Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412072 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 25, 2024, 02:34:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessDouble feature in gaming
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Double feature in gaming  (Read 708 times)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2012, 07:12:08 AM »

Double feature - has it been done in games? This used to be done in films and today some music acts still do that. Either for artistic reasons or to cut costs, not sure.

By double feature I mean pairing up games and releasing them as one, mini-bundle of sorts, but on a deeper level not just zipping them up into one file. They could be similar in theme or they could share a bit of storyline/universe. It could also be a small rather unknown game and a large popular game together, like a warm-up artist at music shows. This could help bring the small release into the spotlight. If two developers collaborated like that it could also mean more publicity because instead of each promoting their own thing they would focus on one thing. Plus a couple of first times it would be rather unique I think and gaming press could be interested in that. One downside I can see is that people could think the games are too weak to stand out on their own (or poor in quality) so that's why they are released together. If the games really complement each other I can see this working. What do you think?

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:17:56 AM »

Isn't that the point of bundles (with or without "pay what you want" system)?

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:24:17 AM »

Bundles are a third-party release, not developers joining forces and sharing a conjoining idea or something more meaningful.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 07:26:54 AM »

What you mean is for example I make a RTS in space, you make one on planet and they happen in the same universe but are different and we sell them together?

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 07:44:11 AM »

It could be interesting if games could share something between them like Pokemon or Zelda Oracles did.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:48:01 AM »

What you mean is for example I make a RTS in space, you make one on planet and they happen in the same universe but are different and we sell them together?

Yes, that could work but I think if they're both RTS's they'd be too similar, so not really what I mean. Imagine your game explores the subject of being and going through life alone. I think it would create a great dynamic if the other game explored the subject of trying to find solitude in the crowded world of today. The first game could be a side-scroller about a lone alien and the other game's a puzzler where you try to clear your game board of something and something else keeps messing it up again. Or whatever. Not a very meaningful example but I'm not much of an idea man.

alts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 01:07:21 AM »

I like the premise (if done somewhat akin to Grindhouse), but I think that the omnipresence of  indie bundles have really desensitized people to this kind of idea. If a pair of games were notable enough as a unit to pierce through that boredom that many critics have towards "bundles", then I imagine they'd be sufficiently good that they'd do well as stand alone games. I think that thematically linked game releases would do well within the indie community itself, but wouldn't necessarily impact their reception by wider audiences.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic