Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:02:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsScraps: Modular Vehicle Combat - Vehicle combat with buildable vehicles
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Scraps: Modular Vehicle Combat - Vehicle combat with buildable vehicles  (Read 63904 times)
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: August 17, 2015, 12:33:06 PM »

Made a video of the Scraps Godlike AI being awesome in low-grav mode:

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 17, 2015, 04:57:24 PM »

what's the name of that song? It does not sound like darude sandstorm

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: August 17, 2015, 05:55:45 PM »

Doctor Vox - Level Up. I put it in the description. Smiley

It's Creative Commons so it's free to use as well, with attribution.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: August 19, 2015, 10:02:20 PM »

Working on full-turret versions of the MMG and Medium Cannon and a non-turret version of the Large Cannon.

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: August 24, 2015, 09:26:52 PM »

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: August 24, 2015, 10:54:10 PM »

looks awesome. only thing I think everytime: the shadows could be darker, I always sense a sort of disconnect between car and floor.
do you prevent turrets from shooting your own chassis, or do bullets just go through?

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: August 25, 2015, 02:22:25 AM »

looks awesome. only thing I think everytime: the shadows could be darker, I always sense a sort of disconnect between car and floor.
do you prevent turrets from shooting your own chassis, or do bullets just go through?

I agree, I was actually thinking that again the other day. Going to make shadows darker.

I prevent weapons moving to positions where they can shoot your own vehicle. Example:

The cannon in the bottom left is selected. Red + Blue shows its full movement range, but the red areas are currently blocked.

The calculation could be smarter than it is (it simply reduces the min and max values), but it's already pretty complex so it's Good Enough For Now™.

Edit with extra info: In the event that a weapon does hit something on your vehicle, although it never should, it will pass through and ignore it. You can damage yourself with splash damage from area-effect weapons hitting other things though.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:27:52 AM by Nition » Logged
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2015, 05:36:47 PM »

It's been a couple of weeks since the last update so I'd like to show what's going on, even though there's about a week remaining until the next update.

Large chassis:

Updated turret (full Y-axis rotation) versions of the MMG and Medium Cannon, and a non-turret version of the Large Cannon (cheaper, more snap points):

Plus game performance work. Objects made up of lots of smaller parts, many doing their own movement (turrets etc), all of which need to be able to detect hits individually and operate with appropriate physics has always been a bit of a challenge. I've worked out some potential tricks recently, and learnt a couple of others from people who are better wizards than I. Working on implementing that magic now.

Mac and Linux people, I have not forgotten you. I am putting a tentative release date for the Mac and Linux versions of Scraps at September 29th. Getting all that working perfectly will be the focus after this next update goes out next weekend.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: September 08, 2015, 05:12:28 PM »

Scraps version 0.5.2.0 is now live on Steam. I'll go into some more detail but here's the changelog first:

- Added full turret versions of the MMG and Medium Cannon, and a semi-fixed version of the Large Cannon. Balanced other weapons to match.
- Added Large Chassis.
- Some in-game CPU performance improvement, particularly for vehicles with many parts.
- Major in-game GPU performance improvement.
- Switched from DirectX9 to DirectX11.
- Increased max scrap limits a little (40,000->50,000 for 8 players. Select less Max Players for more).
- Build screen inventory shows a little icon next to turrets (weapons with full y-axis rotation).
- Small and Large sizes for the Proximity Firing mode.
- Made the spinning camera effect in menus much slower (it hurt some people's heads).
- Increased max suspension spring value by 25%.
- Darker shadows.
- More outlines on stuff.
- By popular request, leaderboard now only shows while the key (~ by default) is held.
- Background music for Round End and Game End screens.
- Other minor audio changes.
- Changed the angle calculation for projectile weapon trails - looks more "correct" when shot from moving vehicles.
- Added something to the Test Map?
Bug Fixes:
- In-game messages now show the correct amount of points a player earned from destroying another vehicle.
- Fixed weapon "can't fire" sound playing too much.

Weapons and Large Chassis

The new turret versions of the MMG and Medium Cannon can rotate fully around if the space is available, but cost a bit more. They should help in the early game against opponents who've unlocked other turret weapons. The semi-fixed version of the Large Cannon is cheaper and a little stronger.

One minor note: Currently in the "same type" weapon link mode, all the weapons are considered as different, whereas I'm sure it'd be better to have normal and turret types of the same weapon linked together. I'll change that in an update tomorrow.

Performance

The other major work in this update was on performance (check the changelog above for all the other, minor stuff).

I learned some graphics magic and implemented that to drastically reduce draw calls on the GPU, and graphics performance is now much improved. You might get a framerate that's improved 50% or more in some cases.

In fact GPU performance has got so much better, that the game is now often heavily CPU bound when dealing with complex vehicles with lots of weapons, mainly because of all the physics work. I also did some physics optimisation in this update, but it's not as drastic as the graphics improvement. I've pretty much optimised things as far as I can for now, and the next big step might be upgrading to Unity 5, since it's supposed to have improved physics performance. Unfortunately before I update the game to Unity 5 I need to write a custom wheel collider (or buy someone else's one), because the built-in wheel colliders have changed completely and can't work well with Scraps anymore.

Graphics Batching

A few technical details here, particularly for Unity devs. The graphics improvement came from being able to combine more vehicle parts.

Unity developers will probably know that static 3D models - things that never move at all - can be marked as Static and get automatically batched by the graphics engine. Separate meshes, as long as they use the same material with the same shader, can be combined into one draw call, which means less work for the graphics card (although I'm no expert on how this stuff works exactly).

All parts on Scraps vehicles use the same material. All the part textures are baked into one big texture atlas image (think like the Minecraft texture file, but much bigger), and data in the vertices of the parts themselves determines whether they're shiny or dull, or damaged, or hot - allowing the whole thing to use the same single shader.

But that's not enough to get batching working on its own. Unity can do a small amount of "dynamic batching" - batching for objects that aren't Static - but its limit is only a few hundred polygons. One vehicle part has a few hundred already.

On the Build screen, your vehicle is always made up of the individual parts that you've placed. But one thing I was already doing is taking all the parts on a vehicle that don't move (I mean, the whole vehicle moves, but those parts all move together with it) and combining them into one big combined mesh when you entered a game. Having one combined mesh is the final tipping point to getting everything batched and reducing the draw calls. (When parts get destroyed I zero the appropriate ones out.)

That helped, but I couldn't combine anything that moved on its own, like weapon turrets and spinning fans, and there was still a lot of that.

Here's the trick. Unity devs, listen up, because I know there are others out there searching for the same powers I was searching for. Even batching stuff on the Asset Store often does less than this.

You can combine everything, and have the GPU do the transforms directly on the vertices of the parts that move to put them wherever they need to be. Create one model and change the model as you go. You could write a shader to do it, but you don't even have to, because Unity has built-in support for it. Ever used SkinnedMeshRenderer to animate something with bones? The transforms of the separate moving vehicle parts can be the bones! The Unify Wiki even has an example of how to do the conversion!

So now I combine everything, and it's real fast. There is a little bit of overhead in doing the transforms: People with DirectX11 or newer cards, you'll be doing it on the GPU (Unity devs, check your Player settings for the checkboxed to enable this and DX11 mode). Those with DX9 or DX10 cards will be doing it on the CPU. But it's a small amount of extra work either way compared to the gains in total performance.

Please use these powers responsibly.

What's Coming

For the next few weeks I'll be working on the Mac and Linux versions, with a plan to hopefully release those publicly on the 28th or 29th of this month. I'll be seeing how crazy or sane that deadline actually is in the next couple of days as I start testing on those platforms again.

I'm also aware that the multiplayer has gone quiet recently. I always feel especially sorry for that lone person on a server when the stats read 1/8 (sometimes I join for a few minutes Smiley). I've been doing what I can with both some paid and unpaid marketing, and I have more to do, but the best thing I can really continue to do now is make the game as good as possible.

So the next major thing I'm currently planning to focus on after the Mac and Linux releases will be some expanded single-player content. I have a plan but I won't elaborate on that just now. That way even if things don't pick up multiplayer-wise there'll be more fun single-player stuff to do, so you shouldn't miss out too much either way.

Of course there's already the AI (and you can always Multiplayer -> Internet -> Host A Game with AI to play against, that's open to humans to join as well), and the Scraps demo can also join LAN games - so only one person needs to own the full version to play on LAN. Or if you can find some people that do have the full version, you can also host your own Internet games and they can join.

Thanks for continuing to follow Scraps. Smiley
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: September 17, 2015, 09:32:35 PM »

Just a short announcement that the Scraps Mac and Linux versions are set for a Monday September 28th release on Steam, and are looking good.

Some Scraps players on the forum have also been organising a time to join multiplayer, so if you want to get in some multiplayer when there're people on, check out this thread: http://forum.scrapsgame.com/t/weekly-games/335

The scheduled one right now is for 8pm EDT on the 19th. That's midnight UTC. Here's a timezone converter that should tell you when that is in your local time.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:40:46 PM by Nition » Logged
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2015, 08:13:59 PM »

Actually had lots of people on for the organised game above. Would be good to do it again sometime.

I did some recording while I was on:

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2015, 03:14:51 PM »

Good times testing in the editor with debug lines on.

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2015, 10:58:34 PM »

Have been testing Scraps with multiplayer on Windows, Mac and Linux machines all in the same game simultaneously today. Quite pleased with how smoothly it's all working.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: September 21, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »

Enemy ship spotted on the horizon.

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: September 23, 2015, 11:33:18 PM »

Early progress on a new map.

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: September 25, 2015, 11:18:47 PM »

The Scraps "weekly game" is happening again this week, where everyone is invited to join the multiplayer at roughly the same time to get some people on playing together.

The main one is again at 8pm EDT on Saturday (that's midnight UTC). But if that's out of your timezone or you just want to play twice, try coming on 12 hours earlier at 8am EDT (midday Saturday UTC).

I've added both to the Steam events calendar which should also auto-convert to your timezone: http://steamcommunity.com/games/350150/events
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: September 26, 2015, 03:42:37 PM »

People are starting to filter in for the weekly game time. Come join!

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: September 27, 2015, 07:27:01 PM »

Scraps repository visualisation of development so far:

This is a visualisation of files in the scraps version control repository over time using a tool called Gource. It's missing the first few months of development where I was using a different repository, hence the early file-splosion.

Apparently I set the speed a bit too fast for Gource to keep up with the dates: The early big influx of files is an initial import (stuff from the previous repo), and then it keeps going a bit after the present date is reached at the end. I didn't actually travel to the future yet (waiting till October 21 for that).
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: September 28, 2015, 06:35:54 PM »

Right, packages are updated, depots uploaded, game updated etc and Scraps versions for Mac and Linux are now available alongside Windows. They're all fully cross-compatible so you should be able to play in the same game with people from all three OS's.

There are just a few known issues right now:

Known Issues

Windows:
- None.

Mac:
- When playing singleplayer or hosting a multiplayer game, a Scraps Server icon appears and sits bouncing in the dock.

Linux:
- MSAA anti-aliasing settings may not work in-game. You may be able to work around this by manually enabling AA in your graphics driver settings. e.g. For Radeon cards, open Catalyst Control Center and go to 3D -> Anti-Aliasing, then set Mode to "Override application settings" and set Level where you like (4x is nice).
- On multi-monitor setups, screen resolutions may show up as options that are higher than your main monitor's resolution. If selected they'll look wrong and you'll just need to change it back to a lower resolution.

Changes

I've also had time to make a few updates to the game:

Aiming

This was partly a performance choice (the new system requires a few less checks), but the aiming system now works a little differently. Whereas all the little weapon cross-hairs used to show what they'd actually hit if firing in a straight line, they now essentially just show the aim direction of that weapon. Theoretically that sounds worse, but in practice the old system was often a bit confusing when trying to aim at something, and it caused some issues like getting really close to a vehicle and having your cross-hairs sort of sweep out of the "proximity aiming" circle range. Bullet drop from some weapons also sort of negated its usefulness. See what you think.

Aiming things with a camera that's at a different place than the things is always a little complicated. Some games just cheat and shoot everything straight out of the camera, but that causes some other issues - you get people doing stuff like shooting over walls they're hiding behind.

Health info for key parts

As shown above. Gives a better idea of things than just the damage textures. Showing health for all parts on the vehicle is a bit much, but the cockpit and chassis are the ones that actually get you destroyed, and they also tend to have the most HP, so they're useful to see in more detail.

The labels and icons over enemy vehicles fade in and out at different distances, to try and avoid blocking your view. All the bars are also sized based on total HP - that is, stuff with more HP starts with a bigger bar, and the same amount of damage will also take off the same chunk.

Blocks

Lots more basic block shapes.

Full Changelog

2015-09 - 0.5.2.5
- Added cross-platform Mac and Linux OS support!
- Updated player name labels and added health info for their key parts under the label.
- Also added health info for the player's own key parts into the GUI.
- Rounded off the bridge on SandyBridge a little (less getting stuck on the corner).
- Reticles (crosshairs) for active weapons now show them aiming at infinity, instead of showing them on what they'll actually hit if firing straight.
- Added several additional basic blocks.
- The "wealth multiplier" that increases costs for rich players now (more logically) only takes vehicle value into account, rather than total wealth.
- Vehicle scrap value now also takes part damage into account (damaged parts have less value).
- Reduced max collision damage a little.
- Updated Russian translation text.
- When choosing an initial game resolution, if your native res is ridiculously high (looking at you, Retina displays!), the game looks for a good lower one at the same ratio so you're not squinting at tiny menus. On Linux Scraps will actually start windowed the first time it boots instead to avoid the following known issue. You can still set fullscreen and any resolution in the game options.
Bug Fixes:
- Scrolling the inventory no longer also zooms the vehicle camera.
- Fixed a server memory leak that I accidentally introduced in the previous release.
- Fixed loading text not updating to the new language right away when the language was changed.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: October 03, 2015, 03:41:46 PM »

Scraps v0.5.2.7 http://www.scrapsgame.com/scraps-v0-5-2-7

Also not sure if the "weekly game" will happen this week but if people come it will happen. Join Scraps MP in about 15 minutes from right now.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic