Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:46:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingWriting for minority: resource dump thread
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Writing for minority: resource dump thread  (Read 3059 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:31:07 AM »

I heard the writing section didn't get enough love, so I put people who don't get enough love in your thread that hasn't enough love, yo dawg!

Gee, I don’t know how to research writing Characters of Color tastefully:

http://fuckyeahethnicwomen.tumblr.com/post/35570509481/gee-i-dont-know-how-to-research-writing-characters-of

http://fuckyeahethnicwomen.tumblr.com/post/35553793545/added-definitions-you-should-take-note-of-the-rfo
http://fuckyeahethnicwomen.tumblr.com/post/35552930102/added-definitions-you-should-take-note-of-the-rfo

Unofficial compo: write about minorities by researching how they feel
http://fuckyeahethnicwomen.tumblr.com/post/35518803866/why-i-hate-and-cant-stand-the-term-filipino-or
http://fuckyeahethnicwomen.tumblr.com/post/35478243084/apihtawikosisan-jeremysingerart-navajo-girl

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 07:27:20 AM »

whoa, thanks for linking this up, useful information.

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 10:45:12 AM »

Some great resources in the first link. Thanks for posting these.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 01:22:32 PM »

http://fuckyeahethnicwomen.tumblr.com/post/45877975899/update-cultural-appropriation-dos-and-donts

How to do cultural appropriation

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:51:38 AM »

I didn't read any of the links above but I need to reply with this general message that I spread because I see this topic pop up in just about every creative community I frequent and I'll be blunt: telling other people how to represent your culture is dumb.

Why? Because for every culture I see griping about not being portrayed accurately my immediate reaction is: What are you doing about it besides complaining? The answer is 99 times out of a 100 NOTHING!!!

OKay. That said people who feel they need to be portrayed better in popular media need to go out there and actively create the works that they feel this world is missing out on.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »

It's pretty evident you didn't read and that you have no respect for other and also you are not educated on the issue at all. People are doing things, it just happen that they do not have the power or/and they are marginalized and /or people rip their idea off and removing anything of substance.

Saying we do nothing is stupid, when I said I was doing something with my culture I was told why I don't do something more "universal" ie that cater to the dominant minority.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »

Oh boy, I'm just dying to read some articles on someone's tumblr with tags like "a guide for whiny white people who can't use google".

Can't fucking wait.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 02:51:29 PM »

Then stop asking people to not make game that aren't universal enough for your taste, that's rude that's way you get scold.

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 06:30:46 PM »

It's pretty evident you didn't read and that you have no respect for other and also you are not educated on the issue at all. People are doing things, it just happen that they do not have the power or/and they are marginalized and /or people rip their idea off and removing anything of substance.

Saying we do nothing is stupid, when I said I was doing something with my culture I was told why I don't do something more "universal" ie that cater to the dominant minority.

I said outright I didn't read it, I spoke only on the general topic. I'm heavily educated on this "issue" and have come to terms that it is only an issue for people who turn it into one. I know full well the adversity those who are doing things are facing and what I am saying simply equates to "Less Talk, More Do"

And yeah, I believe that most people who talk end up doing what amounts to nothing save making issues when they could be using that energy to make works.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »

Where do you have such evidence that there is notrhing they do? I see plenty evidence of the contrary and evidence of discouraging any such attempts. "Less talk more do" is just another way to say shut up! And even when we do something people still question it and try to hide it. You say you are educated, but that's talking too.

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »

By educated I mean experienced. I'll say this my view is based entirely on experience. I know there are people doing things, and from what it sounds like you're probably one of them so don't be offended by what I say, instead put it into perspective.

Think about all the people in your culture, and how often you hear people complain about not being represented properly. Now think of how many of them are actually representing. Not many, right?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »

That's a chicken and eggs problem. That's true for those who are represented, how many people who are of the dominant culture are representing? a small part, that's why being educated on the issue is important, all those aspect has been thought, weighted and then only we reach conclusion.

Look at gamer, how often are we correctly representing on show and series? Now try to tell me that gamer aren't trying, that's false, that's one of the most active community.

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »

the gamer example sort of raises my point. gamers have become mainstream, where we were once nerds only, now it is cool to be a nerd.

another thing, I don't care who is the dominant culture. It doesn't even register as a thing to think about when making something that represents my culture.

For example: If someone wants to make something about my culture and horribly fail at it in my view, but that thing ends up creating something that is successful, well that's not something I'm going to get upset about.

I think it is more fruitful to be able to produce something that I think represents my culture and would inspire others to do what I think would be abetter job, than it would be to tell other people how to do it.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 07:35:47 PM »

The dominant culture was used not as a way to blame them but too point that the representing problem is not a real argument. Talking also help raising awareness, also the point is that if you are going to depict someone you should do some homework (hence the link) instead of relying on whatever offensive tropes that permeate the culture. Those has nothing to do if we want or not DO something on ourselves. So the point still stand against your initial assumption. Saying it's stupid to point at relevant data is not really polite.

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »

Ah, sorry for being rude with what you're doing. Keep on keepin on.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 08:03:20 PM »

Thanks Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic