Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:44:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralNintendo Announces WiiWare
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Announces WiiWare  (Read 9649 times)
Tennis
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2007, 05:30:13 AM »

http://kotaku.com/gaming/it.s-official/nintendo-announces-wiiware-272683.php

pretty exciting stuff :D

"Nintendo's WiiWare Paves The Way For Fresh Games, Cool Consumer Experiences Nintendo Sets a New Paradigm: One Game Can Still Make a Difference

SANTA MONICA, Calif., June 27 /PRNewswire/ -- The search for the next ingeniously ground-breaking video game has begun. At a private developers conference this week, Nintendo announced the introduction of WiiWare(TM), a game-creation service that will allow developers large and small to create new downloadable video game content for sale by Nintendo through the Wii Shop Channel of the hot Wii(TM) home video game system. WiiWare paves the way for smaller, more creative games to make their way to the public at lower prices, without any inventory risk to developers. The first WiiWare content will launch in early 2008.

"Independent developers armed with small budgets and big ideas will be able to get their original games into the marketplace to see if we can find the next smash hit," says Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "WiiWare brings new levels of creativity and value to the ever-growing population of Wii owners."

The possibilities for WiiWare are limited only by the imaginations of developers. WiiWare provides game creators a simple method by which they can get their games to the public. This approach, combined with the remarkable motion controls of the Wii Remote(TM) and Nunchuk(TM), will give birth to fresh takes on established genres, as well as original ideas that currently exist only in developers' minds. The reduced barriers to development provide developers the freedom to create and an inexpensive, clearly defined path to reach consumers who will ultimately determine which game will become the Next Big Thing.

WiiWare will be posted on the Wii Shop Channel. As with current Wii Shop Channel offerings, users will redeem Wii Points(TM) to download content. It will support a variety of pricing options. Details about that and upcoming projects will be announced at a later date. For more information about Wii, visit http://www.Wii.com."

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 06:02:43 AM »

Now this is actualy good news... Thanks for pointing it out!

Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 06:02:48 AM »

Sounds sassy.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 06:15:44 AM »

this is way overdue.
cant wait to see what comes out of that.
i for one would love to develop for wii on my own terms.
but the "get your own ESRB rating" thing sounds scary.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 06:20:35 AM »

Why can't we just trust people to judge what's appropriate for them?

ARG.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 06:27:40 AM »

Dammit! So I won't be able to make a hardcore hentai game for the wii? What's the point of having a motion remote if you can't develop that???

Wink

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 06:34:22 AM »

Why can't we just trust people to judge what's appropriate for them?

ARG.

what are you, satanic?

i cant wait for devs to come out and tell us their stories of working with the big N for this thing. cant wait to see nintendo's attitude. it all sounds good on paper, courting the indies and all that. cant wait to see how this whole thing develops.
hopefully, the wii will become THE place for original content, unlike XBLA with all its retro-remakes, and PSN with all its HD this and HD that.

im expecting great things.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 06:39:05 AM »

Should be good, as long as it's close to the full Wii SDK and not just a NES framework or something. I wouldn't put it past them to only allow pointing or something.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 06:46:36 AM »

Nintendo's in a position to do great things. Let's hope they don't blow it.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 07:08:06 AM »

lets hope they throw lots of money at all of us!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 07:39:57 AM »

True, I hope Nintendo gives us something interesting to work with and how they will react to indie developpers.

Guess we'll have to see what will be offered when it launches...

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 07:55:55 AM »

I think this is more like Live Arcade than the XNA Creators Club. Still really, really open for anyone with a few bucks in their pocket, but 12-year-olds aren't going to get to release derivative garbage for it.

Of course, the gaming blogs don't understand this concept, and so...  Roll Eyes

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 08:06:14 AM »

Either way it seems like a good idea. It will be interesting to see how they actually go about soliciting content.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 09:12:13 AM »

Should be good, as long as it's close to the full Wii SDK and not just a NES framework or something. I wouldn't put it past them to only allow pointing or something.

I would LOVE it if they released an NES framework!!

cup full of magic charisma
CosMind
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 09:30:15 AM »

oh, shoot.  this is indeed happy news, as someone might actually create a wii game that i give a flip about.

in fact, i might get to finally open the box for the wii i got on launch day  Smiley
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 08:15:23 PM »

Dammit! So I won't be able to make a hardcore hentai game for the wii? What's the point of having a motion remote if you can't develop that???
This is exactly what came to my mind when Nintendo officially stated they would not release AO rated games for their systems.  I have a ton of Wii and DS game ideas, but I'm sure about 90% of them would get AO ratings. Most of them are probably Dokidoki Majo Saiban clones though. Its out next week!
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 08:43:04 PM »

I'd make a Rodney King simulator, to be honest.

Then I'd be in jail.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 12:17:57 AM »

Although I love Nintendo and the Wii (at least in theory, I haven't actually bought a Wii yet) I'm still in 'wait and see what the details are' mode. Nintendo has traditionally been pretty ruthless toward its third parties in its terms, but maybe they're different now with their new CEO.

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 06:41:15 AM »

Wa Wa Wii Ware!

I'm slightly worried about this. It sounds a bit like a catch 22 in some ways: "Yes, you are free to take on board a huge risk developing a game without our say so, so long as you already have a devkit, which means you're already working on a game which has gotten our say so."

It's lowering one barrier to entry, but only for people who already HAVE a development kit... removing the publisher as a middleman. I heard somewhere (I think here, maybe!) that Nintendo are pretty damn unlikely to give a development kit to someone who doesn't have their own office, and works in their bedroom/garage instead (i.e. introversion may be the only "indie" who can get a wii devkit - and they hate consoles, so that's unlikely).

So, for all intents and purposes, this sounds a bit like yet another "Officially open, unoffically closed" things - a PR stance telling people that you're encouraging innovation and indies, but actually, the truth is that they're still pretty unforgiving about what goes on. Not that this is much different from all the other platforms' approaches.

I'm not meaning to criticize this... I welcome it, of course. I'm just saying don't get your hopes to high about doing Wii dev in your bedroom next year. There are still major hurdles.

The thing is, when you think about it, there is zero chance of any of the consoles properly opening their doors - no platform holder can, with sound mind, give people access to the nuts and bolts of the system for fear of malicious use... console virus, piracy etc. The only thing you can really criticize them for is how they're maybe making themselves out to be more charitable than they actually are.

---

I still reckon we all need some kind of physical indie commune where we pitch our tents together and share expertise and devkits and whatnot... one for europe and one for the americas (because of america's insane immigration laws).

Then again, indies exist because of/despite regimented structure, so maybe it's a fallacy to think that this commune idea could work.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 07:45:40 AM »

The commune idea could work actually, if it were just a place to stay and work and a place with shared rent and food, and not a place where the projects themselves were shared or where they even got too involved in each other's projects except in unofficial temporary alliances. It worked for Osamu Tezuka -- he rented an apartment building and filled it with manga artists, many of whom went on to be great ones.

There are other problems with it, but I don't think anyone should dismiss it so easily just cause it sounds hippie. Families are communes too, technically; a commune is just be like a family, without being related, so it'd have many of the problems families have.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic