graphical changes

A = Left
D = Right
Space = Jump

Have fun!

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 09:24:20 PM »

Demonstration video! Finally the power is done!

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Ashodin
Level 3

Building Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 01:41:38 PM »

MR. WAVE ALPHA 0.9.9.2 RELEASE

• Power! Hot Applesauce can be used! Press "S" to absorb the power and use it on the enemies for testing!
  • Changed some animations
  • More graphical changes

A = Left
D = Right
Space = Jump

Have fun! Let me know if there are any bugs!

Actos Games, LLC
psyscrolr
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic