Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:27:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPolycode
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Polycode  (Read 36601 times)
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »

Can't wait to try this!

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »

This looks really awesome and cool. I'm hoping to be able to pick it up and learn it when it comes out!

How easy/hard should it be to get into for someone who's only worked with Game Maker but has dabbled briefly in Java and C++ and stuff? I don't know if this has been asked, but how does resources like sprites and stuff work? Like do you load it into the program or put it in a folder?

Best of luck to you for making this!! :D
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2013, 08:20:05 AM »

I, too, would like to try it. I really like what I'm seeing so far!

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »

This looks really awesome and cool. I'm hoping to be able to pick it up and learn it when it comes out!

How easy/hard should it be to get into for someone who's only worked with Game Maker but has dabbled briefly in Java and C++ and stuff? I don't know if this has been asked, but how does resources like sprites and stuff work? Like do you load it into the program or put it in a folder?

Best of luck to you for making this!! :D

The resources are added to the project as files and are accessed from code by their file names. When you export the project, everything gets compiled into a single file (something like a SWF or a JAR file).

I havent used GameMaker, so it's hard for me to say how easy it would be for you, but I'm trying to make it as straightforward as possible.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2013, 12:42:42 PM »

Alrighty! Thank you for answering my question. It seems easy enough. Having it be straightforward is a great idea!

I'm hyped for this. Best of luck!
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »

Binaries aren't quite there yet, but I put the new Polycode site up:

http://polycode.org/

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2013, 11:57:59 AM »

Binaries aren't quite there yet, but I put the new Polycode site up:

http://polycode.org/

Exciting.

Epileptic

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »

great looking site

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2013, 12:50:54 PM »

Maybe except forums. Too high simplicity level doesn't look good to me  Concerned

motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »

Sweet, I'm looking forward to this.  Tried to get a jumpstart by looking at the source on github a while back but had issues with building the dependancies.  I can wait for the binaries to become available though. 

The website is looking really nice btw, good job  Coffee
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2013, 02:04:40 PM »

This looks great! You did a wonderful job with the docs. Very clean and thorough!

alts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2013, 02:27:08 PM »

This looks fantastic. I've been using Love2D for a while, and I love it. This strikes me as being a bit more batteries included, which will certainly be an upgrade over my homegrown utilities.

PolyCode seems to be pretty opinionated about class based inheritance schemes. I took a look at the Lua API, and it looks like there isn't too much magic happening in the `class` function. Would you advise users against trying to use Polycode in a strictly prototypal manner?

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »

The Lua class system is kind of purposefully barebones. Most of its magic happens in the binding from Lua to C++, but the Lua-side class system is kept very minimal, and really is most there to provide a sensible extension of the C++ classes. But yeah, the idea is that you should use Lua  in the way that makes most sense to you.

I looked at a lot of Lua class implementations before writing this one and I think it strikes a good balance between usability and unintrusiveness.

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2013, 05:16:21 PM »

I have one great suggestion for Polycode. I don't know if it's already possible but you should be able to place physics objects (colliders) in the editor. That is something that is not in any of the free/oss engines/editors whereas it's standard in all the "pro" engines. That keeps me from making 3D games because I would have to modify the editors myself/write a plugin for them which might not be that easy (especially when you're working with unfamiliar codebase).
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »

That might be added at some point. But here's the thing, I'm trying to keep Polycode from being too game-centeric, at least at the basic level (80% of what I use it for is not games) and physics editing is a little too game-specific for me. What I want to strive towards is making a flexible enough system where someone can add that easily to the editor. Right now you can edit arbitrary properties in the editor (and then pass them to the physics engine) , they just dont show up visually.

spolvid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2013, 11:33:41 PM »

Will there be anything in place to let applications output straight to video for use in stuff like the Depeche Mode video?
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2013, 06:27:01 AM »

That might be added at some point. But here's the thing, I'm trying to keep Polycode from being too game-centeric, at least at the basic level (80% of what I use it for is not games) and physics editing is a little too game-specific for me. What I want to strive towards is making a flexible enough system where someone can add that easily to the editor. Right now you can edit arbitrary properties in the editor (and then pass them to the physics engine) , they just dont show up visually.

I saw the Polycode gallery at the website and the current uses are very interesting and varying
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2013, 08:51:55 AM »

Even having the physics there makes it a bit game-specific. It's not a big work IMHO. Just a few buttons in the editor (or whatever way it's used) like Add Box collider, Add Ball collider etc. which add the collider to the scene and you can then move it using basic methods like the typical axis arrows etc. Cause otherwise there's not much use for the physics integration when you can't even use it properly/easily.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2013, 08:57:43 AM »

You can easily use it right now. Just have to do it from code. You can get entities by id or tag and apply physics to them. You would be surprised how much work goes into even simple dialogs like physics properties and at this point, it's not a priority to me. What I do want to work on, like I mentioned, is a way for folks to make their own editor enhancements via Lua.

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2013, 08:58:34 AM »

super excited for a binary release for this. really cool to see such varied usage.
also saw this on creativeapplications.net a while back and thought that was cool.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic